Advice?

My husband pays £77 a week child support to his ex. His son is 18 is in college and works and has recently become a father himself.
My question is when does a child stop being a child and surely if he's fathered his own child we shouldn't have to pay such a ludicrous amount? Advice would be grately appreciated.

Comments

• As far as the law states, his son becomes an adult at 16 if he chooses to leave school presumably to enter the work force, otherwise if he chooses to stay in education through further and higher education then he will continue to pay until he is 20. It's probably worth your while to follow and encourage his education as his own child will benefit from an educated father and if he fails at any point your husband will no-longer be liable to pay CSA.
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's 20 now.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nevans wrote: »
    My husband pays £77 a week child support to his ex. His son is 18 is in college and works and has recently become a father himself.

Surely his ex can't still claim CB for their son now that he has a child?

Child maintenance can also stop if, for example:
    the child stops being eligible for Child Benefit

https://www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Nevans wrote: »
    My question is when does a child stop being a child and surely if he's fathered his own child we shouldn't have to pay such a ludicrous amount? Advice would be grately appreciated.

What has him being a father got to do with it?

It's hardly ludicrous, it's £11 a day....

Typically child maintenance stops being paid when the child stops being named on a child benefit statement.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Surely his ex can't still claim CB for their son now that he has a child?

Child maintenance can also stop if, for example:
    the child stops being eligible for Child Benefit

www.gov.uk/when-child-maintenance-payments-stop

What if he was 14?

I know what you're saying but fathering a child doesn't make one an adult
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What has him being a father got to do with it?

Typically child maintenance stops being paid when the child stops being named on a child benefit statement.

From what I remember from an earlier post on here, you can't get CB for someone who is getting CB for their own child - they have to apply to benefits in their own right.

It might be that the baby's parents aren't together and that the mother is claiming CB as a single parent which would leave the OP's ex with the right to claim CB for the baby's father - and receive the related CM payments.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    From what I remember from an earlier post on here, you can't get CB for someone who is getting CB for their own child - they have to apply to benefits in their own right.

It might be that the baby's parents aren't together and that the mother is claiming CB as a single parent which would leave the OP's ex with the right to claim CB for the baby's father - and receive the related CM payments.

I'll have to check that out; I suspect that would be an exceptional circumstance and the courts would rule against any NRP who stopped paying on that basis.

On a side note - it's pathetic anyway - it's £11 a day for a child! Hardly breaking the bank. I'd like to think any decent and loving parent would support both child and grandchild...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure