Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poormanuk
    • By poormanuk 11th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    poormanuk
    Basic bank accounts-Need credit checks????
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:56 AM
    Basic bank accounts-Need credit checks???? 11th Jul 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hello there,

I have just asked my bank (Natwest) about a basic bank account for a friend. My friend has poor credit hostory and needs to change banks as Co-op has closed the nearest branch.

Natwest stated that ALL new accounts are credit checked, even if people know they have bad credit. Surely this is wrong? If someone wants a basic account, they should not have to go through the process of being denied an account rather than just applying for the one they know they can get? Surely this credit check would raise flags to other lenders etc and make credit worse? Seem perverse to me.

Is this just banks in general fobbing off customers to circumvent having to offer a foundation/basic account?

Keep smiling

Phil
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    Yes they are still credit and ID checked however as they are basic there is a higher approval rate.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 11th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    maxximus75
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    For a basic account I think with most banks you apply for a normal account and if you don't pass their internal scoring process then they will offer you a basic account?
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 11th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,203 Posts
    • 4,106 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    This may help
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 11th Jul 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 14,959 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:27 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:27 PM
    Hi

If your friend doesn!!!8217;t want to have a credit check done you could always open up a card based savings account which could be what they are wanting as no credit checks done apart from ID and address verification.

You don!!!8217;t mention why your friend wants an account but if it is to receive wages or regular income and not for direct debits then this could be a alternative option.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+11,000/12,000 = 91.66%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1000/1000 = 100.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-480/2000 = 51.00%

Total 13,122.59/15,865 = 82.71%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • poormanuk
    • By poormanuk 12th Jul 18, 1:17 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    poormanuk
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:17 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:17 AM
    Surely if someone has a bad credit score and they know it, then changing account would flag up as poor credit? This potentially worsens the credit score by the banks actions which really is not good business practice to create problems ?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jul 18, 2:06 AM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 19,260 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:06 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:06 AM
    Surely if someone has a bad credit score and they know it, then changing account would flag up as poor credit? This potentially worsens the credit score by the banks actions which really is not good business practice to create problems ?
    Originally posted by poormanuk
    The score means nothing. Nobody sees it apart from you/your friend. The banks look at credit history, and have no interest if your score is 0 or 1000000000.

As long as you/your friend aren't making endless other applications for credit (which would be a red flag to lenders), then one search for a new basic account isn't going to send the banks running for the hills. After all, basic accounts are pretty much designed for people with a poor credit history.
    Last edited by mije1983; 12-07-2018 at 2:08 AM.

• Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Jul 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:08 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:08 PM
    Hello there,

I have just asked my bank (Natwest) about a basic bank account for a friend. My friend has poor credit hostory and needs to change banks as Co-op has closed the nearest branch.

Natwest stated that ALL new accounts are credit checked, even if people know they have bad credit. Surely this is wrong? If someone wants a basic account, they should not have to go through the process of being denied an account rather than just applying for the one they know they can get? Surely this credit check would raise flags to other lenders etc and make credit worse? Seem perverse to me.

Is this just banks in general fobbing off customers to circumvent having to offer a foundation/basic account?

Keep smiling

Phil
    Originally posted by poormanuk
    According to threads I've replied in this is something of a bone of contention on MSE Forums. The consensus appears to be that no you don't get credit checked when you apply for a basic bank account because there is no credit involved. But they do credit check don't they? The other bone of contention is overdrafts and overdraft fees on basic bank accounts

Overall, you give permission to be credit checked when you apply and since overdraft fees are in the terms and conditions you also accept that too when you apply. Basically, advertising blurb to the contrary is meaningless!
    • venomx
    • By venomx 12th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    venomx
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    When i signed up for barclays online they accepted me and sent me my card etc in 3 working days, i have a poor credit history from years back when i was irresponsible

Monzo offer current accounts and just do a " Soft " credit check
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 13th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Monese also only does a 'soft' search.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

2,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin