smart electric heaters

Options
Hi all,
I have a tiny 3-bed house with no gas connection. At the moment there are 2 old storage heaters downstairs and panel heaters in the bedrooms.
I am looking to modernise the heating system cause i hate that:
1) there is no thermostat, so i have to keep adjusting manually every heater, sometimes i forget to close them and wake up sweating at night... it's bloody 2018, these feel like neanderthal problems.
2) the type of heat is awful, my cats have matted fur from all the electrostatic in the air.
Is there an electric heating system that is as comfortable as the gas system, suitable for mindless people, although might not be the cheapest?!
Please note, i am all for having a smart house: i much rather use some tech stuff, where i have to think once and never think again, than engage in tedious daily "turn the valve up or down".
Does any one have any recommendation?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I hope you will forgive me for being cynical, but we have many first time posters posing similar queries. Then along comes another new poster stating they have this fabulous system called xxxx that meets all the criteria, and costs a pittance to run.

There are thousands of posts on this part of the forum dealing with electrical heaters. The important point to note is that all electrical heating is 100% efficient and that includes the £10 fan heater from Argos to heaters filled and coated with all manner of exotic ingredients and costing over £1,500 for a simple plug in heater.

By 100% efficient it means that they all produce EXACTLY the same amount of heat for the same running cost.

If you need a 'smart' heating system, simple panel heaters can be very cheaply controlled for temperature, timing, remotely and on the web.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suggest one of these http://www.pactrolsolutions.com/403901-weather-watcher-including-external-sensor-54-p.asp together with a contactor in your consumer unit.

Then leave storage heater input at max and output at min.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 July 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    twyly75 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a tiny 3-bed house with no gas connection. At the moment there are 2 old storage heaters downstairs and panel heaters in the bedrooms.
    I am looking to modernise the heating system cause i hate that:
    1) there is no thermostat, so i have to keep adjusting manually every heater, sometimes i forget to close them and wake up sweating at night... it's bloody 2018, these feel like neanderthal problems.
    2) the type of heat is awful, my cats have matted fur from all the electrostatic in the air.
    Is there an electric heating system that is as comfortable as the gas system, suitable for mindless people, although might not be the cheapest?!
    Please note, i am all for having a smart house: i much rather use some tech stuff, where i have to think once and never think again, than engage in tedious daily "turn the valve up or down".
    Does any one have any recommendation?

Im in the same position and looking to update my electric warm air system. Id like to go smart
    with the heating but with normal rate electricity being three or four times more expensive than gas, very few if any are recommending smart radiators as main heating.
    If youre on Economy 7 then a couple of modern smart storage heaters downstairs would be cheapest as far as running costs go.
  • NeilForth
    NeilForth Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Panel heaters are your best bet, wet electrical central heating systems have hidden costs (much more costly to maintain) and are vastly more expensive to install in most cases. The only appliances that produce heat with electricity and give high reductions in fuel running costs are heat pumps. However, they are costly to install, can be very expensive to fix and will require significantly big radiators or underfloor heating installed to work.

Neil M. MCIPHE RP RHP EngTech
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport