PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a Sabichi double wall insulated teapot 1.2 litre, new for £3. Its £20 - £30 on line. Instead of making 3-4 cups of tea a.m. I now use this and a double layer of tea cosies. The tea stays piping hot for 2 hours. Then p.m. I make a pot of green/herbal tea, ditto. Deep joy
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    caroc wrote: »
    I bought a Sabichi double wall insulated teapot 1.2 litre, new for £3. Its £20 - £30 on line. Instead of making 3-4 cups of tea a.m. I now use this and a double layer of tea cosies. The tea stays piping hot for 2 hours. Then p.m. I make a pot of green/herbal tea, ditto. Deep joy

Doesn't the tea still stew though?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Wizzbang
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Popped in to drop some trousers off & ended up getting a £60 pair of monsoon cords for £4.

Be interested to know how you get on with them. I bought a pair in the sale some years ago and they were the worst cords I've ever owned. Within a year or two, all the velvet pile was wearing away, particularly on the knees. It's not like I spent a lot of time kneeling in them! I've never bought Monsoon since and stick to Debenhams which wash and wear fantastically for years. Think I've had mine 10 years now and as good as the day I bought them. Can find them for £8-£10 brand new in the sales and they do a shorter leg length too :)
    Minimalist

• Wizzbang
    Options
    Yesterday's CS bargains - £1.25 for 3 packs of baby announcement cards (will be needing those in a couple of weeks!)

10p for a Very Hungry Caterpillar ABC hardback book

£10 for a Silver Cross Pop pushchair, then managed to find someone on Facebook selling a cosy toes for it and a rain shield (negotiated both for £12). A darn sight better than buying the whole thing new for £175! Has come through the wash looking fab, not quite like new but I don't need it to look new.

Found some brand new Disney baby clothes for £1.50 a pop, still with tags on and my refurbed local Oxfam is now pretty much an M&S outlet it seems, so got a brand new pack of dinosaur baby grows in there for £3.99 for 3. Have also picked up some baby trousers for either 50p or £1 each from some top brands. And a coat £1 and John Lewis snow suit (£2) (just in case cos the weather's been so mental).

Then found local Cats Protection closing down, so bought all their kids coat hangers for £1. Also found teethers 2 for 49p, fine after a spin in the dishwasher and sterilising. 2 small wooden toys for 49p.Baby towels 99p each, picked up a couple - wasn't going to bother but Mum thought they'd be useful.
    Minimalist

• TensandUnits
    Options
    I have been scouring charity shops for vinyl LPs, but so far have only found things like Jim Reeves, Max Bygraves, TOTPs albums and various awful 'big at the time but now fallen into obscurity' 80s artists :rotfl:

I did however manage to find a brand new edition of a book for £2, which retails at £13 :money:

I think I may stick to EBay for buying records!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    This one isn't strictly a cs buy but is actually from the recycling centre. Today I popped in and they had a lovely teak garden chair complete with seat and back cushions that looked unused. I asked how much and thought they said £58 so I nearly collapsed in shock! He'd actually said £15 but they encourage a haggle so I offered £10 and he accepted. It looks like the chair on this site so I think I have a bargain even though it's just one chair

https://www.beliani.co.uk/sectional-outdoor-sofa-set-5-piece-patio-conversation-set-grey-manila.html?utm_source=google_prod_search_uk&utm_medium=beezup_uk&utm_campaign=prod_list_beezup_google_prod_search_uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pS-9v6R2gIVwjobCh2gmQkSEAQYCyABEgI1UfD_BwE

My other absolute bargain this week was a laura Ashley easy chair in immaculate condition in the mauve type colour I have in my lounge. It was free on a Facebook selling site and needed collecting from a mile away. It will look fab with the grey sofas I've got in there
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A lengthy trundle around my local charity shops this afternoon was fruitless :(. However, I have had a mini sort out and filled 2 big sacks ready to be donated. I'm off to spend Easter with friends in Bedale so will take them with me as I always like to take my stuff to a chazza a long way away so there is no chance of me inadvertently buying any of my stuff back, (not that I have ever done that *ahem*:o).

Thoughts please on my 'Moneysaving/Charity Shop Dilemma'. I have used 2 donation sacks from the BHF shop....is it acceptable to use one charity's bags to donate stuff to another charity shop? I will probably be dropping my stuff off at a Sue Ryder Shop due to ease of parking/heavy bags. Just wondering if this is ethical/acceptable/OK??

Thank yooo and Happy Easter (if you celebrate it) :EasterBun
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Thoughts please on my 'Moneysaving/Charity Shop Dilemma'. I have used 2 donation sacks from the BHF shop....is it acceptable to use one charity's bags to donate stuff to another charity shop?

Yes.

10 characters.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Today I bought a deep glass fluted dish for £1. Think 12" ramekin dish, can easily accommodate 2L of trifle :T
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Yesterday's CS bargains - £1.25 for 3 packs of baby announcement cards (will be needing those in a couple of weeks!)

10p for a Very Hungry Caterpillar ABC hardback book

£10 for a Silver Cross Pop pushchair, then managed to find someone on Facebook selling a cosy toes for it and a rain shield (negotiated both for £12). A darn sight better than buying the whole thing new for £175! Has come through the wash looking fab, not quite like new but I don't need it to look new.

Found some brand new Disney baby clothes for £1.50 a pop, still with tags on and my refurbed local Oxfam is now pretty much an M&S outlet it seems, so got a brand new pack of dinosaur baby grows in there for £3.99 for 3. Have also picked up some baby trousers for either 50p or £1 each from some top brands. And a coat £1 and John Lewis snow suit (£2) (just in case cos the weather's been so mental).

Then found local Cats Protection closing down, so bought all their kids coat hangers for £1. Also found teethers 2 for 49p, fine after a spin in the dishwasher and sterilising. 2 small wooden toys for 49p.Baby towels 99p each, picked up a couple - wasn't going to bother but Mum thought they'd be useful.
    Well done you! Now take the weight off your feet and relax until the baby comes along :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Despite trawling through dozens of CSs over the past week, the only thing I succumbed to was a set of three small yellow melamine dishes for £1. Acquisition anxiety kicked-in soon after and they were re-donated to another CS next day. Hopefully this represents the turning point from relentless accumulation to decluttering ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure