Bathroom tiles

Was wondering what is "fashionable " in bathroom tiles?

Have been looking round for my new bathroom and thought I would go for glossy but there doesn't seem to be many about. It made me think glossy would perhaps look dated. Any views on the subject?
Also having problems with the colour.
My bathroom is really small and north facing and doesn't get much light so thought I would go for a beige colour to warm things up. However, beige looks quite sickly and almost peachy and claustrophobic but grey looks cold.
Any ideas?

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I had the same concerns for my north east facing bathroom, and like you was worried that a beige-y colour would over do it. I went with these tiles from B&Q arranged horizontally in a brick pattern, and then had a border of these tiles from Tile Mountain as a six inch band around the whole room placed head height to add a bit of colour. The floor is tiled with black granite tiles with anthracite grout. I have warm led downlights and the room is not at all cold, everybody loves it.
  • I moved into my flat last year,and the first thing I did was get a builder into ripout the bathroom and start from scratch .
    The reason I hated my bathroom before, was because the small white tiles and blue border going across the middle looked dated ..and ugly
    The purple Lino which resembled a colour from a 70's drug dealers flat wasn't a good match either . Oh, and the bathroom has no windows
    The saving grace for me , was that only half of the bathroom was tiled and the upper wall and ceiling were painted. Fair enough, but the colour was like a mouldy tub of anchor butter.

So , I chose fairly dark brown laminate flooring . The tiles I chose are a light cocoa type colour and are very large . I painted the ceiling and walls white . So, 2 types of brown . I got away with it . :rotfl: Everyone loves it .

So , maybe if you looked at your overall colour scheme from too to bottom ? I was lucky to have a decent budget for once .:)
    Not sure of your flooring , but if budget allows change Lino for example ? Then hopefully you could have a colour in mind for your tiles? Maybe paint a neutral colour on walls,space permitting?

Forgot to mention if it helps, my tiles are not glossy:)
    Hope this helps
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:14AM
    Forget which way your room faces. I've designed that many bathrooms and the light changes through the day anyway so it's never the same. The overall feel of a really successful design is all about the design and matching, contrasting and complimenting materials. It has nothing to do with light or trying to make a room feel bigger. You want it to feel like you want to spend time relaxing it no, not 'bouncing light' around it.

If you want to nod to current trends then beige and cream is really something to steer clear of. It's dated.

Grey is not just one colour, it has a spectrum of its own so it isn't cold unless you pick a cold grey woth no proper colour mixed in to it. Current greys are actually very warm.

I don't pick gloss very much at the moment; matt appears more expensive and I also try to pick sizes that aren't too ordinary. Large format tiles for me when there's more budget, otherwise a longer, thinner tile that the usual 20x10cm metro tile, but similar.

Being restrictd to shopping in B&Q or Topps Tiles would make me suicidal these days as choice is poor and Topps is a rip off. It's more expensive than Fired Earth where ranges are similar. Walls & Floors have so much choice, I'd start there.

Example:

Topps: https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod41885/linear-grey-matt-tile.html?utm_source=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwkrrbBRB9EiwAhlN8_OFUl5cjM_6aDyFzR2p5l3rKCflAswiUr_39ZZKJ_SJajfKldGmkqRoC4lgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Walls and Floors:
    https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/linear-tiles-grey-matt-linear-tiles?gclid=CjwKCAjwkrrbBRB9EiwAhlN8_DulQHpysEJN8VeDMO4fBP4gSqtTLhva19flOS4Gkk1_AjHs10Dt9RoCDRsQAvD_BwE

Same tile, less than half the price.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I use a design similar to this in my rentals:

entranching-36-art-deco-green-bathroom-tiles-ideas-and-pictures-on-fixtures.jpg

I think (hope) that by choosing a retro design, it will never look dated.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    I use a design similar to this in my rentals:

entranching-36-art-deco-green-bathroom-tiles-ideas-and-pictures-on-fixtures.jpg

I think (hope) that by choosing a retro design, it will never look dated.

I love Art Deco - long may it live !
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cant you do the lower half of your wall in white tiles and leave the upper half to paint/repaint as you see fit? Obviously, it you have a shower you will have to do floor to ceiling in that section.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I thought grey was so "last week". Remember if you go for super trendy it will be super dated long before you want to replace it.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I know you have a small bathroom so this comment might not apply.

Having had numerous bathrooms over the years, all with traditionally small (approx 6" square tiles) I now realise how useful the large tiles (approx 12" X 24") are. We had them fitted in our bathroom a few years ago. Matt/off white on the walls and matt/light grey on the floor.

Not only are they stylish (a matter of taste of course) but particularly above and around the shower/bath they have the great benefit of having a low area of grout, so that they are really easy to keep clean.

We also use one of those little window vacuums and a microfiber cloth to dry down our shower walls each time and the grout stays as good as new.

You will find it hard doing that with small tiles. So my advice is - whatever colour and finish you choose, go big with the tiles.

Another choice might be those big panels you can buy. I think it's called bathroom cladding. Various colours and patterns and no grout at all.
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I thought grey was so "last week". Remember if you go for super trendy it will be super dated long before you want to replace it.

So what are the fashionable colours now without going dark?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 August 2018 at 2:35PM
    moonpenny wrote: »
    So what are the fashionable colours now without going dark?
    I'm a 67 year old man. I have no idea. I would use colours I like, not colours other people like.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure