Charging your 18 year old rent

Options
My daughter has recently turned 18 and just finishing college. Her boyfriend who’s the same age, also lives with us and has done for almost 2 years. I also have a 15 year old son.

I receive maintenance from the children’s dad but this will stop on my daughters side of things soon. She also has a part time job. So does her boyfriend.

My daughter is going to university but will be staying at home. She will receive the maintenance that I received from her dad to help her with car and other costs. She has also applied for a student maintenance loan. So all in all she will have a fair amount of money coming in her bank. She is willing to pay rent but I just can’t decide how much. Bills are fairly high and I still have a mortgage.. how much is fair? I’ll be losing both hers and her boyfriends child benefit but I pay her boyfriends child benefit back to him. Do I suggest to charge both my daughter and boyfriend. Hopefully once finished college he will get an apprenticeship in software development in London.

It’s a really hard decision but I feel it will teach them the cost of living plus how to manage their finances.

Anyone’s experiences will be appreciated.

Thank you !!!128591;

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Starting point is how much could you let the room for to a lodger / how much would your daughter have to pay to lodge somewhere else?

Then probably negotiate around 2/3rds of that.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go for 65% of market rate of the room
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Many threads on the main marriage, family etc board discussing this.

Answers vary between charge nothing as why do you want to profit from your children to charge them full lodger rate so they understand the meaning of money.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much maintenance loan will she receive? My son is the same age, finishing college soon and hopefully going to Uni. He will get the min loan due to our household income. We are paying my son's accommodation costs for him. If he were to live at home I wouldn't charge him due to his smaller loan. If he was to receive a larger loan though, then yes I would charge. The boyfriend should also contribute once he finishes college.
  • Robots
    Robots Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    It's really down to how good or bad your finances are - can you afford to fully support her? If not, then you should ask her to pay board. If you can afford it, then it may be a good idea for you to help her out by not asking for board.

I had to pay board to my mother which accounted for about 40% of my income at the time - she couldn't afford to keep me (as an adult) so I think it was fair.
    Veteran gamer and clean freak :kiss:
  • DrivingMissDaisy
    Options
    Charge both her and her bf the maintenance amount you used to receive.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would charge but I would take half and put it into savings for her/them.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I would charge but I would take half and put it into savings for her/them.

Why do people suggest this? Are they not capable of saving themselves?
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have been giving the boyfriend his Child Benefit back to him are you 100% paying for his living costs for the last 2 years?

He is a very lucky young man to have such support.

I would charge them the going rate for a room in your area (between them) leave it to them to decide what % each of them pays. I.e. who earns more pays more.
  • fibonarchie
    Options
    Her income is a loan, which she has to pay back, so it seems unfair to treat this as a 'cash-cow'. Your financial difficulties are not your children's problem (sorry if this sounds a bit harsh). If you must charge her, it should be just a token amount.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure