amazon will not refund

I bought an electronic item recently from an amazon market seller. Shortly after ordering I realised I had misread the description. So when the item arrived I left it in the packaging and put another box around it and processed the return process.

One slight issue , The item was bought with gift card (from BT) that was close to expiring so I contacted amazon who messaged the seller who agreed to refund the amount as an amazon credit.

The parcel arrived back and seller did the opposite and returned the refund back to gift card. I have evidence of the messages agreeing to return as an amazon credit.

After a lot messages and an awkward phone call the bottom line is that amazon have said we made the refund so that is it ?

I am waiting for a response back from the gift card company but I will not hold my breath.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Has the gift card expired? I think that technically the seller has done nothing wrong. It's not their concern that you paid with a gift card that was close to expiry. If Amazon has said that as far as they're concerned the transaction has been completed (which it has) then you are left waiting to see if the gift card company will extend the expiry date on the now credited card so you can spend it.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 4:15PM
    Deleted read the cards wrong .
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    You have had the money back but on an Amazon gift card valid 12 months +.
    As opposed to a nearly expired card .
    I know which i would prefer .

It doesn't say anywhere that the refund was to an Amazon gift card or that it is valid for 12 months +. In the absence of any other evidence it seems most likely that the refund has been made to the original gift card.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    You have had the money back but on an Amazon gift card valid 12 months +.
    As opposed to a nearly expired card .
    I know which i would prefer .

I don't think that's correct. I read it as the OP asked for Amazon credit, and it was agreed, but the seller refunded back onto the nearly expired/now expired BT gift card.
    The item was bought with gift card (from BT) that was close to expiring so I contacted amazon who messaged the seller who agreed to refund the amount as an amazon credit.

The parcel arrived back and seller did the opposite and returned the refund back to gift card.
  • mije1983 wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct. I read it as the OP asked for Amazon credit, and it was agreed, but the seller refunded back onto the nearly expired/now expired BT gift card.

correct as above and yes it has expired at the end of July

I see that as some form of contractual agreement but is amazon responsible in anyway. They did ask the seller to refund as an amazon credit and the seller agreed but in reality the opposite
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    I sell on amazon, the seller has no choice where the refund goes, all they have is a button that says refund. You need to contact Amazon directly. The seller cannot help you as they have issued a refund, Amazon control where it goes. You need to contact Amazon directly.
  • sjbrun wrote: »
    I sell on amazon, the seller has no choice where the refund goes, all they have is a button that says refund. You need to contact Amazon directly. The seller cannot help you as they have issued a refund, Amazon control where it goes. You need to contact Amazon directly.

Yes the seller told me to contact amazon and they told me the refund had been made so that is it. The thing that annoys me was that amazon messaged the seller and told them not to refund back to the card. I even offered the seller the option of sending out an alternative product before they made the refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure