Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Comments

• mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    jansel wrote: »
    BEWARE! when negotiating a 'deal' with Virgin. My Tale of Woe.

I was paying £9.27 per month to Virgin Mobile for a 30 day rolling contract. I found a better deal for £5 per month with iD mobile so contacted Virgin and spoke to their retention team. They then offered me a similar deal for £6/month which I accepted. I asked for confirmation by email but they said they aren't allowed to send outgoing email and that I will receive the new contract by post. I have now received my first bill which is for £13/month. So I contacted Virgin Mobile and they said that the person who offered me the £6 deal was not allowed to and they cannot honour this deal. The guy had the nerve to tell me that in any case I don't even use the allowance of mins/txt/data that I have in my £6 deal so I should take a lower allowance deal for £6 !! I asked to speak to the supervisor saying I wasn't happy with this treatment. She just said "Sorry, there isn't anything they can do". I am also a long standing Virgin Media customer with the 200MB Fibre BB, Full House TV and anytime phone paying £100/month. I reminded them that I will be taking my custom elsewhere but they didn't seem to care. So, in the first instance I cancelled my SIM contract with 30 days' notice and will now be doing the same for the BB/TV/Phone package.

Thanks for the heads up, I was with Virgin years ago and had a similar failure to provide what was promised, it put me right off the company and moved the brand to my "bad suppliers list".

It is interesting to see nothing has changed, the idea that an email can't be sent out to confirm is a joke and if someone refused to put me through to a manager I would call back and ask to be put through to someone to make a complaint about the conduct of a member of staff. I would also so a subject access request for a copy of the phone call.

I find it totally obscene that they would not even revert to old contract despite you having been a long serving customer.

People make a lot about Virgin and Richard Branson making it an ethical company but I find their conduct in this matter totally unethical, having said that I think Branson sold off various Virgin brands so I have no idea if it is still one brand and one that avoid.
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Timalay wrote: »
    Got a new deal with Tesco last week. Was getting 750 mins, 5,000 texts, and 6GB of data for £12.50. Now for the same money, I get everything almost the same except I now get 5,000 mins.

Was that a new deal from their site or a call to negotiate?

I had was a contract for a member of my family with Tesco, they gave me more allowances as a loyalty because they had screwed up on some things.

However, when they offered better on their site they insisted I would lose that loyalty bonus, so I did not upgrade and they eventually lost a customer.
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    mbmonty wrote: »
    Was that a new deal from their site or a call to negotiate?

I had was a contract for a member of my family with Tesco, they gave me more allowances as a loyalty because they had screwed up on some things.

However, when they offered better on their site they insisted I would lose that loyalty bonus, so I did not upgrade and they eventually lost a customer.

It was on their site (gone now by the looks of things), but I went to my local store and changed to it.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just managed to get the following from Virgin on the phone as a new customer, no virgin media or anything.
    1500 mins
    Unlimited texts
    2gb data
    12 month contract
    £5
    This deal was on their website through a hukd link for existing media customers, but I called and asked nicely and got it anyway.
    Had to call twice, first person said no.
  • mbmonty
    First Anniversary
    Well we have seen Virgin not honour what has been agreed on the phone, so be prepared.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have it all in writing, all is well.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I'm looking for the cheapest possible sim-only deal with at least 5GB of data. The cheapest I have found myself is Virgin @ £9/month. Does anyone know of any better deal ? - This one also comes with 2,500 minutes and Unlimited Texts. 12 month contract.

Thanks
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    darren72 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for the cheapest possible sim-only deal with at least 5GB of data. The cheapest I have found myself is Virgin @ £9/month. Does anyone know of any better deal ? - This one also comes with 2,500 minutes and Unlimited Texts. 12 month contract.

Thanks

I haven't seen cheaper. Nearest to that was a 6GB deal for £11 iirc, on Plusnet.
    ====
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    rev_henry wrote: »
    I've just managed to get the following from Virgin on the phone as a new customer, no virgin media or anything.
    1500 mins
    Unlimited texts
    2gb data
    12 month contract
    £5
    This deal was on their website through a hukd link for existing media customers, but I called and asked nicely and got it anyway.
    Had to call twice, first person said no.

They didn't mention this deal to me when I rang up to ask if there was a better deal. I need a bit more data but they only offered another half a gig more but for a deal costing £1 a month more. I cancelled so next month will be with someone new. Loyalty gets you nowhere.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    babyblooz wrote: »
    They didn't mention this deal to me when I rang up to ask if there was a better deal. I need a bit more data but they only offered another half a gig more but for a deal costing £1 a month more. I cancelled so next month will be with someone new. Loyalty gets you nowhere.

Virgin are/were doing 4GB for £8, I got EE to price match it recently.
    ====
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure