PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Corned Beef Hash

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    squeaky wrote:
    I'm lazy. Boil and then drain & mash the potato in the saucepan, add chopped corned beef and mash a bit more. Pour some gravy over it, and maybe throw some peas in and, when I'm on my own - eat it straight out of the saucepan. Yummy. And minimal washing up. :)

But Squeaky, the best bit is the crunchy topping when done in the oven or under the grill :rolleyes:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Watch my lips... I'm lazy... :p:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    .......:p :p:D
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Try a variation on a theme, pre cook a chopped up onion, melt some dripping in a pan and put in onion and sliced potato and pepper (no salt), put the lid on the pan and give it a good shake so the dripping coats the potato, then put a veggi stock cube in a very small amount of water and pour it down the side of the pan, put the lid on and turn down the heat, give the pan a couple of shakes whilst the potato is cooking, then they are soft and slushy turn off the heat and put in a tin of chopped up corned beef, put the lid back on the pan and leave for about 10 minutes, then serve........ a variation on stovies I learnt to cook when we were living in Scotland. It was a Monday washday dish, served with brown sauce and thick slices of bread and butter. I usually serve it with baked beans with most of the liquor poured out.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • mcoletta
    mcoletta Posts: 102 Forumite
    Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone had a recipe for corned beef hash? Thanks in advance.
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Here`s mine.I put peeled chopped up potatoes in pan along with a couple of carrots and an onion - all chopped up then cut up the contents of a tin of corned beef.Fill pan with water, add salt and pepper and bring to boil.Then let it simmer for a couple of hours.Have a taste now and again to see if you need more seasoning.enjoy.
    val
  • SueRob_2
    SueRob_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    My CBH recipe is as follows:-
    Boil and mash some potatoes
    Soften a chopped onion in a little oil
    Mix together onion, mashed pots & tin of corned beef
    Cook on the hob over a low heat in a thick bottomed frying pan till brown & crispy on the bottom.
    Sue
    The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    For cornbeef hash I just mash cornbeef into mashed potato and fry.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Peel and dice about 2-3 lbs potatoes, put in a pan with a chopped onion, couple of carrots. Add a stock cube and pour over boiling water. Cook till soft, add pinch mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste. (I like brown sauce in ours.) Add the diced corned beef at the end so it stays cubed. If you like it mixed in just keep stirring till it breaks up. If you like a lot of corned beef use the whole tin, if not, use half and freeze the rest for another day.

Takes about 20 mins, start to finish, it's not called "mile-a-minute" stew for nothing!

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    boil onions and potatoes
    mash & season
    add corned beef and mash again
    put in an oven dish and top with grated cheese
    bake til cheese is bubbly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories