We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks for the link about whiteflies, will have a good read today (was very manic at work yesterday and then at home, so didn't have chance).

I give the tomatoes a good shake every morning and evening *shrugs* they get a fair bit of wind where they are too. They look otherwise healthy. I don't know what's up with them.

One of my courgette plants has come over all ill looking. It's the one that it potted. some of the older leaves have gone all yellowish/brownish looking, like they are dying off. The others look like they have mildew. Sigh.

Had some rain last night at least :)

I can't get any proper time out there until tomorrow morning (still limited as have got DDs bday party at 2pm), or Sunday afternoon. Hope everything remains OK until then!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • euronorris
    Ok, I've had a better look this morning and there are multiple tomatoes forming. I'm just being impatient lol!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done. Now the wait for them to start turning from green to red
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mnd wrote: »
    Well done. Now the wait for them to start turning from green to red

I've had some likely candidates for some weeks now, but they just don't seem to be turning - last year I got my first tomato in early July, but I guess the heatwave had a hand in that because in 2017 it was nearer mid/end of August

Meanwhile just picked a handful of small courgettes say 3-4" each plus some smaller ones yellowing at the end - now I know why they do that I pick them immediately so they don't go to waste (they go in the ramen)

I also started my plan for next season (more wildflowers)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    Thanks. Will definitely be weeks yet before they ripen. I expect close to end of august.

In other news, I held out and waited on the pea plants. I told myself I'd give them until this weekend, and if ko new growth, then I'd yank them out. On Wednesday, nothing. Today, new growth and even saw a new flower formed at the back! So looks like I'm holding onto them for a second round :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    euronorris wrote: »
    In other news, I held out and waited on the pea plants. I told myself I'd give them until this weekend, and if ko new growth, then I'd yank them out. On Wednesday, nothing. Today, new growth and even saw a new flower formed at the back! So looks like I'm holding onto them for a second round :)

Phew! I always hope others can benefit from the bits I find out by experimenting or by accident. Here's to a worthwhile second crop :beer:

unrecordings - I might have missed it - why do the courgettes sometimes start to rot at the ends?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings - I might have missed it - why do the courgettes sometimes start to rot at the ends?

Think it was wikipedia of all places: they start to go yellow as a sign they've not been pollinated properly, so I guess the rot follows as the plant abandons that particular fruit - in short, get 'em early if they start to go yellow and there's still a good bit of green to use on the fruit - they won't get any bigger/better

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ooh. Thank you! Definitely worth knowing. I am covered in nettle stings and goose grass "burns" from attempting to clear some bindweed. Nothing permanent, just trying to stop the strangulation
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • unrecordings
    Talking of which - thought I'd get out there today and pick carrots & cabbage to go with our roast. The carrots are still far too small so I turned my attention to the neglected onions, which I've left in a little too long - and my chair broke... ...cue half an hour with my legs in the air and an FSC certified pile of firewood wedging me between two raised beds while Mrs Un prized me out using bubblewrap and the very excellent Town & Country kneeler.
    I've not had that much exercise in nearly two weeks. No injuries, but I did learn something new about water retention: leaky feet

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Talking of which - thought I'd get out there today and pick carrots & cabbage to go with our roast. The carrots are still far too small so I turned my attention to the neglected onions, which I've left in a little too long - and my chair broke... ...cue half an hour with my legs in the air and an FSC certified pile of firewood wedging me between two raised beds while Mrs Un prized me out using bubblewrap and the very excellent Town & Country kneeler.
    I've not had that much exercise in nearly two weeks. No injuries, but I did learn something new about water retention: leaky feet

Oops, Hope you are Ok, It's not something you want to repeat!! by the way love your offbeat sense of humour.

Planted a bed of kohlrabi and netted them well as the pesky rabbits had the last lot, just as they had started to swell and I was considering trying one.
    Pulled out the first lot of spent dwarf beans and the first lot of mangetout. Replaced them with some cauliflowers called Nemo. I'm usually not that successful with caulis but I'm going to have another go.
    Did the usual watering.
    At some stage tomorrow I must put out more beetroot and some more fennel, oh and the paths need strimming so I need to put the battery on charge tonight - mustn't forget.

There is more but DH has just come in for his tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure