Don't be fooled by cunning con artists

Options
peterbaker
peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
edited 30 July 2018 at 12:03PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
I guess this is apt for the times - a July standard notification message in online banking from one of the majors - maybe sent to all customers or maybe to over 60s?:

Personal: Don't be fooled by cunning con artists

Fraudsters can "spoof" text messages and set up emails to make them look like they're from us. Never give out your personal or financial information via email or text message. If you receive a phone call and you're not totally sure that it's from us, call us back instead. You can dial the number on the back of your Barclays debit card or use our number checker to make sure any other number is genuine. Just search "Barclays number checker" in your web browser. Get top tips on staying digitally safe and find out about our Digital Eagle events - visit https://www.barclays.co.uk/digitaleagles or follow us on Twitter @Digitaleagles
{my red bolded}

It might have been pertinent to warn customers what happens if you do get fooled and lose money from your account, not just by persons masquerading as your bank, but e.g. from Microsoft Tech Support.

Will you ever get your money back? Now there's a question with hopefully non-evasive answers from your bank, and well worth knowing in advance. Perhaps worth calling your bank to find out now? For example,
  • Are you still allowed by your bank to routinely answer the phone by giving out Personal Data e.g. your name and number?
  • Are you still allowed to answer the phone whilst operating your computer or must you switch it off and stay away from it for the duration of the call?
Crazy questions to put to your bank? Maybe not anymore.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Banks are hardly going to make an open-ended commitment to reimburse fraud victims, are they?!

Obviously if there are any legal/regulatory obligations to refund, then they'd be required to do so, or if there's any element of negligence from the bank, then they'd be expected to compensate accordingly, but that's very different from some sort of blank cheque approach to paying out for matters over which they have no control....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you do get "fooled" by such things, then close all your bank accounts, email accounts, Facebook accounts, and disconnect your router and phone line.

And never touch them. Ever again. Ever.
  • peterbaker
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Banks are hardly going to make an open-ended commitment to reimburse fraud victims, are they?!
    Is that so? On what kind of spectrum do you think from kindness to ruthlessness?
    Obviously if there are any legal/regulatory obligations to refund, then they'd be required to do so, or if there's any element of negligence from the bank, then they'd be expected to compensate accordingly, but that's very different from some sort of blank cheque approach to paying out for matters over which they have no control....
    Ah ... ingrained pre 2010 financial services culture still alive, unimproved and kicking I see ;)
  • peterbaker
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    If you do get "fooled" by such things, then close all your bank accounts, email accounts, Facebook accounts, and disconnect your router and phone line.

And never touch them. Ever again. Ever.
    There is an unfortunately fast growing group in the UK who are stuck at home, inadequately supervised instead of under proper state-funded care for whom sadly that might be very very good advice.

(Think cognitive decline with age, and Alzheimers and Dementia, and Social Care budgets decimated ...)

Banks know there are pots of serious money in their care belonging to vulnerable customers like that - far bigger pots of money than in the hands of generations that followed. I applaud Barclays for starting a modest movement to acknowledge the dangers - if you visit the links you get a feel for who they really mean to aim this message at.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    peterbaker wrote: »
    Is that so? On what kind of spectrum do you think from kindness to ruthlessness?
    Banks are commercial organisations who are in business to make profits. They will accept responsibility for what they need to accept, but can hardly be realistically expected to unquestioningly underwrite the consequences of negligence by their customers. Naturally that doesn't preclude them from trying to educate customers about the perils of phishing, etc, but that doesn't make it the banks' responsibility to accept liability for losses.
    Ah ... ingrained pre 2010 financial services culture still alive, unimproved and kicking I see ;)
    I don't subscribe so can't access that paywalled article but feel free to copy/paste whatever it is that you're looking to refer to and then it can be debated as necessary!
  • eskbanker
    Options
    I applaud Barclays for starting a modest movement to acknowledge the dangers - if you visit the links you get a feel for who they really mean to aim this message at.
    I'm unconvinced that this is Barclays starting a movement, from a quick squint at the websites of the major players they're all doing much the same thing, i.e. warning about the various most common types of fraud, including phone scams among all the others:

https://www.lloydsbank.com/help-guidance/protecting-yourself-from-fraud.asp
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/what-you-can-do/
    https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/security-centre.html
    https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/help-support/security-centre/keeping-yourself-secure
  • MisterMotivated
    Options
    I applaud Barclays for starting a modest movement to acknowledge the dangers - if you visit the links you get a feel for who they really mean to aim this message at.

Every bank I have accounts with (quite a few) regularly sends emails and include information on their website about possible scams and how to avoid them.

There's no way banks could (or should) agree to unquestioningly reimburse fraud victims. For a start, they'd open them up to unscrupulous people withdrawing their own money then claiming a fraudster tricked them into it. It's bad enough with the nonsense people share on Facebook* without questioning whether there's any truth to it, if they lose all need to consciously think about their own finances, I dread to think where we'll end up.

*my favourite Facebook example goes something like: "This month has 5 Mondays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays, which only happens every 823 years; it brings super good luck and means you'll win the lottery 3 times in a row." Two seconds of objective thought would let you realise any 31 day month beginning on a Saturday (this December for example) will meet this criteria.
  • peterbaker
    edited 30 July 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Banks are commercial organisations who are in business to make profits. They will accept responsibility for what they need to accept, but can hardly be realistically expected to unquestioningly underwrite the consequences of negligence by their customers. Naturally that doesn't preclude them from trying to educate customers about the perils of phishing, etc, but that doesn't make it the banks' responsibility to accept liability for losses.

I don't subscribe so can't access that paywalled article but feel free to copy/paste whatever it is that you're looking to refer to and then it can be debated as necessary!
    Sorry I have been subscribed for free with FT for donkeys years. With a username like yours, I'd have expected you might recognise the title of the letter - it was a letter to FT by Marcus Agius and 16 other financial services chairmen/CEO's about improving their corporate culture.

So I have been able to refer back to it many times over the years and the thrust of the thing is still fresh in my mind. Sadly it was never fresh in the minds of the financial services industry bosses after they licked the stamp and posted the thing to FT.com

Anyway I am not permitted to copy FT.com articles, but you lucky MSE'ers can read most of the text of an erstwhile Barclays Chairman's letter which was published originally under the FT title "Financial leaders pledge excellence and integrity", within a third party article a couple of weeks after the original letter hit the press.

The letter text is in italics, punctuated this time with a bit of tolerable commentary, courtesy of another website ;)

Resonate, does it, with anything that you could possibly tolerate in moderation of corporate headlong drives for legal profits?

PS I will try to find a full copy of the text somewhere for free ... oops here we go, some kind persons appear to have used it in evidence of something as part of a legal case file and then published it online : http://www.fortfield.com/casefiles/ft-financial-leaders-pledge-excellence-integrity-28sept2010.pdf
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I guess this is apt for the times - a July standard notification message in online banking from one of the majors - maybe sent to all customers or maybe to over 60s?:
    'Cos us old people are really vulnerable!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • peterbaker
    edited 30 July 2018 at 10:20PM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    'Cos us old people are really vulnerable!
    We all will be at some stage, if we don't pop off first! It is quite interesting how fast some of the younger more unfortunate over 60s decline cognitively, whereas a few over 90s are quite sharp.

One secret I guess is if you have a brain, keep stretching it else you might begin to lose it. Others however succumb to Alzheimers or dementia or similar and currently, unless Eli Lilly get their skates on, can't do much to stop it. Some suffer far too young with it, and many go undiagnosed to the grave because few UK doctors seem to want to be responsible for such a diagnosis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure