Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's as always down to location, ours is not an ex council house but I would much rather that than a pretty house in a location I didn't like as much. Undofrtunatly in London you sometimes don't get either :rotfl:

Can't speak for the rest of the country but house prices are up 22% in our borough for the last two years (looked this up to frighten Dd and boyfriend into saving more!) there are a never ending stream of rich people, I would love be to know what they all do for a living, mostly its stockbrokers and bankers it seems.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK wrote: »

Red squirrel, if it's something you really want to do it is worth spending the money, in my opinion. :)

Oh Alex, bless you! We don't all have pens lying around worth thousands of pounds! :o
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Alex~~I think sometimes people buy these new buids as that's what they can afford.
    Also people want to be to able to say they have xx bedooms & xx ensuites blah blah.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK wrote: »

ETA: what!!!8217;s going on when I post on my iPad with apostrophes?

Apparently it is a smart punctuation setting you need to turn off in settings (keyboard) and is an IOS11 issue - it hasn't affected me yet so I can't give you clear instructions. There is a thread on the site feedback area that makes some suggestions. Rumour has it the same tweaking that resulted in thousands of change password prompts also triggered this
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alex, agree that new builds are on the cramped side at the more affordable end of the market, but that's just the country we live in (rabbit hutch Britain)!

Despite their lack of charm and space on occasion, I'd argue that a well built new build property is superior to most of what has gone before. They are easier to maintain. I'm sure you hate PVC, but windows, gutters and fascias etc. last decades without any maintenance being required, insulation is a good thing and they probably promote better health as they are warm, secure and draft free...

You also have to remember that there are polar extremes in the new build market, from rabbit hutches to McMansions. I have seen some very nice new builds for people with deeper pockets. For example, I looked at an advert for massive new builds in a Scottish coastal location (a wee bit out of the way). 5 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, massive 2 car garage, library and large open plan living areas. Not bad for £400k.
  • I would rather live in a an old house, Alex, but I know people who would refuse to buy old. I imagine they worry about maintenance and assume that there would be less on a new build.

I dislike them, personally, but I guess if it was the difference between being able to buy and not, I'd suck it up.

*Watches tumbleweed blow by*

Hey! Where is everyone?
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,163
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm still popping in <echo, o, o, o>>>>

Daisy !!!55357;!!!56842;
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Hope all is well.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :)

Will try to respond properly tomorrow as it is late and I need to sleep.

Not been on MSE for a few days. Things have been busy both at work and home. Unfortunately, my son is having some trouble at school with a couple of other children. This has been something which has been somewhat ongoing but has become more problematic extending into half term as they live in the village and my son went to another child's house to play. My son isn't entirely innocent after telling the rest of the school something my mother had said about this particular family which I hadn't realised my son had heard. I've tried to speak to one of the parents. However, they've long decided they dislike me after I made a flippant comment which was meant to be a joke but they didn't take as such and could make someone perceive I hold negative views about this particular family. :mad: This has been on my mind every evening, so not been the best company over the last few days.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Oh dear, sounds like it was all avoidable Alex :(

I hope you manage to sort things out with the other parents and children, it would be a shame if things went downhill when he has been doing so well at school.

Also a very good reason to limit time spent with your parents and lay down the law! Small ears should not be hearing that kind of unpleasantness. I've done it myself in the past Alex, my fil made a few racist comments in front of our Dd when she was a toddler so I asked them to leave our house, it didn't go down well, but it didn't happen again.

How is littlek? I hope he is still ok going to school, take care :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure