Refund to cancelled credit cardBarclay -ex egg)-what happens

Supplier has agreed to give me a refund for a sofa purchased 4 years ago.

This was bought with a Barclaycard when the card provided two cards -an American Express version and another(can't remember if Visa or Mastercard)
Barclay card cancelled both these cards when they reduced cash back percentages.
Anyone an idea what will happen in this situation?

The supplier is aware that the card has been cancelled and says that they will have to wait until repayment is returned after which they will issue a cheque.
Anyone been in this situation and have any idea how quickly Barclay card will return the funds to the supplier?
Thanks
Ken

Comments

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    AIUI - the card is closed but isn't completely deleted - the reference is still active on Visa or Mastercard's processing network, it just can't accept any new transactions. So the refund will hit your closed account, and as long as no debt is outstanding Barclaycard will then owe you that amount.

How long this 'shadow' lasts for, I don't know.

If you contact Barclaycard they should be able to advise.
  • twokcc
    twokcc Posts: 243 Forumite
    Thanks for advise WillPS I still have a Barclay card and have therefore sent them a secure msg.
    No longer use card for purchases but have a 0% interest balance on card so don't want refund to be against current outstanding balance as its about 10 months payments. Asked them to confirm that money will be returned o supplier. Should get an answer within 24 hrs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    twokcc wrote: »
    Thanks for advise WillPS I still have a Barclay card and have therefore sent them a secure msg.
    No longer use card for purchases but have a 0% interest balance on card so don't want refund to be against current outstanding balance as its about 10 months payments.

It won't be applied to a card that wasn't used for the transaction.

It should be sent from Barclaycard to you once they receive it, but chase it up/pre-warn them.
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The journey was something like
    Egg
    2011? > Barclaycard World Mastercard
    Sep 2014 > Barclaycard Amex+Visa
    Sep 2017 > Barclaycard Visa

If you made it to the end of the journey and still have the Barclaycard Visa (paying 0.5% cashback), expect the refund to land there.

PochiSoldi
  • twokcc
    It was the Barclaycard Amex so hopefully will get a refund back to me(so can offset it against cost of new sofa bought on new Amex card.
  • twokcc wrote: »
    It was the Barclaycard Amex so hopefully will get a refund back to me(so can offset it against cost of new sofa bought on new Amex card.

I had a refund to my Barclaycard Amex after it was cancelled (became Visa only) and it was allocated fine to my account.

If it doesn't allocate fine, you can give Barclaycard a call, as you'll have a receipt etc.

If it bounces, they can issue a cheque / bank transfer / refund to another card.
  • twokcc
    Don't want it allocated to my current Barclay card account as I cleared balance and then did a zero percent balance transfer on which I am making minimum payments and for which interest free period has still more than a year to run.
    Barclay card have replied that this is what will happen but at same time says account number is the same(which I don't think it is).
    Will see if I can check old and new account no's and contact Barclay card again. Really want cash(or cheque) refund to me so that I can pay charge for new settee with it
  • twokcc wrote: »
    Don't want it allocated to my current Barclay card account as I cleared balance and then did a zero percent balance transfer on which I am making minimum payments and for which interest free period has still more than a year to run.
    Barclay card have replied that this is what will happen but at same time says account number is the same(which I don't think it is).
    Will see if I can check old and new account no's and contact Barclay card again. Really want cash(or cheque) refund to me so that I can pay charge for new settee with it

Easiest approach might be to tell the retailer doing the refund that the account is closed, and ask "can I have a cheque please?".

If they push the refund via the card, then it's out of your hands. (Think yourself lucky if you don't get the cashback clawed back!)

PochiSoldi
  • twokcc
    pochisoldi wrote: »
    Easiest approach might be to tell the retailer doing the refund that the account is closed, and ask "can I have a cheque please?".

If they push the refund via the card, then it's out of your hands. (Think yourself lucky if you don't get the cashback clawed back!)

PochiSoldi

Did this when I made new purchase but they said they would have to send refund back to barclaycard but when this was returned they would issue me with a cheque, if Barclays want to claw back 1% that wouldn't concern me. Geting a refund in full on a settee that I have used for 4.5 yrs was a win situation. Just sorting the financial side out that is the problem.

Looked further into account no, purchase made march 2014, shows as on old Am. Ex card on statement but statement does not give either card no or account no. Then had a letter dated 9th may 2014 from Barclaycard tht my account no had changed, but doesn't give either old or new account no.
    Msg.Barclaycard with above info and asked if the can either refund amount to my bank account or return to supplier(they already said they will THEN issue cheque)

Previously found barclaycard to be accommodating (fowled up massively when old cards withdrawn with monthly subscriptions- which apparently are different to regular monthly payments!!!!
    Even after assuring me a payment for a monthly payment(subsciption- to me) would be automatically transfered it didn't although others did.
    Not had any problems since.

Will update once got any further
  • twokcc
    Barclaycard advised that they will transfer funds to my bank account,excellent service.

Thanks to all responders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport