Smartphone in USA?

Hi.

I'll be visiting the USA soon for a short holiday, yet need to remain easily contactable. It would also be good to have a working map at least as I'll be travelling to a few different places.

According to the willmyphone work sites my 3g smartphone (P6_lite) wont work when I'm over there. :(

I didn't really think about that - as I haven't been out of Europe (where it's worked everywhere) since I joined the smartphone world back in 2012.

Has anyone got any suggestions to what I can do? Cheap options . .

Thanks.
Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Look at 3 options.

Or download google map routes when you have wifi access.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Look at 3 options.

Or download google map routes when you have wifi access.

3 won't be any use if the phone itself won't work on US frequency bands.

I can't comment on the specifics of your phone, but assuming that what you've read online is correct, your phone isn't going to be much use for contactability, although as PeacefulWaters says you could still use it for maps as long as you download them in advance.

One option would be to buy a cheap phone that does work on US frequencies and pair it with a Three SIM card with feel at home enabled, and carry both phones. Or use the trip as an excuse to upgrade...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    As above I use a three sim in the USA and buy a £10 bolt on which lasts 30days and gives more than enough calls,text and data for me.

Of course you will need to get a usable phone first, a cheap second hand one would do, making sure it is compatible or treat yourself to a new phone
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Hi. Thanks for the responses.

It looks like I'll have to try and get hold of a cheap (but usable) smartphone that will work in the USA - preferably before I go.

Any recommendations?
  • Infidel
    How about T-Mobile? I read they are good for US data/coverage and have 'many' shops over there.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    What about T mobile?

The 3 sim with feel at home will use the T mobile network in the USA
  • Infidel
    photome wrote: »
    What about T mobile?

The 3 sim with feel at home will use the T mobile network in the USA

That's what I mean. So T-Mobile would be a better option than 'three' especially since there are T-Mobile shops in the USA where I can probably pick up a sim in store?

I can't get the Three sim before going as they do not deliver to non UK (EU) addresses. Only Giffgaff seem to do that (but their roaming rates are SHOCKING and even their US bolt on is expensive at almost £5 a day).
    As I said, my only option would be Gatwick Airport where I have to change plane . . .but all the advice I've read says do not buy anything at the airport as it will be a rip off.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    OP, I am a little confused by your last post, so you are not in the UK or EU? Where do you live for a sim to be delivered? Or do you want the sim to be delivered to your US address?

The 'three' option is one of the best deals for sim only as it will allow you to use your allowance like you would at home. i.e. UK.

If you want to get a tmobile sim when in the US then the costs to call another country will still be high, calling the US with a US sim is cheaper but depending where you are calling can be still be classed as long distance.
  • Infidel
    stevie11 wrote: »
    OP, I am a little confused by your last post, so you are not in the UK or EU? Where do you live for a sim to be delivered? Or do you want the sim to be delivered to your US address?

The 'three' option is one of the best deals for sim only as it will allow you to use your allowance like you would at home. i.e. UK.

If you want to get a tmobile sim when in the US then the costs to call another country will still be high, calling the US with a US sim is cheaper but depending where you are calling can be still be classed as long distance.

Just to clarify . . I'm in the EU. But three only deliver sims to UK addresses. So that's why I can;t get that deal . . I can't get hold of a UK three sim (and I don't think they sell them in the US either).
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    So is there no equivalent or decent sim package in your home country?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure