PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Showing your property to viewers

Options
Any got any tips? First time selling. Our house went on the market last week. Had 2 viewers and got another booked in.

For those more experienced, what your top tips for showing your own property?

:beer:

Comments

• Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    From a buyers perspective: know your house well.

There's nothing more annoying as a viewer than asking basic questions about a house that the seller can't answer.

Good luck with the viewings. :)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Prior to the viewing, turn on all the lights, open the windows to let in fresh air (if it's warm), turn on the heating (if it's cold), open all the room doors.

I ignore the BS about making coffee and bread so the house smells good - too blinkin' expensive, and who has the time to make bread?

Personally, I make sure I am wearing regular clothes, not my schlepping tracksuit. It just gives more of an impression that you are taking your guests seriously.

For the actual viewing itself:

1) Take the viewers into the living room (hopefully it's the best room - mine is, as it has a beautiful view from the front window) for a brief sit, or stand, while you ask them whether they had any trouble finding the house, how far have they come, etc. I always give them a heads-up that I'll give them a quick tour, then let them walk around by themselves, then be available for questions. I always let them enter the room first and I stand in the doorway, so they feel like they are occupying the room and have space to loom around.

2) Take them around the ground floor in whatever is a logical order. For example, if there is a second sitting room/reception room, take them there so they have then seen all the "living areas", etc.

3) For the bedrooms, take them in order of smallest to biggest. That way, they end on a high, not with the smallest/most disappointing.

4) If there are outside areas, end up there (again, especially if they look good). Then leave them to walk around while you sit in the nicest room or area (may be outside), so that again, they end up in the best, not worst, area of the house.

5) Other general principles are (a) Don't point out the obvious ("This is the kitchen"), give information they may not be aware of ("The double Rangemaster stove has gas hobs and electric oven; there is lots of storage space, with fitted washing machine, dryer, fridge/freezer and dishwasher"); (b) Don't talk too much - let them focus their attention on what they are looking at, not the irritating owner rabbitting on; (c) try to get a feel for their situation - if they have children, for example, know information about local schools.

I always end by saying Thanks for coming to take a look, if you have further questions or want a second viewing, don't hesitate to get back in touch.

I steer clear of financial discussions unless they are raised by the buyer. Certainly don't put them under pressure by asking if they want to make an offer, and if they make an offer on the spot, take the information graciously and tell them you will certainly take it into consideration and get back to hem, and maybe ask them to put it in writing (email, whatever).

I also give all viewers a two-sided information sheet with information on one side about all the work that has been done on the house, when, and by whom. On the other side, I include local information (number of shops, distance, schools, bus services, etc.)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    turn on all the lights,

Although that can make it seem like you are trying to overcome a dark interior if all the lights are on during the day.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Any got any tips? First time selling. Our house went on the market last week. Had 2 viewers and got another booked in.

For those more experienced, what your top tips for showing your own property?

Clean it to within an inch of its life. Make sure you move all the stuff that has been sitting in the same place for ages. If you don't, some viewer will, and you don't want them to uncover a layer of dust under or behind anything

Make sure everything works. If the lights are off, a viewer will try the light switch to "see if it works". As per above, forestall this by switching them all on anyway.

Given enough viewers, one will eventually want to see your shower in operation, or will (without asking) flush your toilet, for exactly the same reason. If anything at all is broken, fix it.

Let viewers enter rooms first. For small rooms, don't go in and crowd them. Remain at the door or in the hallway. Introduce each room with something ABOUT the room ("We had the kitchen decorated last month, and ..."), not just "This is the kitchen".

Do not offer ANY negative comment about either your house, or the area. Say something positive, or say nothing.

Whilst you may have details of the viewers in advance, you should still observe basic security, and have your valuables out of sight and in a secure place, especially if you leave them to wander unaccompanied.
  • leon103
    leon103 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    Try and get as much info about the buyer from the EA before the viewing.
    We had two viewings on our house. The first we knew was interested in outside space was we main that main theme of the viewing. The second family were moving from another part of the country so I spent more time talking about the area than I did the house.
    :p
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    For second and subsequent viewings:

Let them roam free if they want to and make it clear that you have no problems with them turning on taps and opening windows etc. Ask if there was anything they weren't sure about that you can perhaps answer questions on.

Find out what doesn't work and be ready to fess up before the viewer finds out for themselves. If you promise to fix it before the transaction completes make a note so that you don't forget.

Although you aren't held to this until contracts are drawn up, it's also a good idea to have a notion of what you might leave in the house. For example, the house we bought included a very large kitchen island (freestanding) and also a garden summerhouse.

Have a broadly honest answer ready for questions like 'have there been other offers' and 'why are you looking to move.' You don't need to give away much detail but if there's two of you and you give conflicting info it doesn't look good.

We've never shown our own house for sale and each time we sold in London our agents preferred to. This advice comes from our perspective as buyers, where most of the houses we viewed last year were shown by the owners - we preferred that.
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We always move all the cars off the drive and park them up the road. This means viewers can see the house clearly and park easily.
    Make sure the grass is cut and jet wash the patio.
    I put the lights on in bathrooms/utility but just tend to put lamps on in bedrooms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure