Unknown transaction from Experian on CC

2»

Comments

• tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Its the company that used the card for verification purposes. Mine was an online application and did warn me the transaction would show on the card used to verify. I assume your wifes was in store and most likely the person serving her did not advise that a transaction would appear.

Yes, exactly. Nevertheless, Experian were not authorised to effect this transaction. And why confuse the matter further with two separate transactions? The card provider was NewDay, so at the very least there should have been a reference to them in the transaction description.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Complain to New Day then.....but your wife gave permission when she handed the card over
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    tenchy wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. Nevertheless, Experian were not authorised to effect this transaction. And why confuse the matter further with two separate transactions? The card provider was NewDay, so at the very least there should have been a reference to them in the transaction description.
    Thanks for reading the T&Cs that were signed and pointing out that there was no authorisation given. ;)
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Why would it worry you?
    Okay, I have thought it through and it sounds okay other than having not heard of it before.

Whenever, I have used a card for verification the company has always told me that they would put a small transaction through to check my details. I have also seen searches on my credit reports.

The CRAs all have my details and should not need to put a dummy transaction on my card. Nevertheless I can see how this may be a useful verification method.

The fact that the OP was not aware of opening any new credit line threw me a bit but that is all explained now. I also find it strange that his wife would use the Barclaycard as I assume it is in his name not hers.

My wife has always needed to use an account in her name rather than the credit card which only has her as a secondary card holder. Perhaps that is why the £0 transaction was required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure