Unknown transaction from Experian on CC

Just logged on to my Barclaycard and in the pending transactions section there are two transactions for £0 listed for Experian Ltd. I do not now, nor have I ever, had a relationship with that company, so how can they place a transaction on my card? Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 April 2018 at 1:02PM
    tenchy wrote: »
    Just logged on to my Barclaycard and in the pending transactions section there are two transactions for £0 listed for Experian Ltd. I do not now, nor have I ever, had a relationship with that company, so how can they place a transaction on my card? Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
    My first thought is identity fraud and I would be phoning Barclaycard asap.

The fact that is is £0 makes no difference. It may even drop off your pending list which also makes no difference as the possible fraud has already taken place.

I would also suggest taking a screenshot of the pending list just in case it disappears.

PS: Just to confirm my concern is because someone else is using your credit card.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you appliedfor anything recently where you gave your credit card details to verify your identity?
  • RG2015
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Have you appliedfor anything recently where you gave your credit card details to verify your identity?
    Interesting theory but surely this would result in a search not an entry on a credit card account.

Experian would be a third party and have no authority to submit a transaction for any amount on someone's credit card.
  • BoGoF
    Its not a theory.....I have encountered it myself.
  • RG2015
    Its not a theory.....I have encountered it myself. Cant recall with whom but they processed it this way.
    Now you really have got me worried.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Panic over, and yes. Well, the wife has. Turns out she submitted the Barclaycard when opening a new store card - one of those cards that gives you 10% off your first purchase (the card is not going to be used again). The BC was needed "for identification". Bloody rum do if you ask me, that a company that most people have never heard of then places a suspicious transaction on your account. Typical stunt pulled by the likes of Experian.
  • BoGoF
    Its not Experian pulling the stunt
  • BoGoF
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Now you really have got me worried.

Why would it worry you?
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Its not Experian pulling the stunt

You mean it's Barclaycard themselves?
  • BoGoF
    tenchy wrote: »
    You mean it's Barclaycard themselves?

Its the company that used the card for verification purposes. Mine was an online application and did warn me the transaction would show on the card used to verify. I assume your wifes was in store and most likely the person serving her did not advise that a transaction would appear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure