Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Jayley wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they at least offer me a competitive deal?

You answered your own question in the same post....
    Jayley wrote: »
    loyal and high spending consumer.

Why would they want to reduce their income from you, when you have been happily paying so much for the last 10 years?

As I said, in your position you will probably have to be prepared to have the TV switched off before you get a decent deal.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mije1983 wrote: »
    You answered your own question in the same post....

Why would they want to reduce their income from you, when you have been happily paying so much for the last 10 years?

As I said, in your position you will probably have to be prepared to have the TV switched off before you get a decent deal.

indeed.

plenty of people out there who continue paying full price, or a feeble 'loyalty' discount for many years - sky know who these people are and arent going to offer huge discounts to them knowing full well they'll not leave.

Just let the sub lapse, live without Sky for a few days/weeks, and you'll be surprised at how little you miss it. Mine is about to lapse this week and its no big deal. I dont think I've watched anything on Sky+ for months - most of my viewing tends to be on BBC or netflix.
  • Our contract lapsed last year, but I held off doing anything for 6 months as we were potentially moving house. Now that we know we are staying put, it was a case of getting on to reducing the Sky bill. Was previously on a 50% off deal for 12 months, but currently getting stung for £83.50 per month for TV via Sky+

The aim was to upgrade to Sky Q, with 2TB box and an additional mini-box, whilst keeping the full package across entertainment, kids, movies and sport.

Went through regular customer service in Livingstone and managed to get the following for the full 18 months:

Full TV pack, 2TB box, mini box (inc multiroom subscription) for £64 per month + £30 one off fee.

I have also moved over from BT Infinity 2 at the same time and replaced Sky Fibre Max Unlimited on a like for like basis at £30 per month for 18 months, (and no other fees for set-up etc) which saves another £20+ on the BT bill. BT had already told me to take my business elsewhere when I tried to haggle, so I was happy to oblige.

I played the cancellation game last time round, but this time I was happy to go with an offer if it was reasonable enough. I could have potentially saved a little bit more if I had played that game again, but happy enough with this outcome. After reading recent posts in this thread, I wasn't expecting huge savings to be offered at the moment, so my expectations weren't at the 50% discount level anyway.

Looking forward to getting Sky Q in a few weeks!
  • Just renewed, having given notice to cancel a couple of days ago.

The offer I have is;

Entertainment: £25 reduced to £15
    HD: £5 reduced to £1
    Sky Sports: £28 reduced to £14.50
    Sky Sports HD: £6 reduced to £2
    Sky Go Extra: £5 reduced to £0 (VIP)
    12 Months Contract.

Total: £69 reduced to £32.50.

Hope this helps with haggling.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    shaggy wrote: »

I dont think I've watched anything on Sky+ for months - most of my viewing tends to be on BBC or netflix.

I've also discovered that on BBC iPlayer there are programmes from different regions that would not be on live tv. Currently there is a good series, with twists and turns, called Keeping Faith, from BBC Wales.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    Just renewed, having given notice to cancel a couple of days ago.

The offer I have is;

12 Months Contract.

Entertainment is only £25 for anyone on a rolling contract. Anyone agreeing to a minimum term pays no more than £20.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Just renewed, having given notice to cancel a couple of days ago.

The offer I have is;

12 Months Contract.

What is the minimum package you can have? I want Sky Sports only so could I just have a contract for £14.50 with a little haggling?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Terry98 wrote: »
    What is the minimum package you can have? I want Sky Sports only so could I just have a contract for £14.50 with a little haggling?

I don't think you will be able to get Sky sports only. You will need one of the TV packs as well. I have got the entertainment pack with sky sports. I am on a 50% off deal for TV and I pay approx £25 per month. I think that this is the cheapest price that you will get for sky sports; although there are some people that have got 75% off deals.
  • blackfritz
    blackfritz Posts: 28 Forumite
    Unfortunately that level of discount seems to no longer be available. Best I have seen equates to around 50% but they are a rarity, normally you are lucky to get much more than about 40% off. They are now offering different levels of pricing for the various elements within the packages as opposed to a flat level of discount off the total price. Good luck, I th8nk you will need it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Terry98 wrote: »
    I want Sky Sports only
    None of the premium channels are available standalone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback