Oled tv screen burn

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There is little doubt that there is a problem with Oled and that we are the tip of the iceberg.

You've just told us your TV was part of a dodgy batch. So it's not the tip of an iceberg!
  • I am in a similar position to yourself. I bought my LG OLED 4K 3D TV from John Lewis in November 2016.
    It was/is a fantastic piece of kit. In December 2018, whilst watching football I noticed a broad line across the bottom of the screen.
    Some investigation and by playing different colour screens (available on YouTube) I can clearly make out the residual of the Sky News Banner and I can even read where Breaking News was displayed.
    Like many on here I presume, my OLED TV came with a 5-year warranty.
    John Lewis dispatched and engineer to my home and they reported 'Screen Burn' - which, by the way is actually the decay of the Organic LED's ability to emit light as brightly as they did before.
    The engineer stated, that he see's one of these a day.

I estimate that Sky News was probably viewed on this TV most weekdays for around 2 hours per day. The rest of the time the TV served as the primary TV in the house, watching 4K movies and conventional stuff. I estimate that the TV has probably been used for around 5000 hours in the two years that I have owned it.

Like you, I suspect, the 5-year guarantee from John Lewis does not cover me against 'Screen Burn'
    John Lewis did initially offer me £200 which then was elevated to a final offer of £500 for my troubles.

A new replacement screen from LG is £1199 - fitted

I am now proceeding with a Small Court Claim - under the Sales of Goods Act - as the TV is not fit for purpose.

The one thing I would say to other LG OLED TV owners/fans on here (I am one of them) be very careful with your screens' they are way to sensitive to 'Screen Burn' and I would highly recommend to avoid any channels with a Banner or a bright Logo. I know how my TV has been used and I am amazed that it has become damaged in this manner.

I have since bought a Samsung QLED, whilst my dispute with John Lewis is ongoing - It is a great picture also, the difference being that Samsung give a 10-Year Guarantee against Screen Burn.

Best of Luck

N
  • Hi. We visited PC World recently and, without revealing our previous issues, asked an an advisor regarding oled problems. He stated no problems with new models (apparently the tv "cleanses" the pixels when put to standby) but conceded many complaints regarding older models. No doubt the retailers are trying to rebut as many of these complaints as possible.
    We found that an email to the CEO of Dixonscarphonewarehouse (the owners of PC World) worked wonders. Perhaps a similar email to John Lewis will help? Feel free to use as evidence the fact that myself and another contributor were successful (eventually) in having the screen replaced.
    Good luck with the Small Court Claim. Keep us advised.
    T.B.R.
  • I tried the 'email to the CEO of John Lewis' did not really get me anywhere sadly but thanks for the reply.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    As earlier advised I have now made my TV purchase.
    I bought a Samsung QE55Q9. It cost nett €1579 after €400 rebate from Samsung (money just in my account yesterday) I do know it is probably cheaper somewhere already but that’s technology life.
    It has this incredibly thin silver cable from the TV which carries input and power. This links to a “one box” that has all the “stuff” that is normally on the back of the TV. With my set up it means a lot less spaghetti of cables.
    I am VERY please with my purchase and after four weeks I am happy that while many things can go wrong at least I don’t have to worry about screen burn.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Hi I bought the Samsung Q9 QLED too. Good Choice. :beer:

An outstanding picture, almost as good as my previous OLED, to be honest I am being really picky on that as the picture is so good.

The lack of screen burn is the main factor for me, especially having experienced it on my previous, hitherto excellent picture quality LG OLED.

Remember to register separately for your Samsung 10-year Bur Guarantee.

Enjoy.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I'm still struggling to find my receipt so I can prove I bought my TV from John Lewis.

I bought a soundbar at the same time, and interestingly they can see the soundbar purchase on their records, but not the TV, which seems a bit strange as they were purchased in the same transaction.
  • One of the good things about buying online - your account has all your previous purchases and receipts
  • gfplux wrote: »
    Another issue that I now know about....sub titles.

We use subtitles almost all the time due to differing hearing levels.

These surely will cause burn in as they are on almost for all of our TV watching.

Looks like goodbye OLED and hello Samsung QLED.

QLED really isn't where you want to be, it's just cheap and nasty LCD technology with a new name. OLED is now a mature technology. I have a 2016 LG OLED and it's as stunning as the day it was bought. No burn in, the screensaver kicks in after a minute or so. Similar scare stories surrounds all TV technology. You can get screen burn on LCD, Plasma and OLED if you are careless.
  • I am glad your 2016 OLED is as stunning as the day you bought it :)

Mine was/is a 2016 too - and mine has burn-in - it was not abused/badly used it is shocking how easily they become damaged.

You are right about the technology though, OLED is a superior system in terms of how the picture is generated/presented - to be able to individually turn on/off each pixel is brilliant. However, the technology is way to fragile for my use case, which is general viewing.

I wonder how many, who like me were so impressed with OLED, will come disenfranchised when they experience screen burn.

I was a huge OLED fan but it is way too fragile in my user experience.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback