ZC's Aim for a little independence

Comments

• zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all.

Applied and was accepted for an AA credit card this morning with 0% on purchases for 24 months plus £35 cash back. I'm going to use it to buy vouchers for my next spa trip basically saving myself £65 on the trip. Hope it arrives before the voucher offer runs out!
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    Morning all.

Have bought DS a bike for Xmas in the Halfords sale. Had £20 worth of vouchers from Shop n scan so it'll be £80 plus a £15 voucher to spend on bike accessories. We've gone for a neutral one so that my DD can inherit it! I think he'll be riding it pretty soon. It's DS's first year where he'll really "get" Father Christmas. I think we're going to do big present from Mum and Dad (like Bike) then Santa will do small but fun stuff like Lego, sweets etc.

Not sure what to get DD. Might get her a seat from ebay to go on the back of my bike.

Went for a curry last night with really good friends. Its like food for the soul seeing good friends. Good value at only £50 per couple considering there was a mountain of delicious food and rather a lot of pints consumed.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching the last few days. I took on a role in our church about 2 years ago which is just proving too much. I'm starting to dislike church now because of it and that's not what church should be about. I thought it would be easy to do once the kids were in bed but in fact it's taking up to half a day a week plus a lot of Sundays. It's DS's last year before school next year so I'm thinking of giving it up. I don't want to as I feel strongly I should do something for the community but this role is just too much. Any other Christians out there with thoughts on this?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Not a Christian but a Buddhist!!
    If it is too much give it up
    Chat to who you need to and say you are giving it up by X time.
    Cherish the time with your littlies.
    They grow up so quickly.
    My DS is an adult now.
    How did that happen!!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Stuff at church should be a pleasure and a joy to do, not a chore that you start to dread. Personal experience here! I have recently dropped all my commitments there (admittedly they weren't many!) as events in my personal life are overwhelming at the moment and although my dd is older than your kiddies (she's 8), it is all affecting her and I want/need to be there for her. I had said that I would re-think at Christmas, but know already that I will not be returning for several more months yet.

Making the decision to stand down gave me great peace. I often use that as a marker for if it is the right thing to do.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    Thanks Beanielou and Applemuncher. The sermon on Sunday was all about giving lives generous in Service and it really made me think. I also want to lead by example with my kids and I want them to see me and our family being an active part of our community. I've written a resignation but I'm going to mull it over and make a decision by Christmas. It doesn't help that we had chicken pox this week so everything has felt a little stressful!

Budget is ticking along nicely for November. Hoping to spend less than I've budgeted for at Christmas. I'm doing quite well with the 3 for 2 like offers at the moment.

Not much extra coming in at the moment as I do seem to have ebayed the house out!

Have a nice day everyone
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.

Haven't been great at posting for a while but the good habits I got into last year have stuck with me. I now pay £50 pm extra to the mortgage and a further £50 to a S&S ISA. Over the 3 months where I've not been focusing on op that means I've still stuck to my budget and paid £300 towards my financial independence. Quite chuffed with that.

Have been doing a bit of ebaying of the kids old clothes. It really adds up after a while.
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.
    Another update from me, can't believe I haven't been on since January!
    I'm still doing a £50pm overpayment on my mortgage by Direct Debit and £50 into a S&S ISA so since I started in July 2016 I have saved over £1200. I'm quite chuffed with this balance as I am still affording things I want.

I'm currently saving up to have braces. The children seemed to take ally my calcium and my teeth have moved so much. It'll take a year or so to have them done and the big 40 is looming in a few years which kind of focussed the mind. I'm hoping to be able to save even with my o/p. It's all got to come out of my fun money.

Talking of fun money DH has bought a caravan!! It arrives next Friday! We are so excited. This was our last year of cheap holidays outside of term time and we plan to holiday in this country for a good few years so we thought we should invest now.
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    Hello everyone.

Nearly a year later so time for a bit of an update! Not such a great year for me. We moved house into our forever home at Christmas and that seems to have sucked a lot of money out of my budget. My drawings haven!!!8217;t gone up either and food just seems to be rising all the time. My clothes spends seem to have gone up a bit too.

I stopped my overpayment for moving house but I think it might be time to start it again as when I do it I don!!!8217;t notice it iykwim.

In other news I!!!8217;ve had my braces now for 8 months and I!!!8217;m really pleased with the results so far.
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi zcrat41,

Life just has a habit of getting in the way of all our plans doesn't it?

I have just got back on the saving/not spending wagon which I got off in February. All my good habits apart from the odd overpayment gone out of the window. Its good to get to it again but we all need a bit of time off for good behaviour :D
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • zcrat41
    Forumite
    I clearly seem to get time in July as this is the time of year I always come back to this diary!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback