2014 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• What things do you feel your over spending on?

I wish I was doing some serious over-spending but it's probably just lack of money. Sometimes I treat myself to chocolate, a £3.49 film on Bl!nkbox or a big juicy mango if I need cheering up. I know I shouldn't...but sometimes you just have to. :)
    :dance: Super-fun-frugal :dance:
  • Count me in! This was going to be my plan for 2014 and it will brilliant to know others are on the same journey for support. :
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all - I would love to join. I cleared my debt this year but I've lost focus now and have started to fritter - this should keep me on the straight and narrow:D
  • Count me in for this. Just 2k left to pay off and maybe save for a holiday for the first time in 6 years.
  • Please can I join in too? I have a debt of just over 3k that I have been trying to pay off for the last two years that I need to get cleared and since I can't increase my income, I need to decrease my outgoings to make a big dent in this :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• I'd like to join! Neither dh or I have a job atm (he starts a new job at the end of Jan) so we won't have anything other than benefits til he gets a full pay packet in march :o we've got about £2,100 on his cc (mine is used for shopping but paid in full each month). Our main aim is to get frugally through the next few months without going further into debt. Our biggest issues are takeaways and junk food from the supermarkets!
    Married 40y.o. mum of an autistic 11y.o. Carer/SAHM.
    OS '24 Fashion On The Ration: 0(34 preloved)/67 coupons used - OS '24 Declutter Challenge: 633/500 items gone 🏅 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 - Now aiming for 750!
    Feb GC: (1st-29th inc) £161.45/£495
     ((OS 2023 Decluttering: 740 items 🏅 🏅 🏅  🌟 . OS 2023 Fashion on the ration: 14/15 used))

• Hi,
    I would love to join. We have experienced a couple of setbacks this year leaving us with a mountain of debt:eek: We really need to get on top of this before the situation gets out of hand
    . Determined to have a brilliant 2014:j Count me in!
    :xmassign: tpf
  • Its great to read everyones plans and reasons for change. I can be squeaky frugal and then be wasteful ... its not a good trait. This is a big birthday year for me and I want to continue with changes already started plus most importantly stop wasting money.

I signed up for a supermarket delivery for a period of time and I now know that this is not a good idea so when this runs out I will not be renewing. You have to spend over £40 and I know there are times when I could get reduced items or other bargains at other stores.

So now am back to meal planning and using a list. Saw an offer for toilet rolls in a local small supermarket yesterday and was so tempted to buy them but I have toilet roll and I do not need them :)

The best thing to do is to stay out of shops full stop.
    Only buy what you need when you need it and if you spot a bargain along the way have the money there for it.

I see big changes this incoming year in what I am earning through bits and pieces so will have to find other ways to save money and earn it too.

Great thread thank you frugaldom.
  • Also meant to say that I live near some meat production plants so I am going to visit them once a month to stock up on chicken and meat.

Will have to work out the monthly requirement plus a bit left over in case others call to eat with us. So need to run my freezer down.

Also intend to bake my own bread :) I make homemade pizza from scratch so hopfefully I won't find it too daunting.

I do need to bulk cook more to avoid those times when temptation to buy something already made raises its head.

All the best to everyone.
  • I'm always up for a new challenge so count me in I am a fairly good manager of cash and have cut my food budget back quite a bit, (£60.00per month ,just for me alone) but I want to build up a few more savings as its been a heavy year for expenditure(lots of decorating needed doing ) So I will be doing my utmost to build up a decent savings pot again.Plus I have a holiday cottage rental to pay for by June.No debts though which is a good start I suppose
    JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport