PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Everytime you want to go shopping tell yourself "No, I need to make things with what I've got!" Then do it!
    Maybe online would be better, that way you can stick to a list and not give in to impulse buys.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    DS2 has a friend for tea tonight - only arranged yesterday. The planned lamb curry has been put off for another night and instead I did cottage pie with DR steak mince, carrot, swede, onion, celery, red lentils, beef stock, worcestershire sauce, and seasoning. It was lush even tho' I say so myself. Trouble was DS2's friend (who ate with his fingers ???:eek:???) only ate a few mouthfuls - so :mad:

He has just asked for a biscuit because he is hungry - I have said No - tough my little friend, you should have eaten your dinner :rotfl:

:TAnother one for our team! I always make them try anything they haven't had before (Try anything once, twice if you like it!) - DS fussiest friend now eats what I give him with no fuss. I am however, sworn to secrecy and forbidden from telling his mother :eek:- Is this because this sensitive young man is conscious of his mother's feelings? :rotfl:No - it is so he can carry on living on treats ans sweets in his main residence. :eek:Also, no pudding if you don't eat your dinner. :eek:Obviously you are too full up!!

Love it
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2012 at 9:14AM
    Don't forget your weekend offers at Lidl.
    Packs of frying steak for £1.29. 5 kilo of onions for £1.29. Hula hoop multipacks dirt cheap, etc.
    I think aubergines were something like 39p. Try slicing them into discs with skin on, then coating them in batter and frying as fritters. Yum yum!!

LOADS of bargains this morning. :)

Been a bit too busy to post recently. A few families came back yesterday after the home eds kids club for tea then we took em indoor rock climbing too. We had home made pizzas with defrosted pizza dough rolled and topped. We also had choc n nana micro puds with choc custard for afters.
    Gonna make up a big batch of meat n 'tato pie filling today as friends coming for tea tomorrow. OH told em, we will get a curry in:eek: As if!!!!
    No way, Jose! Meat n potato pie with roasters n veg. Homemade rhubarb crumble for pud.
    Will cost a fraction of a takeaway and more nutritious too!!!!;)
    Today's meals will be leftover pizza for dinner and leftover roast chicken breast slices for tea with mash, veg and gravy. Veg is YS of course from the freezer. :money:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    I am doing the live without a supermarket challenge this month and it really has reigned in my spending
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Up early this morning so having a quiet catch up on here with a cup of tea. Freezer is steadily going down and I'm trying to run down the cupboards too. I have so many pulses i think I'll have to research some recipes for pinto beans, blackeyed beans and chick pea flour. Anyway have a good weekend
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • chelseabun_3
    chelseabun_3 Posts: 699 Forumite
    I've joined in the Grocery Challenge for the first time this month - it's made a huge difference to my spending, and really helped the way I think about meals and planning. We've been eating far more healthily because I've been using stuff up from the fridge and freezer, and cooking from scratch, rather than going out and buying ready made stuff. Folks are really supportive and helpful, and share loads of useful stuff (like micro puds which are devilishly easy and quick! :D)

Have a look and see what you think!
    CBx :)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 May 2012 at 6:15PM
    Many thanks for the suggestions regarding my no pound sign, havent found it yet but will keep trying.

Spent 13 pound yesterday but got everything I need and some things for stock, i.e. another 4 tins of 8p mushy peas.

asda have iceberg lettuce, cucumber and celery for 50p, nice big ones as well, so salads are heavy on my meal plan for this week. Also I had run out of my homemade starter for yogurt but I found the normal small pot of Yeo valley has gone up to 64p. I found a big 1kg pot of Lancashire Farm, not seen this before at 1 pound, it is really lovely.
    Will update signature later when I have worked out how much of the 13 pound was for me got some things for DD.

Off to make my lovely GS bacon butties.
    Slimming World at target
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Just back from a quick whizz round the shops and I manage dto spend £7.99 in Aldi and £5.50 in B&M - that should be it for the week so a good total for once.:j
    Got a bargain in B&M - cooked meats (breaded ham and chicken) were reduced to 20p each (dates were for 2 days from now) so I got 7. The dog loves them (I'm a veggie) and they freeze ok so a good chance for a cheap stock up.

There's quite a bit in the fridge and freezer and I have a vague meal plan so all is well;).

Today's tea will be a nice quiche, jacket spud/sweet potato wedges and salad to use up some wilting bits.
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Morning all, nice and sunny here so two loads of washing is on the line. Nsd for me until tomorrow & then i only need salad, milk & fruit. I'm having fish for my lunch shortly then a for tea i will have fajitas with the rest of the leftover salad. I will take some beef slices out of the freezer tonight, i will warm them through with some gravy tomorrow for lunch with all the trimmings.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • Hello everyone,
    I think it must have been at least a couple of years since I did a grocery challenge and have spent the last couple of days having a read through the last few pages.
    Im going to start the challenge for June as have done my big shop etc for this month so is going to be hard to track.
    Over the past couple of years I've become quite lapse at controlling grocery shopping, a lot of "treats" etc. I'm not expecting our first child in September and have been signed of work due to SPD. So that and full time shift work on a heavy ward was contributing to us eating a lot of convinience food and takeaways. So now I'm off I hope to be able to prepare a lot more from scratch as obviously I'm at home a lot and can prepare stuff over the day. Now I have a nice chair in the kitchen to park my bum on too so I'm set up. And of course with a baby in the way and going onto maternity leave the pennies need to be stretched. Anyway that's a little about me.
    it's just myself, OH and a cat at the moment so will think about a realistic target. I have a small monthly budget to stockpile for when I'm maternity leave. Already have a stash of pasta and tinned stuff.
    Am really looking forward to doing this challenge again and have really enjoyed reading all your tips and recipes.
    LMMS
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts