How much for a conservatory?

Just getting a couple of quotes for a conservatory. 12 ft square (external size), Edwardian style roof, with a dwarf wall, in mahogany woodgrain. Quote is for everything - preparation, base, wall, internal finishing (electrics plastering and flooring). I am expecting my first quote in writing in a couple of days (why he couldn't give me it there and then I don't know). Any guesses how much?

BTW I am in Merseyside if there are any interested conservatory builders in the area.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    had one built two years ago

4m x 3.5m

dwarf wall victorian style

quotes ranged from 15k to 5k

the one at 5k had a eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder so i thought i would give him a miss

ended up with 7.5k

ask to look at other work they have done in the area and get planning permission !!

they made a superb job but get a big warm radiator put in and then you can use it in the winter

temperatures inside range from 2c to 52c throught the year to give you an idea

regards
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd think you can get a second hand one for £1000 and a new one for £3000 to £4000.

Then you can ask any competent builder to assemble it. These days a lot of new conservatories are easy fit.

As a basic, I would expect them to charge £600 for 2 men and 2 days of work to assemble plus £500 to £800 for electrical, plumbing work and finishing work.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • sca
    sca Posts: 164 Forumite
    theGrinch,

Never heard of second hand ones. Where do you get them from. Sound quite good. Tell me more.

Regards
    sca
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    yes indeed. they can be assembled and when you reverse the process they are disassembled. ;D

And as more and more homes have them the second hand market is quite active.

Usually, people remove their conservatory when they want to add an extension instead.

try ebay, your local paper, exchange n mart, qxl etc.

I have dismantled mine its 4.95m x 3.12m victorian style and in good condition.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Got my first quote. £10800!! I think this is about £3000 OTT. I got a quote from Wickes for less than £3000 for the conservatory and I got a quote from an installer for £4500 but the Wickes conservatory was not 12x12 it was a little more than 10x14 - they only do standard module sizes.

I think I will get quotes for an extension as well - we have plenty of room for it.
  • chalky_bertie
    chalky_bertie Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try WESTYORKSWINDOWS

and select item from map on right and then gives you price etc and what you get.  You may not live near here but could be quite useful.  Seen on the "Thinking mans crumpet" programme - Better Homes.
    **BERTIE**

Did you Know: It costs more than £325,000 a day to run the lifeboat service? (with no government funding) Please donate to the RNLI
  • Check out this company: Easyfix Conservatories

I recently bought a victorian special for just over £2000. The guy on the phone told me to look in Wickes at the style because they were the suppliers to Wickes and B&Q

The quality is good and you will save a packet if you put it up yourself. They come with a full instruction pack.

[glow=green,2,300]Fester[/glow]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport