Can you get fit without a gym

1234568»

Comments

• yams
    yams Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    halogen wrote: »
    Don't think so. I managed to self refer to a dietitian, as my GP had never even mentioned my weight, but that didn't help. Did try private hypnotherapy as well but that didn't help either.

I'm also fairly sure that I couldn't get surgery on the NHS either- my GP was horiffied when I mentioned it.

I'm sure you've heard this before but if you struggle with portion control have you tried meal prepping? I don't always do it but I definitely eat better when I spend a few hours once or twice a week making my meals ahead (well normally just breakfast and dinner for me). Then you won't have to worry about the time taken to cook on the day too. You don't even have to start with small portions if you're worried about going hungry. Just get in the habit first then reduce it - and maybe just have things like carrot sticks etc to snack on where it doesn't really matter if you eat a bunch of them.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    yams wrote: »
    I'm sure you've heard this before but if you struggle with portion control have you tried meal prepping? I don't always do it but I definitely eat better when I spend a few hours once or twice a week making my meals ahead (well normally just breakfast and dinner for me). Then you won't have to worry about the time taken to cook on the day too. You don't even have to start with small portions if you're worried about going hungry. Just get in the habit first then reduce it - and maybe just have things like carrot sticks etc to snack on where it doesn't really matter if you eat a bunch of them.

Yes I have tried it. I've ended up eating the weeks worth of food by Monday. For me it's not about being hungry. It's once I start eating it's very difficult to stop, even if I've eaten so much I feel ill
  • yams
    yams Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. If your GP hasn't suggested it you might want to try CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) if you haven't already. It's not pyschoanalysis but just a way to try and help people stop repeated behaviours. I know some NHS trusts even have a service where you can do the training/activities online or with an app or something like that and someone will check in with you each week.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    yams wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that. If your GP hasn't suggested it you might want to try CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy)

I have had CBT in the past for depression but that was more than 20 years ago and I have always assumed that CBT must have been in its infancy then as it never seemed to be coming from the same planet as I was.

I'll investigate online CBT with relation to eating behavoiurs though see if its an option in my area. The dieteitan never mentioned it. Thanks
  • BenjaG
    BenjaG Posts: 102 Forumite
    Of course you don't need a gym to get fit. Built exercise into your daily routines: walk up the stairs instead of taking the lift, practise some press ups in front of the telly, … ideally you should also practise some endurance sport (activities lasting over 45min), like cycle touring or walking. Avoid busses and cars. Walk instead or travel by bike. Use hand tools (like a push-mower) instead of electric tools... But you may also want to check your diet http://iitm.be/bssss-diet
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    So walking is useless now is it? I have no interest in gyms or any of that, but do my 10k steps every day of the week apart from Sunday.

Every little helps, if I did nothing I would be worse off surely.

Please do not belittle those who walk, they may not be able to do gym work.

My OH ran six marathons over the years. He is now facing double hip replacement and a knee job. Not worth it. He is in agony now.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    halogen wrote: »
    Don't think so. I managed to self refer to a dietitian, as my GP had never even mentioned my weight, but that didn't help. Did try private hypnotherapy as well but that didn't help either.

I'm also fairly sure that I couldn't get surgery on the NHS either- my GP was horiffied when I mentioned it.

From what you say you have to lose some weight, then do exercise after weight loss. Can you push your GP again to get help with your weight? Apparently some people have issues with not feeling satiated. You can also become addicted to certain foodstuffs high in sugar, fat and carbohydrates. And of course you might have a health issue, due to a sick gland, but I guess your GP would have picked that up.

Oddly enough today after playing ice hockey, some of us went for breakfast, and I ordered a fry up. I really did not like it, and I left lots. I am currently finding fatty foods unappealing, and I have at the same time started taking hydration (salt) tablets for cramp and tiredness. It makes me wonder if there is a connection. I guess the point I am making in my rambling way is that there is a lot to eating, and appetite. Perhaps you have an issue with your gut flora?
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm off for a run to a park with a few exercise machines, so that's all free. Like the above poster I tend not to be so hungry after exercise and although some of the girls talk about going for a takeaway after football training all this veteran needs is a cuppa! I'm not going for very long today, but for team sessions and games I also take rehydrating salts, including potassium and magnesium salts (Aldi has them periodically).
  • Askalaba
    Askalaba Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    you can definitely get fit without a gym although personally I find it much harder to motivate myself. Partly because you limit the amount of exercises you can do and secondly because there's a very motivational mood in the gym.

If you're looking to get strong and lift heavy then it'll be extremely hard without a gym.
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way :j
  • kattie89
    kattie89 Posts: 15 Forumite
    From what you say you have to lose some weight, then do exercise after weight loss. Can you push your GP again to get help with your weight? Apparently some people have issues with not feeling satiated. You can also become addicted to certain foodstuffs high in sugar, fat and carbohydrates. And of course you might have a health issue, due to a sick gland, but I guess your GP would have picked that up.

OK, but some of them want to lose weight... just by stopping to eat anything.
    And it's totally not ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport