Giving up smoking

It's 4.42am, I've been up since 3am. I decided yesterday that I wasn't smoking anymore. Had my last one about 3pm. I do have an e cig thing but struggling a bit with that if I'm honest.
I smoke far to much, for far to many years and I keep getting chest infections. I need to stick around for my daughter.
I am hoping others on here can offer advice. What worked for you? I feel intensely irritated and have right twitchy muscles. How long does all this last?
I've smoked for over 30 years, apart from when I was pregnant. Which, funnily enough was easy to give up when pregnant. Blue lines visible, never touched a fag??
I will not be getting pregnant btw!!
I'm aware this is a bit rambly but I'm trying to keep myself occupied so I don't cave and go buy fags. I really want to stop smoking.
Any advice, support, secret knowledge, anything will be very welcome.
Thank you. Fi

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    You could go to your chemist and ask if they have a quitting smoking class. Also you may be able to get a course of nicotine replacement for te price of one prescription.
    When I gave up it was with a combination of willpower and patches (tried the gum and thought it was vile).
    Some people swear by reading stop smoking books acupuncture or hypnosis
    I also found that putting my cig money aside each week helped, I was horrified to see how much money went up in smoke (literally). I knew someone years ago who paid for a trip to America for themselves and their family with cig money.
    HTH
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    stopped in July last year by moving to vapeing. wasn't a heavy smoker - 10-15 a day (for 30+ years) but amazed myself by how 'easy' it was. I am still vapeing on the lowest nicotine level but cutting back on that too. The thing that stops me smoking again is the smell....they do say ex-smokers are the worst!...good luck
  • Don't know where you are in the country but look up local Smoking quit service. I have smoked forever but finally stopped with their support.
    I used nicotine replacement. In the past I had failed with this. It was explained to me that you need both patches and in my case inhalators not just one product. It worked....see my badge!
    It's also sometimes cheaper than buying them direct (free if you don't pay for prescriptions) but if you have to pay for them, check on the internet.....often much cheaper than shops.
    Good luck.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • GFN123
    GFN123 Posts: 208 Forumite
    Probably the best thing you can do is read 'the Easy way to stop smoking ' which is frankly incredible. The book is cheap to buy and I found it made stopping easy and enjoyable (I know, sounds suspicious but true!)

Hypnosis helped me too, free stuff on YT (there's lot but this one really worked for me https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcosBFS7lA8 )

Lastly well done! Stopping is great and worth all your efforts :) I smoked for over 23 years and not a day goes by im not delighted that I don't anymore!
    Proud to be a moneysaver :)
  • piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I never smoked, but I am always on a "diet", I think that if you can just get past that five minutes where you really crave something, paint you nails, brush your teeth and then use a strong mouthwash, hop in the shower, anything to pass a few minutes,
    Good luck ��
  • Just a quick update. A week today and I still HAVENT smoked!!!
    I've cleaned, cooked, cleaned some more. Oh and bought some new chalk paint!!!
    I've had grand chats with myself and not so grand chats but I am starting to feel a little bit proud of myself now.
    Thank you for all your replies xxx
  • jennyo
    jennyo Posts: 422 Forumite
    Just a quick update. A week today and I still HAVENT smoked!!!
    I've cleaned, cooked, cleaned some more. Oh and bought some new chalk paint!!!
    I've had grand chats with myself and not so grand chats but I am starting to feel a little bit proud of myself now.
    Thank you for all your replies xxx

You should be proud of yourself, that's fabulous. It's hard work, but worth it.
    Debt Free Dec 2009
    non-smoker 19th Nov 2010
    Trying to lose weight 40lb/42lb

• February 1977 - Bought 200 cigarettes every day Mon to Fri - Put 5 packets on front of my desk with boxes of matches and ash-trays.

I was with the Senior Shop-Steward (I'll call him Paddy) and out of the blue he bet me £5 that I couldn't stop smoking. I put a £5 note on my desk and told him to do the same and then put the £10 into my office safe.

Roll on to approx. 9pm on the 28th June 1995 when I got a phone call asking me to go to St. James's Hospital (Dublin) where I saw Paddy. A very unwell person with tubes everywhere.

He said in a very weak voice to me " It's a pity I didn't keep to that £5 bet as you did".

I stayed with him until around 1:30am and 2 hours later arrived home only to be met with my wife who told me that Paddy's wife had phoned to say that Paddy died at 2.30am.

The next time you put a cigarette into your mouth and just think of Paddy and what happened to him.
  • im also trying to give up smoking as well, and its harder then I thought it would be, got the mints and patches, and a little voice in my head saying have a fag.... grr grr
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Keep at it, the longer you stay off them the better as you'll not want to have to go through all that again by giving in and having one. Lets face it, you know its not actually all that nice, just a habit. It does get easier, just hang in there. I stopped using Alan Carrs book and the image of a lady I used to care for who was on an oxygen machine 24/7. I dont want to live with the sound of the pump keeping me alive.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family