greent's mfw journey

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Doing well. Don't forget to *relax*.

From me too!

You're doing amazingly, actually. As for the decluttering, I'm wondering about ziffit, only just heard of it but someone on here has been using it too. Like music magpie for everything :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    How is Ds3 getting on at school?

Sadly he's ended up wetting himself at school several times - which he hasn't done for over a year :(:( It seems to coincide with days when he gets told off by his teacher - according to what we get out of him, anyway :( He gets told off for being too slow in the English lessons, apparently :( And has had another (quite horrible child) saying he's lazy as a result. I've had a word with the (lovely lovely lovely) TA in his class and we are looking to bring it up with the Head this month if it continues.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Smallest green child was wide awake at just gone 6, so I gave in and got up at about 6.45, I think. Last night's washing is out on line, and another load has just finished. However, it's still quite foggy here, so I'm going to delay hanging that one out for a couple of hours. I'm on cup of tea number 4 (!!) and will start waking other greent family members shortly. I haven't been at all productive, as I've spent any time not with smallest one reading diaries on here- ooops!

I have one new thing to list on ebay, which I'll try to do later, as have some free listings. Our printer needs a new imaging unit, by looks - they are about £120 (have replaced it before) so we are looking for a new one - we were looking to upgrade next year anyway, so this has just made us do it a bit earlier, as (for us) it's not worth spending out the money on it now, so will look to sell it for spares. New one will be a business expense, though! :D:D

Had to go into town yesterday to bank some cash and cheques, so posted some parcels whilst there and also had a bimble in Debenhams for OH. Found a lovely waistcoat, sadly not available online, so may need to go back :( Did buy myself a lovely jumper in M&S Outlet, though - a deep raspberry colour and perfect for work. NEED (as in only have one pair and they have holes in!) to get some jeans for me! - will try and sort at least one pair this week.

Chicken taken out of freezer for roasting later - weather has really changed in last 2 days and it's very Autumnal. May do a rice pudding for after, too :D Still haven't got heating on - am hoping to last until half term, if possible. New doors and windows seem to be helping, and children are getting the idea of putting on socks and a long sleeved top if feeling chilly (I am not at all sympathetic to anyone saying they are cold if they are wearing a tshirt and have bare feet.........)

Off to cut out a picture which DS3 has just presented me with - he's spent the last 30 minutes drawing it and colouring it in :)

Have a lovely Sunday :)

xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • Thank you for reminding me ....
    Sat in bed still reading diaries and at your talk of chicken for tea tonight I realised I had not put lamb in slow cooker
    Phew disaster averted
    Thank you :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    We all need down time, greent! Have a lovely day :)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    greent wrote: »
    Sadly he's ended up wetting himself at school several times - which he hasn't done for over a year :(:( It seems to coincide with days when he gets told off by his teacher - according to what we get out of him, anyway :( He gets told off for being too slow in the English lessons, apparently :( And has had another (quite horrible child) saying he's lazy as a result. I've had a word with the (lovely lovely lovely) TA in his class and we are looking to bring it up with the Head this month if it continues.

May I suggest that you start a paper trail on this . We were v happy with how dd's school dealt with the bullying. But when it all kicked off again within 3 days of the start of term, I realised that the verbal side of things was not enough. Once I wrote down all the incidents that I could remember, the list filled a side of A4! It will give you evidence to present to the powers in charge, if necessary, and also means that ds3 knows that you are doing something.

Hugs to him x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    Thanks, apple :) Have made some notes and have spoken to class TA. Have apt on Weds to see Head at parents' evening - I suspect she'll think it's about DS2's CAT scores (but I'm not expecting any surprises with those) but DS3 will be our main topic. OH will be the main one talking. I'm not fussed on the Head and he is great at dealing with her :D

Other news here: OH and I went for Afternoon Tea on Monday - Groupon deal. Was an ok afternoon tea (included some dodgy sparkling wine) but was a bargain and we had a fun afternoon out - and then came home for a half hour nap (I can't drink in the day!!) before the school run :D:D

We've cleared most of the unwanted items from m-I-l's place now - there's just a small box of about half a dozen items for CS left, which I cleared yesterday. The local CS has done very well from it :) She was a very heavy smoker and the walls/ ceilings and doors are literally brown with it :( We're replacing the kitchen (we put it in about 10-12 years ago and some of it is damaged - we may change the layout to fit more storage in there, too. We've had a quote for a new heating system (currently has a mix of 1970s brown night storage heaters and 2000s grey and white storage heaters - not pretty!), and are now awaiting possible timescales on that. OH has taken down curtains and picture hooks and has been filling holes. Walls need washing and then I need to find someone to paint everywhere and then get our local lovely carpet fitter to come in and do something neutral and hardwearing throughout. We've freegled and sold some bits of furniture and have kept just a few pieces to help dress the place, which will then be offered to any tenant to buy, or will look to sell them on fbook - I only want to let it on an unfurnished basis. Realistically, though, we're looking at Xmas/ NY before it's ready, due to other stuff we've got going on - and I refuse to do anything with it on weekends, as they're family time in the main (plus OH has a few small DIY jobs to do here, and they'll never get done at this rate!)

Work wise - he's not got another contract yet. He had a verbal offer of one in London for a bank, but sign off by ultimate layer wasn't agreed to the project/ budget, so that was withdrawn. They want to interview him for a different role this week, though. He's also been looking at very local roles, which pay less - but we don't need as much salary now we're MF - and some things are more important. Both local opportunities have said he's too big and would get bored though :(:( - he had that before when he was out of work for months - people wouldn't take him on (or even interview him) for lower roles, as they didn't want to invest in him for him to then potentially leave after a few months. Hard to persuade people that it's not all about the money!!

DD is at Leeds Uni with OH today, at the open day. She likes it. We're off to look at Cardiff in 2 weeks (I'm taking her to that one). I shall be glad when she's completed her UCAS form - hopefully the huge pile of Uni Prospectuses (prospecti???) in her room can then (mostly) be recycled! :D:D Strange to think that she won't be here this time next year :( - she's my baby girl :(

Our kitchen man appears to have gone AWOL yet again :(:( I think we're going to have to find someone else - so there's virtually no hope of new kitchen before Xmas in that case (it was meant to be this month) Grrrr!!!

Dry - but chilly - day here today. Washing is just hanging on line - no wind - so not sure it'll actually dry. Haven't got heating on yet - am hoping to make it to at least half term :) Kids aren't complaining (too much) yet!!! :D

x
  • Karmacat
    You've done such a lot on the house, greent - hope you can find a proper kitchen man so the impetus isnt lost.
  • greent
    Kitchen man is a good fitter - but has lots of big contracts as a result - I fear we're almost too small :(

Brrrr it's cold here today! Actually had frost on the cars this morning - may have to give in soon and put the heating on for an hour in the morning and 90 mins in the evening !:eek: New windows and doors are making a difference, though - although everyone appears t have changed over to snuggly PJs and dressing gowns are out in force on a morning! :D I'm wearing a scarf indoors because my cold never fully materialised bu has gone straight on my chest, so the scarf does help there (that, and lots of cups of tea! :coffee:

Have 2 loads of washing out on line - it's bright, but line is currently in shade from one of NDN's HUGE trees :( (wasn't that big when we moved here and sited line there) Am hopeful that most of it will get *reasonably* dry and then it can air indoors overnight if necessary.

Seem to be silly-ly busy atm :( Have activities on for kids 4 nights a week as standard, but other things keep getting added to it - such as last week DD and OH being away on Fri night/ Sat all day for a uni open day (was Leeds, so overnight necessary), and then all 3 boys being involved in a fundraising activity on Sunday for 2 hours. Today we have parents evening for 2 smallest ones but DD is out until gone 8 helping at her school's Open Eve. DS2 is going to an Open Eve at DS1's school tonight - and DS3 has Beavers (standard). Fri night I'm out setting up a nearly new sale charity event - and I'm also out Sat from 7.30am - 2pm at same event - and then have to rush to take DS3 to party 45mins away. I don't think we have anything extra-curricular on Sun, thankfully - but I will be counting all the money from Sat's event and sorting out all the commissions for sellers. None of them are big things by themselves, but throw in that OH is doing a bit of DIY here and we're still sorting out m-I-l's place and there are other uni visits coming up and other stuff (other parents eves, social stuff which the kids have etc) and I feel like 'stop the world, I want to get off for a rest!' :D I'm not moaning, btw - although it may sound like it - we're lucky to have the children, that they can do (and like to) extra activities, that DD wants to go to Uni etc - it just seems a busy few weeks. Am hoping Nov is quieter before the usual inevitable Dec chaos (when it's also DD's 18th)

Lost 1lb this week at SW - which was good, as I'd definitely been feeding my cold-which-never-was heaps, as most things tasted like cardboard, so I ate loads! :o Have already achieved this month's Florida target, so that's :T A hopefully will sell a heap load of stuff at nearly new sale this weekend:D

Currently have 3 loads of dough proving - for soft rolls, a wholemeal loaf and iced buns :) Was OH's bday yesterday and I made a giant cupcake for it - choc and golden syrup cake with 200gm of choc chips in the mixture, the middle was filled with vanilla buttercream and cadburys giant buttons, top and bottom were sandwiched together with more vanilla buttercream, and then the top and sides were covered in a dark choc ganache, with cadburys fingers around the outside and maltesers all over the top - millions of calories!! :D:D Not very MSE to make, either - but the kids think it's amazing :D

Trying to use freezer stuff up still - have loads of fruit and veggies in there, so soups, crumbles etc are the order of this month :) Would like some space in there for the Xmas period! Still have loads of Bramleys to process -and masses of pears, too! Courgettes are still growing, but have got rid of all tom plants - last fruits are on kitchen windowsill. Majority which are left probably won't ripen now - am waiting for the green ones from my mum's garden too, and then I'll make a (small) batch of green tomato chutney to use them up :) My other target is jars in the fridge - this is always a problematic area! - but, then again, we currently have 3 jars of (different) jam and 1 marmalade (all HM) on the go in there, so I don't help the situation! :rotfl:

Time for another :coffee:now, I think! :)
    xx
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    :drool::drool::drool:

Oooh, that cake...

:drool::drool::drool:
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback