PIP F2F questions

Options
Hello

Someone I know has been asked to attend a PIP F2F. They have never had a F2F before for either PIP or ESA due to the nature of their conditions.

They have a number of physical health problems, mild learning difficulties, severe mental health issues and autism - with a tendency to get aggressive and lash out when stressed or upset.

All this was explained on the forms and they have always been given a paper-based assessments previously. They have a letter for a F2F in early July.

The reality is they don't leave their house and won't speak to anyone other than their regular carers. They don't have an appointee (although their carers basically manage all their affairs for them) but we have been told that they must explain their condition to the HCA - not a carer. So how on earth does this work when the individual is mute to unfamiliar people? Surely they have rules for this?

Additionally they don't like being touched & become aggressive if they are touched. We have been told they need to have a physical assessment. They have been told that they have issues with touch but we've been told if they refuse the physical assessment then their claim will be rejected. surely their are rules about when autistic people don't want to be touched?

Also we asked who was doing the assessment ( to try to prepare him for the assessment) also because he gets aggressive at male carers/doctors etc due to negative experiences in the past. We were told that the assessor is allocated on the day. My concern is that he becomes aggressive to a male HCA. Surely they can't just allocate a HCA on the day, how will they have even read the form and all the evidence sent in?

I fear this is going to go very, very badly as they won't understand his condition and behaviour. I feel like they have already not understood his condition as they are making him do an actual interview which he cannot cope with. The helpline could only suggest we go through the process of getting an appointee but that won't help right now and there isn't anyone willing to take on that role officially right now.

Can anyone suggest anything to help? We have already contacted the helpline who were unhelpful and said he has to attend and speak for himself and agree to the examination. No account of his behaviour and problems have been taken. We are desperate for help.

Zziggi

Comments

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All I can say is it is possible to request a female for the f2f, as I did this and it was a female who came. Maybe get whoever knows him best, and his conditions eg his Consultant or whoever is best placed medically, to write to them & state what he needs. It does ask on the form also to list anything needed for a f2f, so they should take it all into account
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you UKtigerlily. All his issues were explained on the form and a support worker filled in the section in the form explaining why a F2F would be difficult, including his tendency to lash out when stressed and how he can't talk to strangers. There is a real risk he could hit-out at the HCA if stressed. All this seems to have been totally ignored. I don't really want to be involved and be there if he is put in that situation because they won't understand and no doubt would call the police and cancel his claim.

I can't actually believe they would put someone this obviously unwell through a F2F.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose another option is to not attend the F2F appointment in July but you have to demonstrate good reason why you didn't attend.

Can anyone tell me what is considered a good reason to not attend?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Zziggi wrote: »
    I suppose another option is to not attend the F2F appointment in July but you have to demonstrate good reason why you didn't attend.

Can anyone tell me what is considered a good reason to not attend?

'Good reason' is not defined. If they simply fail to attend the claim will almost certainly be closed and they will then be trying to challenge that decision which will be even more stressful.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ikcdab
    ikcdab Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I understand it, the f2f is to confirm and add to the data on the form. It is important that the assessor sees the claimant. If he acts in the way you suggest then all that will do is to confirm what's on the form and will help the claim. It is essential that he is accompanied by someone, from what you say he should not go alone.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have Autism...and going to a F2F in an unknown-to-me location would cause me severe anxiety. When I was called for a F2F, my Mother/Carer phoned their number and explained that I couldn't attend the center, and could THEY come to ME instead...and I was - after an initial refusal and repeated phonecalls by Mum! - granted a home assessment.

My mother was with me throughout the assessment. All the questions were addressed to me, but some of them Mum answered on my behalf, and for some she gave additional information.

Could your friend ask one of his regular carers to request a Home Assessment...and arrange for them to be with him when the assessor comes?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure