Money left in will

I still see my ex's dad on a regular basis, he is 92. He does have posible skin cancer, but he is otherwise very well!

Bizzarly my ex said that when he dies and she gets a quarter of the estate, £200,000; she will give her daughter £20,000 and me a few thousand.
My ex has not worked in at least 10 years, what would happen to her benefits if she got £50,000 and then gave away half of it and spent some?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I still see my ex's dad on a regular basis, he is 92. He does have posible skin cancer, but he is otherwise very well!

Bizzarly my ex said that when he dies and she gets a quarter of the estate, £200,000; she will give her daughter £20,000 and me a few thousand.
    My ex has not worked in at least 10 years, what would happen to her benefits if she got £50,000 and then gave away half of it and spent some?
    If she receives any means tested benefits then anything she receives that's more than £16,000 then all of her benefits will stop.

If she gives any of the money away then they will be classed as deprivation of capital and she will still be classed as having the money. You can't just give the money away and expect to carry on claiming means tested benefits.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If she received £50k and gives away even half of it she will still be way above the limit for Income Related benefits. However she will also be assumed, by DWP and other departments, still to have the money she gave away. As poppy12345 said, it will be considered 'Deprivation of Capital'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

If she got her Dad to make a will, leaving the money directly to you and her daughter, that would be okay.

If she is the beneficiary and gives away the money, the situation is as the others have said - she will been counted as still having the money.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If she is the beneficiary and gives away the money, the situation is as the others have said - she will been counted as still having the money.

I have tried to avoid even talking about the will, I am the person that sees him the most, but I accept I could well get nothing.

He is of sound mind, but he struggles to decide what to do, he should speak to the solicitor that drew up the will.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I have tried to avoid even talking about the will, I am the person that sees him the most, but I accept I could well get nothing.

He is of sound mind, but he struggles to decide what to do, he should speak to the solicitor that drew up the will.

I don't see (a) why you feel that potentially you should get anything from his estate and (b) why you think it bizarre that he would leave his estate to his children. What he wishes to leave to whom, is entirely his decision and I do agree that you really shouldn't discuss his will unless he raises the subject.
  • boomer69
    boomer69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Tell your ex she will cause herself difficulties if she gives money away, if she wants her dad to give money to you and her daughter then dad needs to change his will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure