PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just spent £4 on crisps, cheese n pizza today .This weather isn't helping the diet :( £4/150 :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Monthly budget will aim for £300
    To include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food and cat litter, non alcoholic drinks.!
    NSD will aim for at least 15 1/15

Hi everyone,
    Had an unexpectly good day today.
    Went to a xmas market this afternoon with dh and ds and, I nearly gave into temptation but they weren't interested in any of the food, unbelievable but I'm very pleased about that. We did have lunch before we went out so it would just have been greed.
    We ALMOST need some milk but dh says it can last till Monday, so I'll go with that. I'm a bit of a sucker in a smt; can't just buy one thing.
    Ds asked us if we want fish N chips tonight, once again I'm going with dh in avoiding this temptation ad he's set on making us a vegetarian chilli with brown rice, all from store cupboard (would just LOVE fish N chips tho��! ).
    Ps loving all the ideas and suggestions from you all.
  • Up to 157 spend out of my 341 budget. 8 days in. Hhmm must have a proper look in the cupboards and on my meal planner to see where im up to.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • My Annual budget means I have £589.95 left for December, including some stores (always good for YS on Christmas Eve) and Christmas excess. We are not buying the usual boxes of sweets or biscuits this year. I will buy some regular crackers and a packet of McYitties Digestives to go with cheese and I intend getting some of those red ball chocolates to intersperse with cracking walnuts (they look very festive).

I might also do something with my stash of macadamia (already shelled) nuts that might involve homemade chocolate fudge or dipping them in something lovely, but it will be small. We have not spent this autumn carefully losing weight and taking our food back to simple home-cooked vegetable-heavy meals to throw all away. I have a medium frozen turkey crown that will indulge our desire for turkey salad and sandwiches with HM bread and I will be buying a much smaller FR turkey for the day (so some premium and some economy ingredients). I love Christmas hosting for lots of family and friends (it makes us clean and tidy up too!)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've managed to spend £13 already, new toothbrushes and our shampoo was on special offer so I stocked up. I will do a freezer and cupboard inventory before the next shop. We are batch cooking a vegan leek, chestnut and mushroom stuffed seitan loaf which should keep us fed on Sundays for a few weeks.

Good luck everyone.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Chloris wrote: »
    I've managed to spend £13 already, new toothbrushes and our shampoo was on special offer so I stocked up. I will do a freezer and cupboard inventory before the next shop. We are batch cooking a vegan leek, chestnut and mushroom stuffed seitan loaf which should keep us fed on Sundays for a few weeks.

Good luck everyone.

That sounds delish :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • I've already managed to spend £51.74 / £250 two days into the month, which includes £15 takeaway and £36.74 of combined supermarket shops. The supermarket shop includes a 10 kg bag of rice, various spices / herbs, lots of tins of tomatoes and chickpeas, and a lot of washing powder so bulk items - however it does feel rather as if I've overspent! I need to improve my shopping skills - I wandered around three supermarkets this afternoon trying to shop wisely and feel I took a lot of time with very little to show for the effort! :)
    Nov 18 Grocery Challenge (started 15.11.18 - target is half a month) £143.69/£125 -overspend £18.69
    Dec 18 Grocery Challenge (started 1.12.18) £148.57 /£250
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for the new thread elsiepac (last one of 2018 :eek: ), hello to regulars and welcome to newbies and returners. :hello:

I'm in again please, two adults, groceries only, with a reduced budget of £110 for 2nd - 29th December. It should be £140 for a 4-week month but I've cut £30 off to make up for the overspend I had last month. :o Should be perfectly do-able as the freezer, fridge and cupboards are well stocked and Christmas dinner at home this year is just for the two of us. It will be pretty much like a normal Sunday dinner with a couple of added extras. Definitely don't need ginormous amounts of "stuff" to have to deal with post-Xmas Day - I'd rather have some room for the reduced bargains that I come across. ;)

Good luck everyone!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Vanlady
    Vanlady Posts: 148 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Monthly budget will aim for £300 £60/£300
    To include all food, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food and cat litter, non alcoholic drinks.
    NSD will aim for at least 15 1/15

Evening all
    had a spend day today. The milk ran out and we needed a few of our other usual things so we decided to do our weekly shop. We did it in record time. ..about 40 mins around A**I. No time for browsing as we were in a rush. All just spent on food as didn't need any cleaning or toiletry supplies.
    Bought an UNPACKAGED swede in the super six box, great to see no plastic wrapping involved. Well have that mashed up with chicken tomorrow and any leftover can be frozen for another time.
    Yorkshire lass, we're another family here who will just have a glorified Sunday dinner on xmas day, and to include HM yorkies. Infact we don't even like turkey so we rebelled last year and just bought a large FR chicken and ham:p.
    Chloris; love the sound of your leek, chestnut and mushroom loaf. Any chance you can post the recipie?
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 2 December 2018 at 10:45PM
    No budget this month, though going to try and spend similar to previous months. I have spent £1000 ish less than last year; so this is brilliant for me, as I must have been doing this now for about seven years. I feel truly accomplished this year.
    Next year could go to pot though as we are moving in the summer and I will have two extra mouths to feed as DD1 & GD are moving in. I am so glad I have reigned everything in before this happens, as I will hopefully be well equipped at pinching the pennies. However, i am not sure I will have access to as many bargains as I have done this past year in my place of work, so might mean the opposite.

Spent £3.19 yesterday at Morrisons, and £3.99 in B and M, and £2.16 in work today.
    Total: £9.34
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport