PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Monthly Meal Planner

SeeWeed
SeeWeed Posts: 86 Forumite
edited 2 March 2010 at 9:05PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi

I am new to this board but have used 'old style' ways for a long time! I though it might be useful to share my monthly meal planner for August to show newbies how it really is possible to have a budget and still eat well. My budget is £40 per week for 2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog and two cats and this includes everything including household supplies. We often have people over for meals so I tend to base most meals on four people and freeze or use the leftovers for lunch the next day. All meat and fresh produce is bought from local producers and where possible is organic, though local is my first choice.

Week One

Friday Hummus and Garlic Pitta Breads
Saturday Pork Burgers with Salad
Sunday Roast Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Monday Chicken Cassoulet with Pasta (using left over chicken)
Tuesday Salmon and Dill Fishcakes with New Potatoes and Veg
Wed Bacon and Cheese Fritatta with Tomato Salsa
Thursday Chilli Bean Tortillas

Week Two

Friday Sausage and Mash with Veg
Saturday Chicken with Cannellini Beans
Sunday Lamb Hotpot
Monday Jacket Potatoes with Leeks and Mackeral
Tuesday Tagliatelle with Smoked Salmon
Wed Shepherds Pie, Peas and Sweetcorn
Thursday Pizza and Garlic Bread

Week Three

Friday Parmesan Chicken and Chips and Veg
Saturday Beef Burgers with Salad
Sunday Picnic
Monday Spaghetti Bolognese
Tuesday Lentils with Garlic and Mint and Rice
Wed Chicken with Red Pepper Crust with Veg
Thursday Pepperoni Pasta

Week Four

Friday Tuna and Onion Pizza and Garlic Bread
Saturday Chicken Curry and Rice
Sunday Roast Beef with Yorkshire Puddings
Monday Sausage and Tomato Spaghetti
Tuesday Potato, Bacon and Onion Hotpot
Wed Spaghetti Bolognese
Thursday Spicy Bacon Pasta

I hope this helps someone who is maybe trying to cut down their food bill for the first time. Any recipes wanted, please ask!

SW

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No. 133
Debt Free Date August 2014 :j
The £2.00 Coin Savers Club = £22.00

Comments

• poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That's making me salivate. Thanks so much for all the work you've put into that!
    Overpay!
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    That's truly inspiring! It's nice to see a meal planner that takes different food groups into account, and doesn't repeat itslef over and over, like mine does if i don't get my thinking head on! I have a huge huge file of recipes from websites, magazines, books etc, and a huge pile off cookbokks and i have to sit myself down with pen and paper to make our meals interesting and varied. i love cooking, so that helps.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks, SeeWeed
    It's always nice to see other peoples ideas! It's so easy to get stuck with just the same old recipes going round in circles.

edited to say: Nickyhutch - we cross posted, but that's just what I do. I also have a list of favourite recipes with the main ingredients & which recipe book they are in, which makes it a bit easier!

ps. just noticed this was my 800th post!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    wow thats fab. i'll be printing that later. the best thing i noticed u only had chips once. some weeks it feels like to don't know what do cook so i cook say chilli and chips or sausage casserole and chips.

very inspiring and u have put alot of effort into that. well done.
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SeeWeed

I just wanted to thank you for this aswell. I moved out a few months ago and cook for myself and my partner and, to be quite honest, I don't plan at all (bar the usual bulk buying meat from the butcher to freeze). We always eat good fresh food, but I am sure I waste more than I should and often throw leftovers away (depending on what it is).

I would love to start a proper meal planner to make our mealtimes much more cost effective, and will start with yours as a basis.

I can't tell you how much of a help this is, thank you for taking the time to put it all down onto this forum. :T

FTB83
  • SeeWeed
    Thanks all, just to add each week for those menus the cost is approx £20-£25 for four people and this can probably been done cheaper with little effort.

SW
  • jo101_2
    jo101_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Your menu planner looks great, I have just done a months plan for us and I found it quite hard going to make it interesting, but that looks great. Can you really do all that for £20-£25 a week?

Jo
    Starting with a clean slate.

August grocery challenge - £250
  • SeeWeed
    jo101 wrote:
    Hi

Your menu planner looks great, I have just done a months plan for us and I found it quite hard going to make it interesting, but that looks great. Can you really do all that for £20-£25 a week?

Jo

Yes! I will post a shopping list when I have a bit more time, if it helps? But you have to bear in mind I have most storecupboard ingredients so if you are buying these for the first time it may be a little more.

SW
  • mossstar
    mossstar Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ooooh, I'd love to see a shopping list! :D

I too plan our meal monthly - our nearest supermarket is 30kms away and i find it's much cheaper if I do one shop a month and then just get veg and milk locally. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out for us - it's amazing what an inspiration other people's plans can be (esp when you're sick to death of your own usual round of offerings! ha ha)

Steph
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    What a great plan for the month's menus. You may well have a regular job on here with that!

Delicious sounding and plenty of variety.

I will be copying it too!

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family