I am not fit to work - would they accept these reasons?

Comments

• cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    i cant offer any valuable advice but wanted to congratulate you on tackling your addiction. I wish you well for a bright future :)
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • gloryninja
    gloryninja Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2019 at 5:26PM
    Wow

thank you to all who responded with wonderful advice for me.

I do understand that they asses on how your medical situation effects your ability to work etc...

Although i am on methadone, i am definately not recovered and still suffer with the most basic stuff. When i got that job in iceland , i thought this was my chance to fix my life up but 2 weeks into my job, i physically and mentally could not handle the work and i stopped going to work with even not letting my manager know as i felt severe anxiety to contact him... I received a letter 3 weeks later stating that i am no longer an employee.

(i used to work at tesco back in 2011 for 3 years and was one of the top employees) but now its just impossible.

Would mentioning this during my assessment help my case?

Please note that i do not take drugs to get high... im way pass that now... no amount of heroin will make me feel high, i take it too feel normal and reduce withdrawals... I have to go chemist every single day for my methadone as even though my heroin use has reduced significantly, i still use it along with other drugs. 2 years ago i overdosed on fentanyl 3 times...

I refused to claim benefits before but it was only since 2018 that i realised how much it was impacted me in a negative way. my anxiety level is high, i leave my phone on silent to avoid calls as it causes me to panic...
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    How long is your reduction of methodone program, I.e. how many weeks until you are off it?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does your addiction team know you're still on opiates along with the methadone?
  • GlasweJen wrote: »
    I don’t know how I managed to miss that point.

OP, you have to get his sorted out, now. What do you think that you are doing?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 June 2019 at 11:14PM
    I don’t know how I managed to miss that point.

OP, you have to get his sorted out, now. What do you think that you are doing?

Recovering from heroin addiction is not an overnight thing, but what he's doing is very dangerous.
  • gloryninja
    edited 26 June 2019 at 12:08PM
    GlasweJen wrote: »

Hi

Yes , I have to give a urine test every week anyways and its better to be honest with my keyworker to get the right support.

I wont be getting off methadone anytime soon... it takes years to get leaned off it and im at the beginning of my recovery.

I did manage to be clean for 2 month during the first 2 month of my methadone recovery but a week after i started my job at iceland, i went back into heroin since i still had to go chemist everyday for my methadone and since i started work at 11am and finished at 10pm, i had to take my methadone around 9am and i always start to feel withdrawals around 10pm ... I should of been allowed to take my methadone home but till this day, i dont know why they never let me since i was clean for 2 month.

I have a first degree in BSc Computing which i graduated in 2015 . Since i was 17, i always had a job and due to my experiences, it is far more easier for me to land a job if i was to look for one...

If i was capable of working even the slightest, i would of never considered universal credit . One thing i dont want people to think is that i want to claim benefits to feed my habits. I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks. If it wasnt for my loving family, i would of been doomed a long time ago.

Once i am on a stable medication for my depression and on methadone with no other illicit drugs in my system where i feel physically and mentally healthy to work , i will notify them... i will love to go back to work but if i couldnt last 2 weeks doing the most basic of work, i wont risk it.

I posted my health and disability questionnaire i received yesterday in post and also i got my work search review tomorrow. I provided an updated fit note which covers the next two month.

I will update tomorrow after my appointment!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gloryninja wrote: »
    I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks.

So your paying £702 a year on prescriptions? :eek:

You can get unlimited prescriptions for £104 a year with a PPC, which would save you £598 a year, or does this not apply to you for some reason?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2019 at 4:22PM
    gloryninja wrote: »
    Hi

Yes , I have to give a urine test every week anyways and its better to be honest with my keyworker to get the right support.

I wont be getting off methadone anytime soon... it takes years to get leaned off it and im at the beginning of my recovery.

I did manage to be clean for 2 month during the first 2 month of my methadone recovery but a week after i started my job at iceland, i went back into heroin since i still had to go chemist everyday for my methadone and since i started work at 11am and finished at 10pm, i had to take my methadone around 9am and i always start to feel withdrawals around 10pm ... I should of been allowed to take my methadone home but till this day, i dont know why they never let me since i was clean for 2 month.

I have a first degree in BSc Computing which i graduated in 2015 . Since i was 17, i always had a job and due to my experiences, it is far more easier for me to land a job if i was to look for one...

If i was capable of working even the slightest, i would of never considered universal credit . One thing i dont want people to think is that i want to claim benefits to feed my habits. I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks. If it wasnt for my loving family, i would of been doomed a long time ago.

Once i am on a stable medication for my depression and on methadone with no other illicit drugs in my system where i feel physically and mentally healthy to work , i will notify them... i will love to go back to work but if i couldnt last 2 weeks doing the most basic of work, i wont risk it.

I posted my health and disability questionnaire i received yesterday in post and also i got my work search review tomorrow. I provided an updated fit note which covers the next two month.

I will update tomorrow after my appointment!
    Are you not worried on the combination of methadone and opiates you could overdose?
    I expect they wouldn’t let you take the methadone home because people sell it
  • gloryninja
    Takmon wrote: »
    So your paying £702 a year on prescriptions? :eek:

You can get unlimited prescriptions for £104 a year with a PPC, which would save you £598 a year, or does this not apply to you for some reason?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/

I actually did not know about this... tbh, it took my family multiple lecturing just to get me to sign up for universal credit as i literally felt that i would be looked down on for claiming on the basis of drug addiction and depression (i feel embaressed for being 26 and having to be lectured but its only been like this for the past 2 years and before that i was the person people use to look up to). i also did not mention but i also had this interviews for a job after iceland which i failed to attend due to this severe anxiety which is difficult to explain but it impact my ability to even pick up calls on my mobile and i often leave my phone switched off as anytime it rings, i feel like im going to have a panic attack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure