Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One.time
    • By One.time 19th May 19, 3:33 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    One.time
    10 years corsa diesel - exhaust
    • 19th May 19, 3:33 AM
    10 years corsa diesel - exhaust 19th May 19 at 3:33 AM
    It has mentioned on MOT since 2014

2014 - rear exhaust box corroded

2017 - nearside rear exhaust box casing corroded

2018 - rear exhaust has minor leak of exhaust gases back box corroded

2019 - exhaust back box deteriorated

https://ibb.co/nL5WTjH

By looking at the picture, how long has it got left?

Quoted to 'renew the rear silencer' at 204 by halford

Say I don't fix it till it 'fall off', would it cost more in future.

I don't mind getting it fixed now, as the balance is just going onto 0% purchase CC, I just don't wanna fixing something that a) doesn't have to now b) it's simply wear and tear
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 19th May 19, 6:38 AM
    • 8,211 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 19th May 19, 6:38 AM
    • 19th May 19, 6:38 AM
    Get quotes from local independent exhaust companies.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 19th May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 19th May 19, 8:09 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:09 AM
    It only looks to be the outer skin at this stage. I would trim away the large flapping sections so there is no risk of them falling off and hitting another car. Then run it until the inner skin fails which you will know about by the noise.

It could fail next month or you might get another year or two. When you replace it go to an independent as they will be much cheaper than Halford or kwikfit.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 19th May 19, 8:10 AM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 19th May 19, 8:10 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:10 AM
    The exhaust has a double skin by the looks of it. Mine is similar.
    Water gets in-between and then that's the outer layer.
    You can get under the car and remove all the outer that's rusting and should be good for a couple of years.
    I used an oscillating multitool, took less then 5 mins.

If you do decide to get a new back box in the future go to a local independent exhaust place, I wouldn't expect to pay over 100.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 19, 8:17 AM
    • 22,885 Posts
    • 21,811 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 19th May 19, 8:17 AM
    • 19th May 19, 8:17 AM
    TWO HUNDRED QUID?

Depending on the precise engine, the part could be as little as 40-50.
    https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/end-silencer/vauxhall/corsa/corsa-mk-iii-d-l-8-1-3-cdti-75hp-2006-201

Anybody who can't fit a back box in half an hour shouldn't be fitting exhausts for a living.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 19th May 19, 11:23 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 19th May 19, 11:23 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:23 AM
    Get a decent car and the exhausts last. I have a 99 plate Mercedes and a 2000 plate hyundai, both still on original exhausts after more than 180K miles on each.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 22,885 Posts
    • 21,811 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 19th May 19, 11:25 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:25 AM
    Get a decent car and the exhausts last. I have a 99 plate Mercedes and a 2000 plate hyundai, both still on original exhausts after more than 180K miles on each.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Higher mileages mean the exhausts are more likely to last longer - because they've always got properly hot, and boiled the corrosive water vapours off.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 4,643 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:54 AM
    Originally posted by One.time
    Looking at that I'd say you have 2 months, 5 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 12 seconds.

Give or take a year or two.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 10,277 Posts
    • 15,960 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 19th May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 19th May 19, 11:59 AM
    Looking at that I'd say you have 2 months, 5 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 12 seconds.

Give or take a year or two.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Even less if they keep taking it to Halfrauds.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • One.time
    • By One.time 19th May 19, 1:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    One.time
    Had my free Mot from them.

But I did think I got ripped off for 48 replace both windscreen wiper blades and 22 for diesel common rail cleaner but hey no.....

I definitely shop around when it's 200+

As for the exhaust. I totally understand anything can happen at any time but its good to know there is two layers. I shall see if it get worse.

So let's say 6 months from now, 'the inner skin falls which I will know about by the noise'

Does this still mean I would only have to 'renew the rear silence', last thing I want is to wait and incure anymore damage/cost.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Leaving it is unlikely to cause any problems. The only way I could see it causing any additional damage would be if the hanger came off and the silencer dragged something else off the car. From your pic it doesn't look like this is where the corrosion is.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 22,885 Posts
    • 21,811 Thanks
    AdrianC
    But I did think I got ripped off for 48 replace both windscreen wiper blades
    For a 10yo Corsa?

15 for a pair of Lucas blades.
    https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/vauxhall-corsa-years-2006-to-2014-wiper-blades
    They take about a minute each to fit, with slightly less skill and co-ordination than using cutlery to eat.

and 22 for diesel common rail cleaner but hey no.....
    Snake oil.

So let's say 6 months from now, 'the inner skin falls which I will know about by the noise'
    Yes.

Of course, we can only see that the back box itself is shagged. For all we know, the pipe forward of there may be on last legs, too, and it's worth getting the lot done at once.

I needed to replace the original exhaust on one of mine a year or two ago - it'd lasted 20yrs from new, to be fair. The back box looked better than that one - but close inspection showed a slight blow in a couple of places it'd gone very thin. What actually failed on it, though, was the pipe fracturing forward of the clamp to the back box. The downpipe/cat looked absolutely fine at the time, so I didn't change it. It actually lasted about another six months.

If one bit's gone, the rest probably isn't far behind.
  • archived user

Say I don't fix it till it 'fall off', would it cost more in future.
    I'd change that sooner than later if for no other reason than to avoid the attention of the police.

204 is double what my sis in law was quoted for an entire exhaust from local discount exhaust place.

Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    That's more to do with the annual mileage and type of journey than it being a decent car. An exhaust on a car that does long journeys will last much much longer than one that does mostly short ones due to the fact that on long journeys the moisture that builds up in them overnight gets burned off whereas on short journeys it doesn't get hot enough to.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 10,277 Posts
    • 15,960 Thanks
    worried jim
    Had my free Mot from them.
    Doesn't sound that free. Lesson learnt, ask friends and family for a good independent garage that they use- or ask the local taxi drivers where they take their cars for servicing etc.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 19th May 19, 5:51 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Another vote to trim off the loose skin and wait and see......it could last another 1 or 2 years
    Avoid Halfords at all costs they are nothing but a bunch of crooks along with Kwik Fit
    • One.time
    • By One.time 19th May 19, 6:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    One.time
    Clearly lesson not learned when I have booked my next free ish(10) mot with Halford. I would roughly estimate I have overpaid double of what it should be. So I guess that 35 paid for the free mot.

I'm OK personally with them or even independent garage take a little advantage as long it is not blantly taking the !!!! expensive.

Thank you all for the advise. I shall trim off the loose bit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,435Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter