First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
It has mentioned on MOT since 2014

2014 - rear exhaust box corroded

2017 - nearside rear exhaust box casing corroded

2018 - rear exhaust has minor leak of exhaust gases back box corroded

2019 - exhaust back box deteriorated

https://ibb.co/nL5WTjH

By looking at the picture, how long has it got left?

Quoted to 'renew the rear silencer' at £204 by halford

Say I don't fix it till it 'fall off', would it cost more in future.

I don't mind getting it fixed now, as the balance is just going onto 0% purchase CC, I just don't wanna fixing something that a) doesn't have to now b) it's simply wear and tear

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Quoted to 'renew the rear silencer' at £204 by halford
    Get quotes from local independent exhaust companies.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078
    Forumite
    It only looks to be the outer skin at this stage. I would trim away the large flapping sections so there is no risk of them falling off and hitting another car. Then run it until the inner skin fails which you will know about by the noise.

It could fail next month or you might get another year or two. When you replace it go to an independent as they will be much cheaper than Halford or kwikfit.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    The exhaust has a double skin by the looks of it. Mine is similar.
    Water gets in-between and then that's the outer layer.
    You can get under the car and remove all the outer that's rusting and should be good for a couple of years.
    I used an oscillating multitool, took less then 5 mins.

If you do decide to get a new back box in the future go to a local independent exhaust place, I wouldn't expect to pay over £100.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    TWO HUNDRED QUID?

Depending on the precise engine, the part could be as little as £40-50.
    https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/end-silencer/vauxhall/corsa/corsa-mk-iii-d-l-8-1-3-cdti-75hp-2006-201

Anybody who can't fit a back box in half an hour shouldn't be fitting exhausts for a living.
  • Get a decent car and the exhausts last. I have a 99 plate Mercedes and a 2000 plate hyundai, both still on original exhausts after more than 180K miles on each.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Get a decent car and the exhausts last. I have a 99 plate Mercedes and a 2000 plate hyundai, both still on original exhausts after more than 180K miles on each.
    Higher mileages mean the exhausts are more likely to last longer - because they've always got properly hot, and boiled the corrosive water vapours off.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One.time wrote: »
    By looking at the picture, how long has it got left?

Looking at that I'd say you have 2 months, 5 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 12 seconds.

Give or take a year or two.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Looking at that I'd say you have 2 months, 5 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 12 seconds.

Give or take a year or two.

Even less if they keep taking it to Halfrauds.
  • One.time
    One.time Posts: 30
    Forumite
    Had my free Mot from them.

But I did think I got ripped off for £48 replace both windscreen wiper blades and £22 for diesel common rail cleaner but hey no.....

I definitely shop around when it's £200+

As for the exhaust. I totally understand anything can happen at any time but its good to know there is two layers. I shall see if it get worse.

So let's say 6 months from now, 'the inner skin falls which I will know about by the noise'

Does this still mean I would only have to 'renew the rear silence', last thing I want is to wait and incure anymore damage/cost.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Leaving it is unlikely to cause any problems. The only way I could see it causing any additional damage would be if the hanger came off and the silencer dragged something else off the car. From your pic it doesn't look like this is where the corrosion is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure