Diamond hallmark 'DIA'

Hello!

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this!

- I have a diamond engagement ring with 4 small diamonds and on the inner ring I can see that it's 18k white gold, but there is also a mark relating to the diamonds:

".13 DiA"

Does anyone know, would this be the total for all 4 stones, or would it account for each one?

Many thanks.

Robin.

Comments

• antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Total of all stones...........sorry
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2015 at 10:38AM
    Dia I think means diameter.

Nothing to do with diamonds as obviously you could swap them etc.

ETA..... A Google says dia means originally sold with diamonds. Not sure that helps. If you type in to Google ' what does my ring tell me' there's loads of about from jewellers.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Hi Robin

I believe that .13 actually refers to the total weight of the diamonds. So your ring has .13 of a carat in diamonds.

DIA is the hallmark confirming that the stones are (or were when the ring was made) Diamonds.

Though on some jewellery you can see a hallmark resembling a “pie chart” or simplified diamond image, if you will. Which I believe also indicates diamonds.

Of course it should go without saying that diamonds are normally only used in higher grade precious metals warranting their own hallmarks. So if these are not also present. It’s unlikely to be diamond(s).

Hope this helps

Chris
  • I guess it refers to the total weight of the diamonds.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335
    First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely the total weight of all the stones together.
  • I have a ring with hallmarks 750 DIA on one side and the other side initials I think are GA, scales, 750 in a rectangle type box then a letter but can't make that out,, it's my husbands nans but we know nothing about it only grandad bought it. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    donna1301 said:
    I have a ring with hallmarks 750 DIA on one side and the other side initials I think are GA, scales, 750 in a rectangle type box then a letter but can't make that out,, it's my husbands nans but we know nothing about it only grandad bought it. 
    It's an old thread but...the 750 may refer to 18 carat gold - which is 3/4 of 24 carat of pure gold.
    I have gold jewellery bought in India that is 18 carat gold and is marked '750'.

Explained here:
    • 9 karat gold – 375. Likewise, you won’t find any US jewelry marked with 375, but you’ll see it on British items.
    • 10 karat gold – 417 (sometimes marked as 416). All jewelry sold in the US must be at least 10 karats in order to be marketed as gold.
    • 12 karat gold – 500. You won’t see much 12K jewelry since it tends to be fairly dull in color.
    • 14 karat gold – 583 (sometimes marked as 585)
    • 18 karat gold – 750
    • 22 karat gold – 916 (sometimes marked as 917). Normally, 22K gold is too soft to use in much jewelry, but it’s often used for gold leaf or plating.
    • 24 karat gold – 999. Again, 24K gold is too soft for jewelry.
    The letter will indicate which year it was assayed or made.

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2021 at 8:17AM
    Does that also apply to stud earrings?  I have a pair marked 0.25, but don't know if that is for each stud or for the pair.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2021 at 8:37AM
    Pollycat said:
    donna1301 said:
    I have a ring with hallmarks 750 DIA on one side and the other side initials I think are GA, scales, 750 in a rectangle type box then a letter but can't make that out,, it's my husbands nans but we know nothing about it only grandad bought it. 
    It's an old thread but...the 750 may refer to 18 carat gold - which is 3/4 of 24 carat of pure gold.
    I have gold jewellery bought in India that is 18 carat gold and is marked '750'.

Explained here:
    • 9 karat gold – 375. Likewise, you won’t find any US jewelry marked with 375, but you’ll see it on British items.
    • 10 karat gold – 417 (sometimes marked as 416). All jewelry sold in the US must be at least 10 karats in order to be marketed as gold.
    • 12 karat gold – 500. You won’t see much 12K jewelry since it tends to be fairly dull in color.
    • 14 karat gold – 583 (sometimes marked as 585)
    • 18 karat gold – 750
    • 22 karat gold – 916 (sometimes marked as 917). Normally, 22K gold is too soft to use in much jewelry, but it’s often used for gold leaf or plating.
    • 24 karat gold – 999. Again, 24K gold is too soft for jewelry.
    The letter will indicate which year it was assayed or made.

I have 2 necklace chains from Saudi Arabia.  The lighter chain link one is marked 750, but the heavier one - a solid rope design - is marked 21K.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback