PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    storytime wrote: »
    Spent £27.89 at Sainsbobs yesterday. Only needed fresh food and used up the last voucher they sent me. I now have extra Nector points but have no idea what I do with them?
    I save mine for birthday and christmas treats now :)

You can spend them when you have £2.50, just tell the cashier how much you would like off your total, £2.50, £5, £7.50 or £10 etc.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2014 at 10:34AM
    lynnejk wrote: »
    Put it in the coldest place you can find such as conservatory, shed, garage. Give it 4 hours a kg. Take out giblets as soon as possible. Check cavity free of ice crystals and cook as soon as defrosted. Hope you enjoy :)

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Lx

Thankyou :A, I have put it in water in the back kitchen and have no heat on in there. It seems to have hardly defrosted at all overnight.
    I'm guessing It won't be ready to cook at anytime today by the 4 hours per kilo :(
    I'm on a long shift tomorrow so I can't cook it then. Would it still be alright by Sunday morning? I will move it in to our shed.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • xxlouisexx56
    xxlouisexx56 Posts: 2,267 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    £8.92 in M's yesterday.

Kitchen roll, bread, apples, pasta shapes and lots of whoopsies. Goose fat roast potatoes £2 down to 19p. Mash £1 down to 9p!
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Chloris wrote: »
    Snap! We are having mushroom and spinach lasagne for tea too!

This sounds lovely! As a fairly new veggie, I struggle with inspiration for recipes. If you have time, can you point me in the direction of a recipe?

Hopefully my 3rd NSD in a row today!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Returning after a year's absence... determined to save as much as possible this year coz we need work done on the house and have no money to do it!

Cupboards are pretty well stocked - hubbie gets a Christmas bonus (£250) and we use that every year to treat ourselves to a big shop and lots of goodies. There's £180 in the shopping account...I'd like to come in just under that at £130. That will be mostly packed lunch stuff and fresh fruit...oh, and cat food/litter ;-)
    Mortgage starting balance - [STRIKE]£151,030 [/STRIKE]:eek: [STRIKE]£143,733.28[/STRIKE] £137,000 (25 years to go...):o
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi can I join this month please. I would like to be put down for £500.

This is for 2 adults, 2 teenagers (who are eating me out of house and home) 1 tween 1 dog and 1 cat. This is to include all food, takeaways, toiletries and cleaning stuff.

At the moment the cupboards and freezers are fairly full so I shall be trying to use up what we have so I can defrost and clean the freezers. I love this month when the world seems full of promise and challenges seem achievable :D.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,873 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

Just on quickly. Went to WR to collect an order - treated myself to a CathK handbag with my Xmas money :j - and I had a quick look around the shop. I got 2 x 4m rolls of wrapping paper at 75p each and a WR Belgian choc sponge pudding rtc for 87p - this will feed the 5 of us with a little cream/ice cream, as I imagine it will be very rich. There were lots left, also Hest0n Christmas puddings for £2 and other chocolate. We don't like Christmas pudding and have enough chocs left to last a while so I resisted!

So 87p spent from grocery budget and £1.50 from my Christmas budget.

Back later to update budgets :D
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    CherryPie wrote: »
    This sounds lovely! As a fairly new veggie, I struggle with inspiration for recipes. If you have time, can you point me in the direction of a recipe?

Hopefully my 3rd NSD in a row today!

look on the front page there are loads of fantastic recipie ideas there, i often forget about it but have had some brilliant meals made from those pages. (the quorn and leek pie someone put on is lovely -sorry cant recall the OPs name)

Chloris, your mushroom and spinach lasagne sounds lovely, ive not tried that combo
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been doing a lot of cooking from scratch this week - fritatta tonight and we've already had home-made fish fingers (delicious but what a faff to make!) and a chicken and chorizo gratin.

This weekend I have family in town, so it's likely that we'll be out for dinner a few times. That should help my food budget :D
  • BlueCow1975
    BlueCow1975 Posts: 1,422 Forumite
    Well.......I was up until late last night reading this thread and am hugely inspired by all your efforts / tips and advice. I have never done this challenge before and I know that the grocery shop is a huge area of money wastage for us!

To some extent I think we are the supermarkets "dream" with no shopping list, no real meal plan beyond a day or 2 in advance and impulse buy all those interesting offers and none food items that all of a sudden become essential! I am worse for this in Ald !!

I am sick and tired of needing milk and bread, then coming out having spent £28. So - this is the time to do something about it!!!!! I have a great slow cooker and my in laws bought us an actifry for Christmas which will also come in handy.

So, meal plans, shopping lists and budgets are sooooooo the way forward. I suspect in reality if I added it up properly our family spend is around £500 a month which is absolutely ridiculous!!! So, for this month will go for £400 and see how I get on. As I get more into this would like to reduce it down even further.

So, BlueCow1975 £400

Really looking forward to getting control of this :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure