How to get a tax rebate inc Tax Code Checker

Former_MSE_Dan
Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 23 February 2022 at 8:40AM in Cutting tax
Hi folks,

This is the discussion thread for the MSE guide to checking your tax code and possibly getting a rebate (and dealing with underpayments)

Please feedback on the article in here, plus add suggestions for improvement - or just discuss it between yourselves!

If you want to let us know about successful rebates you have got, please post in the Tax Rebate Success thread.

Ta

Dan
Former MSE team member

Comments

• marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    I have checked 3 years

2 say : There's a difference of £55 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code. Unless you have any other income, or deductions (see below), it appears your tax code could be incorrect

And other says: There's a difference of £5 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code. Unless you have any other income, or deductions (see below), it appears your tax code could be incorrect

So now I just write and ask them for the money back! are there any templates showing me what to say etc?

Great Tool :)
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • bevan840
    bevan840 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm wondering the same thing, just checked out DH's and it said there was a difference of £665!!! :eek: But it doesn't say in which way, wether tax man owes him or other way round. Any idea's how to tell?
    :idea: Jan 09. Debt @ LBM - £11936.55 Debt at worst - £12600.55 Current Debt (01/03/2012) £8,859.51 29.7% Paid off
    Honeymoon Fund £410.40/£6000 House Deposit £1.50
    :A Proud to be dealing with my debts. DFW Nerd 1177 :A
  • marcellep
    bevan840 wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same thing, just checked out DH's and it said there was a difference of £665!!! :eek: But it doesn't say in which way, wether tax man owes him or other way round. Any idea's how to tell?

Guess if it says that they are due us £££:beer:

There's a difference of £55 between the tax free allowance suggested by age & salary, and the one from your tax code. Unless you have any other income, or deductions (see below), it appears your tax code could be incorrect.

This is just below where is show the figure!

Does this mean my tax code's wrong?
    Unless you have any other income, or deductions, your tax code could be incorrect. Remember, this is only a rough check, but it suggests your tax code doesn't match your age and salary
  • bevan840
    bevan840 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wicked!! so need to get him to ring HMRC now then, that will be a job for tomorrow :D thanks marcellep
    :idea: Jan 09. Debt @ LBM - £11936.55 Debt at worst - £12600.55 Current Debt (01/03/2012) £8,859.51 29.7% Paid off
    Honeymoon Fund £410.40/£6000 House Deposit £1.50
    :A Proud to be dealing with my debts. DFW Nerd 1177 :A
  • marcellep
    wicked!! so need to get him to ring HMRC now then, that will be a job for tomorrow :D thanks marcellep

I am going to call too :)

Good Luck and I will await an update
  • Hi, I have not been in work for the last 2 years, before that I was employed but received sick pay and then maternity pay. Can anyone tell me if it is possible for me to check the tax I paid prior to my employment ending?
  • marcellep
    edited 9 November 2010 at 10:13PM
    Hi, I have not been in work for the last 2 years, before that I was employed but received sick pay and then maternity pay. Can anyone tell me if it is possible for me to check the tax I paid prior to my employment ending?

Do you have a P60 for the period you wish to check? If so that holds the information you need.

Or

Your final Wage slip as I think that contains the same information for that tax year

Or you could ask your previous employer for a copy
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    marcellep wrote: »
    Guess if it says that they are due us £££:beer:

Mine says there is a difference of £65 between the tax free allowance for my age and the one in my tax code.

This is true - I would normally be on a tax code of 647L but I have a tax code of 654L. 647L gives me a personal allowance of £6475 and tax code 654L gives me a personal allowance of £6545 so difference is actually £70, not £65.

This means I actually pay less tax amounting to 20% of £70 so £14.

However I know my code is correct as I receive an allowance for professional subscriptions.

To be honest I really don't think it tells you anything useful.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic

What is his tax code?
  • marcellep
    jem16 wrote: »
    Mine says there is a difference of £65 between the tax free allowance for my age and the one in my tax code.

This is true - I would normally be on a tax code of 647L but I have a tax code of 654L. 647L gives me a personal allowance of £6475 and tax code 654L gives me a personal allowance of £6545 so difference is actually £70, not £65.

This means I actually pay less tax amounting to 20% of £70 so £14.

However I know my code is correct as I receive an allowance for professional subscriptions.

To be honest I really don't think it tells you anything useful.

Awww I was hoping for a wee bonus, so u think I am due Nothing
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport