IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Yet another ParkingEye fine thread

Comments

• Purpleee
    Purpleee Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 June 2019 at 11:22AM
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Not the SAR, no.

But you do need to email the enforcement team as the NEWBIES thread tells you, to try to rescue it and even get a late replacement POPLA code if you push and push.

Even though the NEWBIES thread section on LBCs tells you that ParkingEye are a bit different and to email them (I am not talking just about a SAR).

So I've composed this email to the litigation team:
    Dear Parking Eye Enforcement Team,

This is a polite email to request a POPLA extension against PCN ***. I have already requested a Subject Access Request and I have contacted the landowners regarding the matter and await their response.

In light of the above two things, I would like an extension with POPLA. On the other hand, if Parking Eye so wish, they can cancel proceedings and no further action would be necessary.

I look forward to your reply.

Any good? I've also emailed the retailer to either waive the fine or give me the contact details of their head office and CEO
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Edit the code number above

Never reveal personal info on the internet
  • Purpleee
    Redx wrote: »
    Edit the code number above

Never reveal personal info on the internet

Sorry I know, I overlooked it. Edited out, thank you
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    In light of the above two things, I would like an extension with POPLA.
    They will not give any extension for you to appeal to POPLA. They will provide you with absolutely no assistance which might see them losing to you. Pointless asking.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2019 at 1:53AM
    I didn't tell you to ask for an 'extension' with POPLA.

You need to word it right and that is far too polite, and doesn't mention their duties under the PAP for Debt Claims, to resolve disputes out of court if possible.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Purpleee
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I didn't tell you to ask for an 'extension' with POPLA.

You need to word it right and that is far too polite, and doesn't mention their duties under the PAP for Debt Claim as to resolve disputes out of court if possible.

I re-worded it before I sent it to ask for a late replacement code. I've not gotten a reply. Today I've sent another email and made a point of making an effort to keep the matter out of court. Thank you
  • Purpleee
    Hello all,

Further to the previous posts, I found a letter today from PE!

Dated 16/07/19 (Annoying that I only found it now), it says:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your correspondence in relation to the parking charge incurred on ...

We are writing to advise you that have received your reply to our LBC and that we have noted your request for Alternative Dispute Resolution. We have now provided you with a POPLA code to enable you to lodge an independent appeal. For further information, please see below and enclosed.

Please be advised:
    - There is an independent appeals service (POPLA) which is available to motorists who have had an appeal rejected by a British Parking Association Approved Operator.
    - As a gesture of goodwill, we have reinstated the discount period for a further 14 days from the date of this correspondence. If you appeal to POPLA and your appeal is unsuccessful, you will not be able to pay the discounted amount in settlement of the parking charge, you will be liable for the full amount
    - By law, we are also required to inform you that Ombudsman Services provides an alternative dispute resolution service that would be competent to deal with your appeal. However, we have not chosen to participate in their alternative dispute resolution service. As such should you wish to appeal then you must do so to POPLA as explained above.
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Once the snowball is rolling down the hill, PE rarely pull out of a court case, unless something significant of disadvantage to them crops up.

Please check your Notice to Keeper (the very first postal notification of the parking charge - not any of the subsequent letters from PE), does the reverse page of it contain a paragraph about the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, which commences 'You are notified under paragraph 9(2)(b) of Schedule 4 ..... '. And a further paragraph which commences 'You are warned that if, after 29 days from the date given ....'?

In an email dated 19/07/19, I received the SAR response, and I've checked the initial notice and it does contain that paragraph on the reverse

So as I know I've gotten the letter late, any further input regarding how to proceed would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We have now provided you with a POPLA code to enable you to lodge an independent appeal.
    So why do you need help, you have the POPLA code I told you that you could get.

The NEWBIES thread post #3 covers POPLA.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Purpleee
    edited 25 August 2019 at 12:33PM
    Right so here goes with the appeal. Any alterations would be much appreciated! I haven't included a point about signage because 1, I don't have any photographic evidence, 2. The parking place is about 40 miles from me. Also, that's why they're numbered incorrectly (2., 3., etc without a number 1 - I will adjust this afterwards).. So again, I would be grateful for any suggestions, and I thank everyone for their input thus far

EDIT: I'd also be grateful if someone could help me word extra points
    1. Exorbitant fine for the amount of time overstayed
    2. No proof that the PCN was received within 14 days
    Dear POPLA,
    PCN Number: XXXXXXX
    POPLA Verification Code: xxx

I write to you as the registered keeper of the vehicle xxxx, I wish to appeal the £100 Parking Charge Notice (PCN) issued by ParkingEye Ltd.

As the keeper of the car, I wish to put forward to you that a ticket was purchased for the hour the car was parked in the Mecca Bingo Car Park. On 09/03/19, the driver paid for 2 hours parking via an app, which usually notifies the driver when parking is about the runout. It failed to do so on this occasion and as a result, the driver inadvertently overstayed by 32 minutes. The driver’s intentions were honourable as they had paid for parking.

Therefore, I submit the reasons below to show that I am not liable for the parking charge:

2. Keeper Liability Requirements and the Protection of Freedom Act
    3. No evidence of Landowner Authority
    4. ANPR Accuracy and Compliance
    5. No Contract was entered into between the Parking Eye and the Driver or Registered keeper

2. The operator has not shown that the individual who it is pursuing is in fact the driver who may have been potentially liable for the charge

In cases with a keeper appellant, yet no POFA 'keeper liability' to rely upon, POPLA must first consider whether they are confident that the Assessor knows who the driver is, based on the evidence received. No presumption can be made about liability whatsoever. A vehicle can be driven by any person (with the consent of the owner) as long as the driver is insured. There is no dispute that the driver was entitled to drive the car and I can confirm that they were, but I am exercising my right not to name that person.

In this case, no other party apart from an evidenced driver can be told to pay. I am the appellant throughout (as I am entitled to be), and as there has been no admission regarding who was driving, and no evidence has been produced, it has been held by POPLA on numerous occasions, that a parking charge cannot be enforced against a keeper without a valid NTK.

As the keeper of the vehicle, it is my right to choose not to name the driver, yet still not be lawfully held liable if an operator is not using or complying with Schedule 4. This applies regardless of when the first appeal was made and regardless of whether a purported 'NTK' was served or not, because the fact remains I am only appealing as the keeper and ONLY Schedule 4 of the POFA (or evidence of who was driving) can cause a keeper appellant to be deemed to be the liable party.

The burden of proof rests with the Operator to show that (as an individual) I have personally not complied with terms in place on the land and show that I am personally liable for their parking charge. They cannot.

Furthermore, the vital matter of full compliance with the POFA was confirmed by parking law expert barrister, Henry Greenslade, the previous POPLA Lead Adjudicator, in 2015:

Understanding keeper liability
    'There appears to be continuing misunderstanding about Schedule 4. Provided certain conditions are strictly complied with, it provides for recovery of unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the vehicle.

There is no 'reasonable presumption' in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort. Further, a failure by the recipient of a notice issued under Schedule 4 to name the driver, does not of itself mean that the recipient has accepted that they were the driver at the material time. Unlike, for example, a Notice of Intended Prosecution where details of the driver of a vehicle must be supplied when requested by the police, pursuant to Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, a keeper sent a Schedule 4 notice has no legal obligation to name the driver. [...] If {POFA 2012 Schedule 4 is} not complied with then keeper liability does not generally pass.'

Therefore, no lawful right exists to pursue unpaid parking charges from myself as keeper of the vehicle, where an operator cannot transfer the liability for the charge using the POFA.

This exact finding was made in 6061796103 against ParkingEye in September 2016, where POPLA Assessor Carly Law found:
    ''I note the operator advises that it is not attempting to transfer the liability for the charge using the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and so in mind, the operator continues to hold the driver responsible. As such, I must first consider whether I am confident that I know who the driver is, based on the evidence received. After considering the evidence, I am unable to confirm that the appellant is in fact the driver. As such, I must allow the appeal on the basis that the operator has failed to demonstrate that the appellant is the driver and therefore liable for the charge. As I am allowing the appeal on this basis, I do not need to consider the other grounds of appeal raised by the appellant. Accordingly, I must allow this appeal.''

3. No evidence of Landowner Authority - the operator is put to strict proof of full compliance with the BPA Code of Practice

As this operator does not have a proprietary interest in the land then I require that they produce an unredacted copy of the contract with the landowner.

The contract and any 'site agreement' or 'User Manual' setting out details - such as any 'genuine customer' or 'genuine resident' exemptions or any site occupier's 'right of veto' charge cancellation rights, and of course all enforcement dates/times/days, and the boundary of the site - is key evidence to define what this operator is authorised to do, and when/where.

It cannot be assumed, just because an agent is contracted to merely put some signs up and issue Parking Charge Notices, that the agent is authorised on the material date, to make contracts with all or any category of visiting drivers and/or to enforce the charge in court in their own name (legal action regarding land use disputes generally being a matter for a landowner only).

Witness statements are not sound evidence of the above, often being pre-signed, generic documents not even identifying the case in hand or even the site rules. A witness statement might in some cases be accepted by POPLA but in this case I suggest it is unlikely to sufficiently evidence the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement.

Nor would it define vital information such as charging days/times, any exemption clauses, grace periods (which I believe may be longer than the bare minimum times set out in the BPA CoP) and basic but crucial information such as the site boundary and any bays where enforcement applies/does not apply. Not forgetting evidence of the only restrictions which the landowner has authorised can give rise to a charge, as well as the date that the parking contract began, and when it runs to, or whether it runs in perpetuity, and of course, who the signatories are: name/job title/employer company, and whether they are authorised by the landowner to sign a binding legal agreement.

Paragraph 7 of the BPA CoP defines the mandatory requirements and I put this operator to strict proof of full compliance:

7.2 If the operator wishes to take legal action on any outstanding parking charges, they must ensure that they have the written authority of the landowner (or their appointed agent) prior to legal action being taken.

7.3 The written authorisation must also set out:

a. the definition of the land on which you may operate, so that the boundaries of the land can be clearly defined

b. any conditions or restrictions on parking control and enforcement operations, including any restrictions on hours of operation

c. any conditions or restrictions on the types of vehicles that may, or may not, be subject to parking control and enforcement

d. who has the responsibility for putting up and maintaining signs

e. the definition of the services provided by each party to the agreement

4. ANPR Accuracy and Compliance

I require ParkingEye Ltd to present records as to the dates and times of when the cameras at this car park were checked, adjusted, calibrated, synchronised with the timer which stamps the photos and generally maintained to ensure the accuracy of the dates and times of any ANPR images. This is important because the entirety of the charge is founded on two images purporting to show my vehicle entering and exiting at specific times. It is vital that ParkingEye Ltd must produce evidence in response to these points and explain to POPLA how their system differs (if at all) from the flawed ANPR system which was wholly responsible for the court loss by the Operator in ParkingEye v Fox-Jones on 8 Nov 2013. That case was dismissed when the judge said the evidence from the Operator was 'fundamentally flawed' as the synchronisation of the camera pictures with the timer had been called into question and the operator could not rebut the point.

So, in addition to showing their maintenance records, I require ParkingEye Ltd in this case to show evidence to rebut this point: I suggest that in the case of my vehicle being in this car park, a local camera took the image but a remote server added the time stamp. As the two are disconnected by the internet and do not have a common "time synchronisation system", there is no proof that the time stamp added is actually the exact time of the image. The operator appears to use WIFI which introduces a delay through buffering, so "live" is not really "live". Hence without a synchronised time stamp there is no evidence that the image is ever time stamped with an accurate time. Therefore I contend that this ANPR "evidence" from this Operator in this car park is just as unreliable as the ParkingEye system in the Fox-Jones case and I put this Operator to strict proof to the contrary.

In addition, the unreliable/unsynchronised ANPR system used, and lack of information about the use of data, is not compliant with the BPA Code of Practice, which contains the following:
    ''21 Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR)
    21.1 You may use ANPR camera technology to manage, control and enforce parking in private car parks, as long as you do this in a reasonable, consistent and transparent manner. Your signs at the car park must tell drivers that you are using this technology and what you will use the data captured by ANPR cameras for.
    21.2 Quality checks: before you issue a parking charge notice you must carry out a manual quality check of the ANPR images to reduce errors and make sure that it is appropriate to take action. Full details of the items you should check are listed in the Operators Handbook.
    21.3 You must keep any ANPR equipment you use in your car parks in good working order. You need to make sure the data you are collecting is accurate, securely held and cannot be tampered with.
    21.4 It is also a condition of the Code that, if you receive and process vehicle or registered keeper data, you must:
    a; be registered with the Information Commissioner
    b; keep to the Data Protection Act
    c; follow the DVLA requirements concerning the data
    d; follow the guidelines from the Information Commissioner's Office on the use of CCTV and ANPR cameras, and on keeping and sharing personal data such as vehicle registration marks.''

At this location, there are merely a couple of secret small cameras up high on a pole. No signs at the car park clearly tell drivers about this technology nor how the data captured by ANPR cameras will be used. This means the system does not operate in a reasonable, consistent and transparent manner, and I have reason to believe that, potentially, every section of paragraph 21 is breached here. Unless the Operator can show documentary evidence otherwise, then this BPA Cop breach would also point to a failure to comply with the POFA 2012 (keeper liability requires strict compliance), a failure to comply with the ICO terms of registration and a breach of the CPUTR 2008 (claiming to comply with the BPA Code of Practice when I believe it is not the case). This Operator is put to strict proof to the contrary.

5. No Contract was entered into between the Parking Eye and the Driver or Registered keeper

Although I was not the driver of the event, I would like to point out that the signs at the car park in question are unsuitable to inform drivers of the full terms and conditions of what they are entering into by physically entering the car park. ParkingEye clearly relies on contract law, but does not do enough to make clear what the terms and conditions of the contract are, making it far too easy for people to unwittingly fall outside the terms of contract. It is not appropriate for a car park such as this to have such a limited amount of signs and rely on drivers to look carefully for where and how the terms are displayed. It is surely the responsibility of ParkingEye Ltd to make the terms of their contract far clearer so that drivers have no doubt whatsoever of any supposed contract they may be entering into. I require ParkingEye Ltd to provide evidence as to how clear the terms and conditions are and consider if the methods used are clear enough for this type of car park. I would specifically like them to look into how clear the signs are that inform drivers that ANPR cameras are in use on this site.

Furthermore, a contract can only be considered to be entered into if enough evidence exists that it actually happened. For a contract to have been entered into the driver would have had to get out of the car, read the signs, fully interpret and understand them and then agree to them. None of which ever actually happened.

I request that ParkingEye Ltd provide concrete evidence that a contract existed between themselves and the driver on the day in question, which meets all the legal requirements of forming a contract. They should include specific things including, agreement from both parties, clarity and certainty of terms etc. If they are not met then the contract would be deemed unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

Many Thanks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Include signage, as the deep alluded to

Nobody cares how far away it is, put them to strict proof, you will see signage in their evidence pack when you get it, but you must include it regardless

Google maps may also show pictures of the signage, it's the signage that forms the contract and I doubt the signage here matches the Beavis case

Also include any pofa failures and BPA Cop failures too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport