IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ES Parking IAS

Tabz123
Tabz123 Posts: 159 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 11 June 2018 at 10:03PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi All,

A newbie here. Firstly apologies as I know most posts request reading of the newbies area and request not to ask individual questions.I have trawled the newbies section for hours and could not conclusively decide how to proceed.

My situation is that the vehicle (of which I am the Keeper) was parked and ticket purchased. ES contest it was not. Most likely scenario is that the warden did not see the ticket on the dash (a possible obstruction of the dash vent?)

I have responded to the PCN as the keeper (as I was not aware PCNs can be challenged until I did some 'googling' and joined this forum!).

In my appeal as the keeper of the vehicle, a copy of the ticket was sent to ES. Of course this was rejected.

Please advise...
:cool:

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 June 2018 at 9:42PM
    There is nothing for you to do now except read post #4 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread to understand how to deal with the inevitable debt collector's letters.

Post again on this thread if ever you receive a Letter Before Claim or official court correspondence.
  • Tabz123
    edited 11 June 2018 at 10:06PM
    Hello,

So I have looked into a few ES Parking stories and ascertained that the ones about 'over turned' tickets are specific in that the face of the ticket could not be 'read'. IAs the keeper however I believe the purchased ticket was still upright and on the dash. However in my appeal to the ES (as the Keeper) my response details that 'your attendant may have missed the ticket due to a possible obstruction of the vent...

Also a few threads mention that when going to court it has been favourable to show 'appeal and then rejection' to the IAS?

In addition the appeal to ES was sent by post and the postal receipt not retained, though I have a copy of their rejection letter acknowledging my appeal as the registered keeper.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    save it for any future court case, no point speculating now

you wont find many people on here, if any , would tell you to appeal to the IAS

gather your evidence etc , and keep it all in a folder for 6 years

send ES a SAR bomb under the new GDPR

come back if you receive a formal LBC under the new PaP , and/or an MCOL from Northampton CCBC within 6 years

meanwhile , sit on your hands
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So The Driver told The Keeper about the possible position of the ticket on the dashboard, your honour. No worries.

Appeal and rejection by the IAS will only encourage the scammers, and may persuade a judge in their favour.

They must have received the appeal in order to respond, so proof of posting is irrelevant.

What you should be concentrating on now is sending the scammers, and the DVLA an SAR. Details of how to do this can be found in a thread beginning "June 2018 ..."

You should also complain to your MP and Sir Greg Knight MP about this unregulated scam.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    However in my appeal to the ES I mention (stupidly) that 'your attendant may have missed the ticket due to a possible obstruction of the vent...have I dammed myself here?
    You're making the assumption they read any of this stuff.
    Also a few threads mention that when going to court it has been favourable to show 'appeal and then rejection' to the IAS?
    Which threads are they? Links please.

You most certainly don't want a PPC to be waving a decision from an 'independent' adjudicator, invariably backing their position, in front of a Judge. Puts you immediately on the back foot, especially if also up against a grumpy Judge who is swaying towards the PPC.

ESPEL are litigious, so you may well be faced with court proceedings before too long. Easily defendable - and the forum will help.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    That would be daft.

The NEWBIES thread makes it clear (except with PCM who are worth poking with a sharp stick and a blunt IAS Assessor) forget the IAS.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Tabz123
    I think I have trawled the forum too long and perhaps am confusing myself with what I have 'perceived' to have read. I have always contested unfairness in the past and am passionate about seeing this one through.

Short story but few years ago NCP towed my car for parking on a 'disabled bay' but I after pursuing the case, getting a genuine person with a disability to demonstrate on video the impossibility of using the bay, I got back my £200 (for tow and impound costs). The disable bay had its paint removed and the metal identifying badge had been ripped off, yet they claimed the bay was still valid. But all was well after a few well written letters, and videos and measurements of the bay!

After reading all the posts of advice/support I am definitely going to see this one through!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There is a wonderful thread on pepipoo about NCP having to pay £87 grand in costs after they towed someone's car away.
    Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Tabz123 wrote: »
    I think I have trawled the forum too long and perhaps am confusing myself with what I have 'perceived' to have read. I have always contested unfairness in the past and am passionate about seeing this one through.

no problem with you contesting unfairness, but the IAS is unfair, so do your contesting at LBC and MCOL stages
  • Tabz123
    edited 11 June 2018 at 9:54PM
    Update:

I have now emailed my SAR to DVLA via SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gsi.gov.uk as well as sending a SAR by post to the PPC.

Finally I wrote a short email complaint to my local MP, local councillor and also Sir Knight.

Will keep you all appraised of any updates.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure