Safety socket covers - UNSAFE

Comments

• MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've always hated these things.

I'd face disciplinary action in work if I purposely defeated a safety mechanism. Which essentially, these things are doing, then putting a cover over it.

And usually one of the first things I do with an apprentice, is hand over a Martindale and ask him to test for power at the nearest socket. Then leave them a while.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    YES
    Ive just watched my 13 month old son pull two of these out of the socket then try and plug them back in. Now he knows how to do it it takes him around 5 seconds. My wifes parents have bought one for every plug socket. Ive always known they are pointless but didnt know they were potentially dangerous.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    YES
    That fatally flawed website is awful.

It's not clear to navigate, unpleasing to the eye and does not grab my attention straight away about why they are unsafe.

However, I did read a little.
    While I don't have any in my house, I hardly think a child will get one out to then insert it upside down... just so they can stick their fingers in. I struggle to get them out as an adult!

My 13 month old son can get them out with ease in seconds he goes round the edges pulling until he can get his fingers behind. He the tries to plug them back in like its a game.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NO
    And you're not teaching him plug sockets are not toys?
    I mean, kids can be taught what's right and what's wrong... even after their persistence in being naughty.

I'm not fussed either way. If a child stuck a pen in the top hole, then another in another hole, you potentially have a problem. These plastic covers help stop that. I understand the dangers, but I'm not convinced by the website claims. But then as I say, I don't have any covering my plugs as I'd rather buy a burger instead.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    YES
    I'm not fussed either way. If a child stuck a pen in the top hole, then another in another hole, you potentially have a problem. These plastic covers help stop that.
    But the standard socket is so designed that the slots are too narrow for most pens.

The plastic covers, however, are specially made to open the safety shutters ready for little fingers.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NO
    Too small for a pen yet small enough for a child's finger? I mean, if the child is a baby maybe, but as soon as they're able to travel around by themselves, I would suggest their fingers would be about as thick as a pen. Maybe not, and I appreciate fingers are squidgy, but not that much.

I'm not sure I know of any children that:

are strong enough to remove the cover AND
    have thin enough fingers AND
    decide to turn the switch on AND
    manage to lodge their finger into the correct part of the socket.

That's quite a lot of bad luck if they manage to complete ALL the required tasks for electrocution.

The plastic covers also cover the two holes at the bottom. If you manage to remove the plug, the safety covers will close.
  • They don't need to be banned.

They're non-conductuve and once plugged in are not the easiest of things to remove.

Besides that tell your child it's wrong and not to touch
  • YES
    !!! wrote: »
    They don't need to be banned.

They're non-conductuve and once plugged in are not the easiest of things to remove.

Besides that tell your child it's wrong and not to touch

Using them invalidates some socket warranties and the 'safety socket covers' do not meet the standards for a plug or a socket (BS1363) as they are neither a plug or a socket.
    baldly going on...
  • Any evidence to show standard sockets are dangerous?
  • YES
    Any evidence to show standard sockets are dangerous?

None, because they aren't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure