Removal companies, Glasgow area

Options
kayl
kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
I wonder whether anyone could recommend any decent removal companies in the Glasgow area. I am splitting up from my husband, and so money is (inevitably) an issue, but so is the sheer physical task of moving - last time, we did most of it ourselves.
Our house just now is large, spread over 4 floors, and I'll be moving with 3 kids to something much smaller, so it's going to take a lot of organisation/ebaying/charity shopping to ditch a lot of stuff.
Do the companies generally provide packing cases, and does anyone know roughly how much it is likely to cost?
Thanks in advance - all advice appreciated

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I can't give a recommendation but can offer some advice.

Yes, companies will provide packing cases and will pack for you. However the real pain is unpacking, try to get quotes that include unpacking.

Companies will try to sell you insurance cover, check with your home insurer to see if you are already covered and what the limits are.

There are web sites, for finding removal company quotes, that work the same way as motor insurance comparison sites. You enter the details and they get quotes from a number of companies for you to compare. reallymoving.com is one but there are others if you Google.
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kayl wrote: »
    Do the companies generally provide packing cases, and does anyone know roughly how much it is likely to cost?
    Thanks in advance - all advice appreciated

We're not Glasgow area and we haven't moved yet, but Fife to Falkirk (around 30 miles) for a 3 bed house quotes are around £600-£1000. That's without any packing or unpacking (we do all that ourselves). The removals trade organisation BAR has an online quotes system but they all recommend getting a man out to have a look - they can estimate the amount of work involved much better than the online system. See the BAR website at http://www.bar.co.uk/consumer/GuidestoMoving/GuidetoUKResidentialMoving.aspx

Wherever I look the main advice seems to be to offload as much as you can beforehand - and it takes a lot longer to pack and to get rid of things than you think it will. So far I am in agreement on both points!

All removals companies will provide boxes - but you may find it's cheaper to buy them separately. I lucked out and got a big batch on Freecycle, always worth a try.

Good luck!
  • delerium
    delerium Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    We moved from a high rise (9th floor) 2 bed roomed flat to a 3 bedroomed house 3 miles up the road and used flat2flat removals who I found on gumtree. they were great they supplied loads of boxes as part of the package and cost £300. It took them all day and we had a lot more than they had bargained for but they stuck with it and they didn't even try and shift on the original quote. The boys were fantastic and even took it upon theirselves to repair a bed we had which we were going to chuck it out at no extra cost!

Just googled them and their web address is http://www.flat2flat.co.uk/1/1/Home/Removals_in_Glasgow.html
  • jamduff
    Options
    We moved from a 3 bed house to a 4 bed house and after much research and several companies visiting our property, we went with Caledonian Moving & Storage.

They supplied boxes at less than half the cost of the ones we bought online last time we moved. Also they did not charge any extra for insurance.

They did all the packing for us the day before we moved, the packing team were were trained to pack export shipments and were very good. As with all the compaines, they could only unpack onto a flat surface so we decided it would be easier to unpack the boxes at our own pace rather than have all the contents emptied and having to spend the whole night puting everything away.

they did make sure boxes with essential items were kept seperate so we cold unpack them straight away, and they came back a week later when we had unpacked and took all the empty boxes away for free.

We actually found this company through reallymoving then googled them and they had a stack of great reviews.

If you google removals glasgow you will findthem on the first page somewhere.

We are having ane xtension built when the weather gets better and will be using them for storage, will post again to say how this went.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    jamduff wrote: »
    We actually found this company through reallymoving then googled them and they had a stack of great reviews.

An interesting first time post.

Anyone thinking of using this company would be very wise to check their reviews.

http://www.bview.co.uk/listing/2389611/Caledonian-Moving--Storage-in-G22

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?253666-Problems-with-Glasgow-Removal-Company
  • lauzt1987
    lauzt1987 Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    delerium wrote: »
    We moved from a high rise (9th floor) 2 bed roomed flat to a 3 bedroomed house 3 miles up the road and used flat2flat removals who I found on gumtree. they were great they supplied loads of boxes as part of the package and cost £300. It took them all day and we had a lot more than they had bargained for but they stuck with it and they didn't even try and shift on the original quote. The boys were fantastic and even took it upon theirselves to repair a bed we had which we were going to chuck it out at no extra cost!

Just googled them and their web address is http://www.flat2flat.co.uk/1/1/Home/Removals_in_Glasgow.html

I would also highly reccomment flat to flat. I've used them twice - very efficient and really nice guys.
  • fraoch01
    Options
    I would also highly recommend Flat2Flat. They were absolutely fantastic when we moved from a 2 bed flat to a 3 bed house. The removal company we had initially booked had been an nightmare and not delivered boxes when promised so we decided to try Flat2Flat. I phoned for a quote and they were so helpful we decided immediately to use them, and the free boxes were delivered within the hour. Unfortunately we had a bit of a nightmare and our moving date was changed last minute several times, however Flat2Flat were brilliant and took a huge weight off our mind. The guys were extremely helpful and friendly and I can't recommend them enough.
  • booler
    booler Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Options
    Errrm the original post was almost three years ago?
    "Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe so, but new people do come looking for suggestions and actual experience.

I too can recommend flat2flat, our daughter just used them to move and they were very efficient, friendly and keenly priced.
  • lauraland
    lauraland Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    Options
    Another recommendation for Flat2Flat from me! I used them on my last move and plan to use them again for my next. The 2 guys were really friendly and worked their derrieres off, the price was excellent and the free boxes were an added bonus.
    I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport