Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options

Comments

• Revex
    Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paddytt wrote:
    Just an update - I received my new Electron card from A&L, and successfully paid for our Ryanair flights without paying any fee! Saved £12 against the credit card fee that they normally charge!

I feel much better now.

TT

I suprised you would have got charged this fee on your visa delta card with A + L as the visa debit that you had aka visa delta card its a DEBIT card like the visa electron. My friend is with barclays and has a visa delta/debit card and was not charged any fee when booking flights with ryanair.
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    Revex wrote:
    My friend is with barclays and has a visa delta/debit card and was not charged any fee when booking flights with ryanair.
    How recently was this? About a year ago you could select Electron from the menu but put in a Visa debit card number and get away without paying the surcharge. However last time I tried this (in Feb this year I think) it didn't work and I had to pay the surcharge.

Abbey will let you have an Electron and Visa debit card on the same account so you don't have to "downgrade". I try and suggest this to my customers when I notice a Ryanair booking on their account summary.
  • Revex
    Revex Posts: 67 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PBA wrote:
    How recently was this? About a year ago you could select Electron from the menu but put in a Visa debit card number and get away without paying the surcharge. However last time I tried this (in Feb this year I think) it didn't work and I had to pay the surcharge.

Abbey will let you have an Electron and Visa debit card on the same account so you don't have to "downgrade". I try and suggest this to my customers when I notice a Ryanair booking on their account summary.

Perhaps so, im not sure how long ago. I didnt think it was that long but it must have been if they now put a surcharge on delta cards, as he definatly didnt get one or I would have known about it hehe.
  • geoff_s---r
    geoff_s---r Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2012 at 11:12PM
    Options
    >"That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much..."

13% is chickenfeed to get annoyed about Paddy

1p return tickets for me & 2 friends gave me a hit of 6 card payment 'handling charges' to process the one transaction totalling 6p - That would now be £24.06. Would that be a 40,000% increase on the advertised price? The price is still fine, so why do Ryanair want leave you feeling cheated?
  • xiox
    xiox Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it's a con by Ryanair to put hidden costs into tickets. They have to legally have a low cost option for buying tickets, so they choose a card virtually nobody has so that nobody can get the advertised prices. Someone ought to take them to court and see whether there is any basis for the difference in charges between an Electron and any other debit card.
  • StanDupright
    Options
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    paddytt wrote: »
    1. VISA Electron and VISE Delta are NOT the same - Electron is normally for 'basic' bank accounts for students, and those who can't get a 'full' current account.
    TT

Is Visa Delta = Visa Debit?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having made a career of playing the Ryanair system I wanted to hit them with an Electron card payment but was far from keen on opening a `basic` account to get one. The key is that the Electron payment is checked for available funds, thus safeguarding the retailer. Trawling NatWest I find that they offer Gift Cards that are `accepted by Electron equipped retailers world wide, including online`. Go to bank, hand over cash and get a charged card that you can then activate and enter to pay for the Ryanair flight. Drawback is that you need to round the figure up, so torn between letting them keep my 2p change as their `administration fee` or asking for a refund or credit aginst next booking!

Why were you keen to avoid opening a "basic" bank account? I have just opened one with Halifax (Easycash) for buying Ryanair flights. You can apply online and it only takes a few minutes. I have no intention of using it as my main current account - I just keep enough money in there to cover a typical Ryanair purchase and will transfer more in as necessary.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    superstar wrote: »
    Is Visa Delta = Visa Debit?

Visa Delta was the name used in the UK for Visa Debit cards. It is being/has been phased out in favour of Visa Debit.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Ezmondino
    Ezmondino Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    Why were you keen to avoid opening a "basic" bank account? I have just opened one with Halifax (Easycash) for buying Ryanair flights. You can apply online and it only takes a few minutes. I have no intention of using it as my main current account - I just keep enough money in there to cover a typical Ryanair purchase and will transfer more in as necessary.

I would like to know too as I have done the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure