Life insurance and medical records

My life insurance is up for renewal but I was wondering how "honest" I should be when it comes to declaring medical issues and lifestyle choices (e.g. alcohol intake). I don't mean major (and obvious medical problems) but something minor (or can be considered a marker of chance of having a disease) like having an elevated liver function enzyme?!

Comments

• Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I suppose the crux of a claim is simply whether the insurer feels you have been honest on your application. If you know about an abnormal liver function test, and having an enzyme outside of the normal parameters would suggest the liver function is abnormal, then it'd be better to disclose it and ensure you are covered properly than not disclosing it and hoping for the best.

In fact, if you are considering not declaring things like this at all it begs the question as to why you'd bother taking cover out in the first place?
  • daverave7
    daverave7 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Weighty1 wrote: »
    I suppose the crux of a claim is simply whether the insurer feels you have been honest on your application. If you know about an abnormal liver function test, and having an enzyme outside of the normal parameters would suggest the liver function is abnormal, then it'd be better to disclose it and ensure you are covered properly than not disclosing it and hoping for the best.

In fact, if you are considering not declaring things like this at all it begs the question as to why you'd bother taking cover out in the first place?

I did a comparison (moneysupemarket I think) and tried to be as honest as possible but only one insurer would offer me a quote - which I recall was very expensive (in excess of £100 a month). I don't think I'm due to drop dead yet - I'm 42, I'm relatively healthy but I do suffer from Gout and sometimes my blood tests reveal abnormal liver function. I guess another question is, do the insurers have access to medical records that include minor things like blood tests? I'm sure a large percentage of us will have had abnormal blood tests in our life time.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If quotes are high when you declare it then the insurance companies do not consider it a minor thing.

If a claim was made then the company can request you medical record from your GP which will contain details of all test results.
  • daverave7
    Jeepers. Maybe I am on my way out.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My life insurance is up for renewal

What do you mean by renewal? Most renewable term assurances do not require a new disclosure of health but automatically renew with just the premium being adjusted. Or do you mean your existing term is expiring?
    I was wondering how "honest" I should be when it comes to declaring medical issues and lifestyle choices (e.g. alcohol intake).

Effectively you are asking should you commit fraud or not. So, what do you think the answer is going to be to that?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • daverave7
    dunstonh wrote: »
    What do you mean by renewal? Most renewable term assurances do not require a new disclosure of health but automatically renew with just the premium being adjusted. Or do you mean your existing term is expiring?

Effectively you are asking should you commit fraud or not. So, what do you think the answer is going to be to that?

I'm sure some people will say yes. A bit like underestimating the amount of mileage you put on your car to get a cheaper quote.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    daverave7 wrote: »
    I'm sure some people will say yes. A bit like underestimating the amount of mileage you put on your car to get a cheaper quote.

You are right, they would. Research has suggested that 8 out of 10 people are prepared to defraud the insurance companies.

However, with life assurance, it is pure folly to lie. If you die as a result of anything that can be linked to a pre-existing condition or lifestyle position that you did not declare then they can refuse to pay out. The last thing you want is your loved ones to not get a pay out when they need it.

How many units of alcohol are you referring to? We recently had a 21 units a week case go through with no rating on the policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I used to consume around 100 units a week but now I'm down to around 40.
  • Weighty1
    Weighty1 Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    daverave7 wrote: »
    I used to consume around 100 units a week but now I'm down to around 40.

I think you are going to struggle then. At 100 units/week you'd have been classed as alcohol dependent and generally once people get to that level insurance companies expect them to be tea-total before they'll cover them.

Interestingly, if you always drank 40 units/week then some companies would still offer the standard premium. It's just the past history of 100/units week that's going to cause the problem, especially if it's on your GP records as there's no way of defrauding the insurer cos they'll get the info in black and white from your gp.
  • Weighty1 wrote: »
    I think you are going to struggle then. At 100 units/week you'd have been classed as alcohol dependent and generally once people get to that level insurance companies expect them to be tea-total before they'll cover them.

Interestingly, if you always drank 40 units/week then some companies would still offer the standard premium. It's just the past history of 100/units week that's going to cause the problem, especially if it's on your GP records as there's no way of defrauding the insurer cos they'll get the info in black and white from your gp.

No, that won't be on my GP records. I would have lied to my GP and declared around 50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure