Insurer charging £100 to fit black box they didn't fit

Options
In 2017, I got my first car insurance with insure the box. I paid £50 for them to fit it. In 2018 when I renewed my car insurance I changed to Admiral, who told me they didn't need to install a black box and could just use the one we'd already had fitted previously.

After selling my car, I called to cancel my insurance. As part of the fees, Admiral told me they are charging £100 for fitting of the black box. Admiral did NOT fit the black box, and the black box was already paid for with my previous insurer. It is a non-UK call centre and nobody could understand what I was saying (I think they were under the impression Admiral fitted all the boxes) and I couldn't get through to anyone.

What do I do next? I'm broke atm so I'm super annoyed I'm an extra £100 down than what I should be getting back from them! Surely it's not fair for them to get £100 for a black box 1) they didn't fit and 2) that I already paid for in 2017.

Elle

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Raise a formal complaint.
  • ellemb
    ellemb Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks! Was planning on, but thought checking here was a good idea first :money:
  • xiireeceiix
    Options
    Hi Elle,

If you can find an admiral email address then sending them an email might be the best route at first, you should get through to someone who has half a brain that way :D
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Elle,

If you can find an admiral email address then sending them an email might be the best route at first, you should get through to someone who has half a brain that way :D
    I beg to differ
    Admiral have had one attempt at their non complaints people dealing with this and they havn't been able to do so.

You will lose nothing by putting in a formal complaint and it will be taken far more seriously than contacting an email address that probably goes to the same people in the call center who were unable to understand your problem let alone providing a solution.
    I would also ask for £100 in compensation for the time they have wasted .
    This should also get someone more senior looking at your issue and you might get lucky
    JumbleBumble
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport