Do I have to inform work of a second job?

Options
JackeeBoy
JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 13 January 2019 at 5:18PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi all

I currently work in the insurance industry in a manager role. Recently applied for a weekend customer service role at another financial institution (not insurance). Assuming I get the role, do I have to inform my current company? Also, during the interview stage, what can I say about my current job situation? I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.

Thanks for your help.

Update - Thanks all. I have checked my contract and is states that I can't take up employment with anyone else unless I get this agreed in writing.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JackeeBoy wrote: »
    Hi all

I currently work in the insurance industry in a manager role. Recently applied for a weekend customer service role at another financial institution (not insurance). Assuming I get the role, do I have to inform my current company? Also, during the interview stage, what can I say about my current job situation? I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.

Thanks for your help.

What does your contract say ?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    most jobs require you to tell them about other work. The working time directives about number of hours worked don't make exceptions for different employers, so they have a legitimate interest in what hours you work for other people: https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/working-time-regulations-happens-employees-multiple-jobs/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's pretty common for your contract of employment with the main employer to state that you have to inform them if you intend to take up a 2nd job. They also have the right to refuse you permission. You need to check your contract to see if that is the case with your employer.
    I don't understand why you are concerned about your employer knowing about a 2nd job, but that is not relevant to the question raised. I suspect others may be along soon just asking that exact question. :-)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Breach of trust is a big risk for any multiple job situation.

Both should be aware to avoid any risks of conflict of interest.

Availabilty being one of them.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for your help.

As a manager, what would you think of your staff if you found they had a second job in the same industry and not asked for permission or told you?

As others have said, its likely to be a contractual condition to get permission but, depending on the exact circumstances, you leave yourself open to disciplinary action even if it doesn't.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.

It's extremely likely they'll want references from your current employer. If you tell them you don't want them seeking references it's unlikely you'll get the job, they'll be suspicious and rightly so.

As others have said your contract at your main employer will almost certainly state you've to mention any alternative employment. It's possible they'll refuse you permission, you'll need to decide what's more important then.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are v. likely to require prior consent before undertaking additional employment and you may (will) have to sign a working time opt-out.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • mklister
    mklister Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think most of the employers I've had have stated in my contract that I can only work for them, and therefore can't take additional employment.

I would check what your contract states first.
  • JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all. I have checked my contract and is states that I can't take up employment with anyone else unless I get this agreed in writing. The second job will be ideal as it's working from home on the weekends, but I can see my boss raising an eye brow over it, especially as he will be thinking it may affect my performance.

I'm fortunate to be in the position I am in but the past two years have been tough and I just want to catch a lucky break.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    All you can do is ask. You expect them to refuse but you won't know until you ask. They may agree to a trial period if you put that forward from the outset.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure