Hostel address

Hello Dear Forum

I am about to Fill Self Assessment for online Tax Return .

Throughout the past two months my housing circumstances has changed .
Presently I live and run my admin and graphic design business activities using laptop at one of London's Hostel as well as in any London Library available .

I would like to ask you for advice whether I had to provide Current hostel address to online Self Assessment ,according to HMRC directions on their website about current home address ?

Or can I leave the address details of previous accommodation and shortly after submitting Online Self Assessment Tax Return I would update HMRC about new home address as I am planning to move into a new place within few weeks.

I would be thankful for your advice.

Kind regards
Thomas

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would post sent to your previous address reach you? If not, there's a risk in not updating your address now, but I'd say it's a small one. In our experience, HMRC communicates via your tax account, and sends an email whenever anything changes.

And if you DO use the hostel address, are you confident any post sent there will be forwarded? If not, this is again a risk, but a small one because you can always check things online.

Problems arise when people don't get letters sent to them!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    toprosowsk wrote: »
    Hello Dear Forum

I am about to Fill Self Assessment for online Tax Return .

Throughout the past two months my housing circumstances has changed .
    Presently I live and run my admin and graphic design business activities using laptop at one of London's Hostel as well as in any London Library available .

I would like to ask you for advice whether I had to provide Current hostel address to online Self Assessment ,according to HMRC directions on their website about current home address ?

Or can I leave the address details of previous accommodation and shortly after submitting Online Self Assessment Tax Return I would update HMRC about new home address as I am planning to move into a new place within few weeks.

I would be thankful for your advice.

Kind regards
    Thomas

I would advise that you act in accordance with the declaration you will make
    Declaration

I declare that the information I’ve given on this tax return and any supplementary pages is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.

I understand that I may have to pay financial penalties and face prosecution if I give false information
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Forumite
    pooch wrote: »
    I would advise that you act in accordance with the declaration you will make
    The OP does not appear to be trying to be fraudulent here and I can't see a problem with using a forwarding address until they have a permanent address which seems to be happening soon.

The problem with using the hostel address could be that letters are more likely to be lost going there.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    HMRC will not allow you to use a PO Box number so be careful if you use a temporary address

whether you get mail forwarded to somewhere else depends entirely on whether you trust the place that evicted you, or the the manager of the hostel, to do something for you as a favour for free, and only you can answer that question.

I'll assume you are not in the position to pay Royal mail to redirect at source?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    I'll assume you are not in the position to pay Royal mail to redirect at source?
    ah yes, I didn't think of that, it might be a very good idea to forward mail from your previous address if you possibly can.
  • I trust the place I live in currently .I have no access to my previous accommodation.Therefore the only choice for me is Hostel. If HMRC decides to contact me via Post in current place they are more than welcome .I may by that time find a suitable accommodation and I will not hesitate to update HMRC about it too. Meanwhile Hostel is the only option for my letters. I would be thankful for your comments
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    I don't know how much post you were receiving, or what address you were using for your financial statements etc. However, the Royal Mail redirection service link would definitely be worth using once you have a new address. See here. I would also ask the hostel whether they have arrangements for forwarding post: I work for a charity where some of our service users do spend time in hostels, and we do occasionally get post forwarded to us, but I don't know how speedily they do that and whether it is 'normal' or going the extra mile for them.

I also don't know whether you can change the forwarding address part-way through the redirection process, but I'd ask, and if you can, I'd definitely use it if you possibly can.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Forumite
    There is also Royal Mail Keepsafe

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/keepsafe/

It is not cheap but the OP suggested an arrangement will only need to be in place for a short while.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    There is also Royal Mail Keepsafe

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/keepsafe/

It is not cheap but the OP suggested an arrangement will only need to be in place for a short while.

Keepsafe relates to holding for an address and then delivering it.
    So it would still be going to the hostel/old address. Assuming the OP could pass the security checks,which could be tricky.
    Redirection goes the same and given they have moved from the old address,they may not pass the security checks.
    A mail collect is free. It requires collection every 7 days though and still requires security checks.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1513/~/can-i-have-my-mail-held-for-collection-from-my-local-delivery-office%3F
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure