Charged interest on paid balance?

Options
Hi,

Im with Virgin Atlantic credit cards. Account begin December 6th.

I paid 1950 off 2 weeks before first statment date at beginning of january which left me £30 short of paying in full.

Ive been charged £27 interest on this first month and I dont understand why ?

Any help would be appreciated as I assumed no interest is payable on cleared balance.

Ive been on the phone for an hour to Virgin and they wont tell me how this has been calculated.

Thanks

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because you haven't paid in full.

You only get an interest free grace period if your balance is paid in full.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • ExeCuteUK
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The £30 was a mistake as it wasn't expected on the bill, but I was always under the assumption interest is only paid on the outstanding balance ? I guess I have been wrong !! :(
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interest is calculated daily on the balance and billed monthly.

It may be a good idea to set up a DD to pay in full each month so it doesn't happen in the future. It's a shame to incur so much interest on a relatively small balance left.

Brutal way to learn but hopefully it will just be a one off for you.

If you do go down the DD route make sure you check the date the first one will kick in - it's not always set up in time for the next statement so that may need to be a manual payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    Just on the subject of clearing the balance in full to avoid interest, there are some exceptions.

Barclaycard for example makes a distinction between what it calls your 'main balance' and any 'promotional balances' (such as balance transfers and instalment plans). So, if you have a 0% BT outstanding on your account but also use the card for spending, then as long as you clear your new spending (your 'main balance') each month you will not be charged interest on that spending despite the fact that you are carrying a balance (in the form of a BT) to the next statement.

Only words of caution here (for BT customers) are don't pay any new spending until it has appeared on a statement and check that your CC provider treats promotional balances the same way as Barclaycard does.

I must admit, I thought they all had to do this following the hoo haa of a few years back when all CC providers diverted payments to the 0% BT element first in order to guarantee you incurred interest on your new spending. Sadly, from my limited checking of CC T&Cs, it seems they can still charge you interest on your new spending (even if you clear it) as long as they channel your payments to the 'higher interest' parts of the balance first.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 13 January 2019 at 3:27AM
    Options
    What you are claiming makes NO SENSE if it was a purchase transaction.
    You say the account began 6th December and that you repaid £1950 two weeks before the first statement date at the beginning of January (ie the £1950 had not yet appeared on a statement when you paid it) leaving a balance of £30, which was presumably the balance of the first statement.
    Why did you choose to repay this amount before it had appeared on a statement?
    You should not have been charged interest on purchases on the FIRST statement as you have ot previously had a statement to pay.
    Was the £1950 that you repaid in respect of a cash advance or cash transaction?
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    agreed with Ben - seems like you have either withdrawn cash, used as a cash transaction (gambling sites etc) or paid off a finance agreement (yes, some card do class this as a cash transaction)

could it be that the payment is yet to show on your account, and what you are reading is "estimated" interest for next month if not paid off in full?
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore Rockeye hes a post building spammer lol
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    What you are claiming makes NO SENSE if it was a purchase transaction.
    You say the account began 6th December and that you repaid £1950 two weeks before the first statement date at the beginning of January (ie the £1950 had not yet appeared on a statement when you paid it) leaving a balance of £30, which was presumably the balance of the first statement.
    Why did you choose to repay this amount before it had appeared on a statement?
    You should not have been charged interest on purchases on the FIRST statement as you have ot previously had a statement to pay.
    Was the £1950 that you repaid in respect of a cash advance or cash transaction?

If you don't pay your statement in full aren't you charged interest from the date of purchase until the payment date? So the £1950 would have accrued interest between the purchase date and payment date unless the next statement was paid in full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure