Santander CC First due date set before 1 month

I took out a Santander credit card. As soon as I was allowed, I did a balance transfer which was on the 13th of October. Moments after I did this, I logged into my bank and setup a standing order for the 1st of Nov of £280 recurring each month. Fine you would think.

The due date of the first statement was the 1st Nov which I wasn't aware of when it was issued. My payment arrived on the card on the 1st. So far so good. Second statement was issued. Due date set to the 31st Nov. Second payment arrived (1st Dec). So far so good. 3rd statement issued. Due date set to 3rd Jan. £12 late fee. !!!!!!!

The first I get notification of a problem is today (9th Jane) when I received a sh&t litter saying I am in arrears and that I need to pay up. So this now means not only have I been charged fees. But my zero% deal is invalidated. Lovely. Thank you so much you idiots!!

I then tried to call Santander. 19 mins later cut off. Then again. On hold for 45 mins. Gave up. Sent a complaint online.

My question here is aren't I supposed to have at least 1 month to pay a credit card each month ? Also, how can they set a due date on the first statement for 3 weeks ? Is that legal ? Based on what they have done, if I had use the card 1 day before the due date, they would have charged me a late payment fee.

What Santander have done is absolutely outrageous.

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Why did you not check the due date via online statements? I always set up my SO in accordance with the due date (ie 5 days before the due date). I always set up a minimum payment DD to ensure I stay within contractual terms should the SO fail for any reason.

If it were me, I would contact customer services and admit your error, and ask for another chance (reinstatement of promo), removal of credit file marker and refund of fee. Be super polite and you may get somewhere. Just remember, when you speak to them, that is your error and your responsibility to ensure payment is made before the due date.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    What were your statement issue dates and due dates for each statement, the statement cycle is usually based on application date so the first one could be a short time from issuing the card. Use a direct debit, it is up to the bank to take it at the correct time. If you insist on a standing order you should set it a week before the due date.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The first due date does seem short.....when was the card actually issued?

That said it pays to read your statement and you can't blame Santander for the fact you didn't.

Going in playing the victim won't help you....the fault is yours.
  • No error was made on my part. That's ridiculous!

I was made aware by another credit card provider that when making purchases on a credit card you get at least 4 weeks to make the minimum payment. My first payment was within 3 weeks.

On the basis of what you are saying that means you can have a 1 day due date after buying something. Suppose I had made the money transfer on the 31st of the October, it would then be physically impossible to make the deadline.

My question in this forum is about the due date that was set on the very first statement. Not a grilling thank you!!!
  • molerat wrote: »
    What were your statement issue dates and due dates for each statement, the statement cycle is usually based on application date so the first one could be a short time from issuing the card. Use a direct debit, it is up to the bank to take it at the correct time. If you insist on a standing order you should set it a week before the due date.

I wouldn't know the due date because the statement was yet to be produced. I set it to within 1 month of making the transfer (3 weeks) which is fine.
  • BoGoF
    Different cards....different t and c's.

And as said above the clock starts ticking from date of application not when you first use the card.
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    The first due date does seem short.....when was the card actually issued?

That said it pays to read your statement and you can't blame Santander for the fact you didn't.

Going in playing the victim won't help you....the fault is yours.

Don't be daft! There was no statement to read because it hadn't been produced yet. If you understood what I wrote you understand that this is a first payment on a new card.
  • Sorry dangermouse2 but I do not agree.

Since you say you have already made complaint online, then I feel you will lose the argument if you used the same points (and the same 'victim' attitude)

It is your responsibility to check the due date.
    It is your responsibility to ensure that payments are made before the due date.
    Why did you not set up a DD?
    The mistake is yours. The blame is yours. The responsibility is yours.
    No error was made on my part. That's ridiculous!

I was made aware by another credit card provider that when making purchases on a credit card you get at least 4 weeks to make the minimum payment. My first payment was within 3 weeks.

On the basis of what you are saying that means you can have a 1 day due date after buying something. Suppose I had made the money transfer on the 31st of the October, it would then be physically impossible to make the deadline.

My question in this forum is about the due date that was set on the very first statement. Not a grilling thank you!!!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • BoGoF
    Wow......all I can say is credit cards are clearly not for you......you don't understand them.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I opened a card recently and had the first statement within 5 days of getting the card. Your statement tells you when to pay and how much. It’s seems like you worked out your own payment date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure