Virgin media robbing my Grandmother!

Comments

• Good afternoon all, just to remind all and mention something - my mother (the grandmother) has ALWAYS had SKY TV - I know this because I pay for it and always have.
    As my daughter mentions, there is no VM box or incoming cables to the house and never has been..... The phone line is a standard install BT box.
    As I have just read.... some people 'suspect' a VM system was supplied then VM would of course would be able to demonstrate and prove this. The reason why my daughter has come to MSE about this is to gauge opinion on how to proceed further, as she hasn't had any exposure to taking a claim against a company such as VM before, she is hoping to get opinions or ideas on how to proceed further.

One other thing - what VM claim to be supplying is not a 'tangible product' it is not something that has been supplied or cost them Money to supply.

My daughter (and I) are looking for ideas and guidance on how to proceed..... we are not here to be judged on wether or not a system from VM was supplied.
    The facts are that my mother (stupidly) paid for a service which was billed to my late father (even though VM had been informed of his deaf) and due to my mothers lack of understanding carried on paying the bill.
    Whether or not myself or my daughter should have spotted this years ago is not up for debate, we eventually spotted it and now we look for ways to retrieve back the monies our mother paid out for on a monthly basis for services she never received (and never knew she had in the first place!!)
  • The phone line is connected to the Virgin Media network. Since the VM network also carries broadband and TV, your grandparent(s) were and are capable of receiving ALL Virgin services.

As before, it sounds as if your grandparent arranged for all services at some date and then either removed the cable runs and decoder or simply never bothered to install in the first place. Continuing to pay for all these services, while certainly a waste of money, is hardly the fault of the provider.

The fact is you personally were not there and your grandmother does not know or remember. Any accusations of wrong-doing on Virgin Media's part are therefore simply assumptions

I'm afraid you are introducing no evidence which will not have already been considered by the adjudicator.

Correct, but they would not have then charged the OP's now deceased grandparent for the full range of service, of course.

That could be something worth checking, but I sincerely doubt it will be the case.

Her phone line is connected to the old BT line, they have never had any cables or anything that could support the VM Television services.

The only thing they have ever had installed Television wise is a Sky dish in 2002, that has been used ever since.

My Grandfather before his passing was a very poorly man who was nearly deaf and would not of rang virgin up and requested a TV package nor did they ever receive any equipment and we all know this as fact. I did not come here to be told its my old Grandmothers fault she has been charged for services for 10 years that she has never had.

I came here to ask for help.

I now know that VM Television services can only be used through cable, which she has never had any sort of cable installation at her property not even for her phoneline.

Today I have been round to my grandparents property and taken photographs of the entire property, I have taken photographs of her old fashioned BT phone that is plugged into a standard old BT phone line.

That is it. And if the adjudicator doesn't accept any new evidence I will be taking this to court.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 4:22PM
    OP as you are convinced you are 100% right go to Court dont waste time with the adjudicator .
    Pointless posting on here as its nothing but opinions . Opinions that may not agree with your point of view .

One query others may answer did VM use BT line for phone services circa 2011 ?? As i know at sometime it was stopped .
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Avril1991 wrote: »
    Today I have been round to my grandparents property and taken photographs of the entire property, I have taken photographs of her old fashioned BT phone that is plugged into a standard old BT phone line.

If this is the case and there is a connection to the Openreach network then make sure you look online and compare all the different providers to get the best deal for your grandmother. Don't forget to take into account of how she uses the phone (i.e. any mobile calls, daytime/evening calls).

At least then she will get a good deal going forward and i'm sure you will all be happy to get rid of Virgin Media.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Her phone isn't through cable, its the old BT Telephone Line.

So she is not even in a virgin cabled area and on an old plan they do not offer anymore?

Have you mentioned this to them since it is the only think that is important in your argument so far? At least you would be doing more than rating at them and therfore ensuring they do the minimum to look into your problem.

And even then someone signed up for it and ignored the fact it was never installed and paid for it for years. And no AGE is not an excuse in itself. Try using capacity as an argument if that is the issue.
  • It would be interesting to check on virginmedia.com whether the flat is one that can get Virgin Media TV at all.
  • mac.d wrote: »
    Virgin at very least used to provide an off net phone service.

You learn something new every day, never knew they'd done/do that.
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    So she is not even in a virgin cabled area and on an old plan they do not offer anymore?

Unless I missed it I don't think they've mentioned not being in a Virgin cabled area at all, I'm presuming they are (unless they've moved and the relatives haven't mentioned that).
    I have taken photographs of her old fashioned BT phone that is plugged into a standard old BT phone line.

The phone in use is not material at all, don't bother showing them photos of it as proof.

I'm wondering if perhaps the "Fun TV" part was thrown in as a freebie on a decent phone package for 12 months or so when they originally took the phone package. They would have then started charging them when out of the minimum term.
  • martin64 wrote: »
    One other thing - what VM claim to be supplying is not a 'tangible product' it is not something that has been supplied or cost them Money to supply.

They have "supplied it", whether the customer received it or not is a different matter. And it does cost them money I'm afraid otherwise we'd all have free Virgin TV (personally I wouldn't take it even then).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    OP as you are convinced you are 100% right go to Court dont waste time with the adjudicator .
    Virgin appear to believe they are 100% right too, otherwise they would not have issued the deadlock letter which allowed the OP to approach CISAS (Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme).
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    did VM use BT line for phone services circa 2011 ?? As i know at sometime it was stopped .
    Since it was only ever available in non-cabled areas, I think the question is moot. Virgin would be very unlikely to be charging the OP for a TV service which they could not supply.
    Her phone line is connected to the old BT line, they have never had any cables or anything that could support the VM Television services.
    You need to carefully check that this is indeed the case. Virgin often use the old entry points of other suppliers to avoid drilling new holes. They do not routinely use BT junction boxes, but even that is possible.
    Note also that you need to be in a non-Virgin area to be supplied via BT lines. I sincerely doubt you will find that is the case.
    That is it. And if the adjudicator doesn't accept any new evidence I will be taking this to court.
    That is your prerogative of course, but do be VERY sure of your facts before embarking on a venture which could end up costing you dearly if you lose.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    . I did not come here to be told its my old Grandmothers fault she has been charged for services for 10 years that she has never had.
    Unfortunately that is what you have already been told by Virgin, the CISAS adjudicator and several posters here. I can't see you advancing this unless Virgin agree to settle out-of-court, but that will involve a potentially costly risk to yourself if they do not and you subsequently lose in court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure