Mortgage-free for us 3

Hi all,

I've been lurking on the forums for a few months now. I finally bit the bullet and made myself an account, but it's taken me a few days to get round to starting my MFW diary. I will post an SOA tomorrow or Saturday, depending on how busy my DD keeps me. :D

For now, I'll start with a brief bit about myself and plans for the next few years. I'm in my late 20s and partner is in his mid 30s. We've had a mortgage for the last 4 years and intended to pay it off over the 20 years we'd signed up for. However, reading all the amazing diaries on here has got me itching to clear the balance so that our 300/400 pounds a month can go into a travel fund! Our DD is 7 and I'd really like to be mortgage-free before she's 18. Our 'official' goal is to pay off in 10 years, but my secret goal is to pay it off in 8 or less! ;)

My partner works full-time and I am a full-time student until June. On top of my studies I work part-time and we share pretty much equally housework and entertaining DD (although, if you give her the choice she'd rather play with him!).

This diary is mostly to try and keep myself accountable for the plans I've made and to keep tabs on the extra money I plan to make for our OP pot. I'm aiming to save lump sums for OPs, and we've agreed to adjust our regular payments so that were OPing every month.

Since the 1/1/19 I have made:
£4 on ebay (after fees and p&p)
£30 selling an unused fitbit to my mum
£5 on a chore for my uncle

Surveys to date (amount earned and amount needed to cash out if applicable):
One opinion: £5.10/£25
Vindale: $2.82/$50
Poll Pay: $3.72/$10
Curious cat: £0.36/£1
Qmee: £1.37

I'm also signed up to prolific academic but have yet to receive any surveys for that.
I've requested an extra shift at work (currently only work Saturdays) which should give me an extra £130 a month to throw at the mortgage debt.

Oh! And I've sent off two boxes of books/dvds to Ziffit and WBB so hopefully another £50 in paypal before the end of the month.

Another thing I should mention, I suffer from depression and anxiety sporadically which can sap my motivation. I'm hoping that the structure and accountability from this diary will help reduce the likelihood of me giving up when I hit a rough patch. My main struggle when I'm down is frittering my money on coffees and pay-to-play games on my phone, so will need to be strict with myself.

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome aboard. You'll be addicted to overpaying in no time!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Thanks Shangaijimmy, I'm very jealous of your mortgage with unlimited overpayments! I'm going to have to see if we can switch to First Direct when our fix runs out.
  • Good luck Catless, looking forward to reading your diary :)
  • Just a quick update to say that OH is on board with switching to First Direct at the end of our current fix (2022)! I will get an SOA or equivalent up soon, but I have a uni deadline Monday so it will depend on how disciplined I am!
    Nothing of note to update money-wise. I've finally started to get studies through PA and am up to about £6.30 so will cash out when that clears. A week today we'll make the call to increase our monthly payments, :)
  • Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good luck and welcome! :)
    Choose kind:)
  • Good luck Catless I hope it goes well for you! X
  • Thanks for the kind messages everyone, and sorry for disappearing! I hope you're all well :)

My uni work ending up causing me more grief than I expected and my DD has been having some confidence issues going back to school after Xmas.

I have been plodding along with my OP plan. I've cashed out £5 from swgbcks and £5 PA and some Lego has sold on ebay which I'll get about 40 quid from after fees etc. My student grant for this term has come through as well so a lump of that is going into the OP pot for Friday.
    I'll be back at some point this week (I hope!) With some mortgage figures. Maybe I'll wait until we've spoken to V-money and set up our regular OPs, they should be able to give me a more up-to-date total.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure