Northern Rock PPI 1993

Hi

Im wondering if its possible to claim back any PPI that i may be due. I got married in 1994 and to out a morgage through a broker that was on site when we bought a new build started house. I remember taken out a bundled deal to protect our selves if things went financially wrong. I have moved house 10 years later and have been moving houses - no 5 - since then and have got no paper work at all now proving i was with NR. I remember after we sold the house the kept paying into the morgage as i thought it was like a bank account in a way and paid my monthly fee and let it build up for a rainy day. This i cashed in when i wanted to pay debts of like uni payments and other bits and bobs off around 2007. So i dont have any paperwork but i did have my first morgage with Northern rock in 1994.

Could i possibly be owed if i had PPI and how do i go about it if it was way back in 1994. The broker i dont know who he was as he came and visited the building site and was independant (i remember him saying that)

So i am lost on what to do. 10 years i paid that morgage and i also remember getting money off NR as they gave every account holder a cheque because they floated themselves on the stock market and everyone got some ,oney because of it.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Brokers were not regulated until 2005 (if he was genuinely an independent) so there is no complaint even if he's still trading as he can dismiss it as pre-regulation.
  • As above, I doubt you'll get far, but it could be worth a small wedge to your time to chance your arm and see how far it gets (without getting your hopes too high).
    http://www.n-ram.co.uk/ppi
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I remember taken out a bundled deal to protect our selves if things went financially wrong

As do most people. And it's a sensible thing to do. Which is why so few mortgage related complaints succeed.
    I have moved house 10 years later and have been moving houses - no 5 - since then and have got no paper work at all now proving i was with NR.

Why do you want to prove you were with NR? That is irrelevant.
    I remember after we sold the house the kept paying into the morgage as i thought it was like a bank account in a way and paid my monthly fee and let it build up for a rainy day.

You cannot pay into a mortgage when you sell the house. The mortgage is repaid when the house is sold.
    This i cashed in when i wanted to pay debts of like uni payments and other bits and bobs off around 2007. So i dont have any paperwork but i did have my first morgage with Northern rock in 1994.

Perhaps you are referring to an endowment policy rather than a mortgage.
    Could i possibly be owed if i had PPI and how do i go about it if it was way back in 1994. The broker i dont know who he was as he came and visited the building site and was independant (i remember him saying that)

You havent mentioned anything to do with PPI. And as you bought via a broker, they would not have used NR products. Brokers were not regulated until 2005. So, its pre-regulation.
    So i am lost on what to do.

You do nothing.
    As above, I doubt you'll get far, but it could be worth a small wedge to your time to chance your arm and see how far it gets (without getting your hopes too high).
    http://www.n-ram.co.uk/ppi
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)

Complete and utter waste of time. The OP has already stated that they used a broker.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure